Someone told my son he can't wear a Merit Badge Sash unless it has 6 MBs?

The APL has confused the uniform regulation regarding the long-sleeved uniform shirt with the regulations covering the mb sash.

A scout can wear up to 6 merit badges on the sleeve of the long-sleeve shirt. You can display as few or as many merit badges on the front side of the sash as you want.

My suggestion is sew his merit badges on the sash and wear it at appropriate times.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

We have fought this same myth in our Troop also. It seems like all of the older guys jump on the younger guys when they feel proud enough of their accomplishments to buy and wear a sash. I have had to remind guys a number of times that sashes are permitted with any number of MBs.

Mark

BW:

I figured that was the misconception, about the long sleeve shirt. I know a boy is allowed to wear UP TO 6 MBs on a long sleeve. But nowhere did anything say anything about a minimum MB requirement. I asked my husband and he just shrugged. Even our District Commissioner and our Senior DE said they had never heard of it...

Funny thing is, my son has EARNED 6 MBs but he's only received 5 so he already has sewn 5 MBs on his sash. I am going to tell him to wear the sucker next time. He didn't want to wear it to his BOR last night because he was afraid he would get docked or told he was in the wrong (First BOR) No amount of Mom and Dad trying to convince him was going to help there!

Well thanks, I was pretty sure I was right about that, just wanted to run it by y'all to see if there was something I was missing somewhere.

Give your son a firm scout handshake and hardy pat on the back from me for the work he has accomplished. Then, have him wear his mb sash to any formal occasion that seems appropriate.

If he really wants to give the APL something to stew about, have him sew his favorite temporary patches on the back of the sash (very few people know that is allowed).

Good luck to him as you continues to advance.

Bob

The back of the merit badge sash is really the best place for those really big rectangular patches that won't fit on the uniform anywhere else, like the 50 Miler award or the Historic Trails award. My son worked hard for those and I am glad you cited the regs for him to wear them there without worrying about the patch police. And those big patches look great there, rather than clutter the sash up with lots of little temporary patches. New Scouts can even put the toten chip patch on the sash back so the OA folks won't have a hissy-fit seeing it sewn on the pocket flap.

• 2 years later...

Hissy fit?

The right pocket flap has traditionally been for the OA flap patch. It may not be stated in the regs, but that's where it goes. Optional temporary patches go on the right pocket and apparently on the back of the MB sash.

Since whe does gettin' Totin' Chip get you a patch? Wasn't the card good enough?

When I was youth I remember proudly wearing sash with my two merit badges. I am a unit commissioner now, and after checking my copy of the "Insignia Guide" I can find no mention of a minimum number of merit badges on a sash, only a max of six on the sleeve.

As for the 50 Miler and the Historic Trails awards, these are considered equipment patches and not to be sewn on the uniform or sash. A backpack, patch blanket or vest is where these need to go along with the Paul Bunyan Woodsman award.

The newish Firem'n Chit and Totin' Chip for boy scouts and the Whittling Chip for cubs are temporary patches and should be worn on the right pocket, back of the sash, etc. The only thing that I know of that goes on the right pocket flap besides and OA flap is the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award and its pins.

Well, technically the Tot'n Chip patch can't be worn on the uniform at all. Says so right on the ScoutStuff page where they sell it:

"This emblem is not for uniform wear."

So not only does it not belong on a pocket flap (despite its shape), it's not really a temporary patch either. What is it? A collectible emblem, I guess. I suppose a boy could put it on his backpack.