All that salad

A cub scout in a blue uniform had an interesting circle of patches/badges on his uniform shirt. Under the right pocket there was a circular patch with concentric circle sections about 4 rows. I have seen no mention of these on any of the uniform charts. What could it be?

A local temporary patch. you would have to ask someone in your area as to the event it represents.

The right shirt pocket is the placement area for temporary patches. There are so many different ones that there is no resource that shows them all.

BW

Opps. I was unclear in my question. This is below the temporary patch area. More like on the belly. I did ask the scout but he was shy and the program we were at got noisy and I was unable to continue my question. All of his awards looked perfectly positioned so I'm guessing that what ever this was he was not wearing it incorectly.

It reads like one of those local council/district patches with a basic in the middle, and segments that go around it as Scouts complete various portions of the local program. Sure, they should go in the temporary patch area, but many parents without a uniform/insignia guide will put those things anywhere they'll fit (when I was a Cubmaster, one of my Wolves' mom sewed his Bowl-a-Thon patch above the right pocket where the Jamboree patch goes). Sometimes, we're our own worst enemy -- temporary patches are supposed to fit within the border of the pocket, but many don't. A previous District issued a MB Roundup patch almost the size of a personal pan pizza...

KS

The mom doing the sewing for that Cub might have put it there simply because it is much more difficult to sew stuff onto the pocket rather than below it. Getting your fingers into those little Cub sized pockets with a needle and thread is not easy!

• 4 weeks later...

Its a unit recognition program that seams to differ from Council to Council. My last Council in Idaho had that "Recognition Program" (Segments) for Cubs only. The "main" patch was a Round Council Patch and you would have "Segments" sewn around it. Segments were earned for for any activity the pack wanted to use it for. Usualy for the monthly one, Day Camp, Scouting for food, etc. They had a policy of only Two rings of segments around the Council patch. However I saw many boys with three or even four (that did run down his shirt to his belly).

In my current Council it is used by both Cubs and Scouts. Same type of system, except the main patch is a District patch (we have 19 Districts).

In both Councils this type of program was totaly controled by the unit. The Council just sold the patches and segments.

Boy are they a pain to sew on!

FYI, I believe that there are almost 100 different segments.

Tonight I was able to ask my question at a pack meeting. (All the popcorn sellers got a matchbox and major sellers could win a prize, and they got wraped pinewoods, after they made an edible for the birds tree to put at the local nursing home) You all were right. The center was an L for Lions the sponsoring organization. The segments were for everything the scouts did during the year. The Scout Master came right out and said they are not really supposed to be there but that for time in memorial that is how this pack has done it. He said when they go to council events, council does not really like it but that it was tradition. He said the scouts were earning them and they were holding them for them. I told him that for Christmas my Cub Scout was getting the red scout blanket and we could sew them on it. I don't think my son could pull off being the only Scout in town with a red felt patch vest. He already has hair to his waist so I don't want to add to any differences. I do not expect the pack to ever do a uniform inspection. I think he also owns and wears to meetings the only pair of cub pants in town. Socks too. Are they allowed to put pins on their hats? We have some. I wish someone would ask me to contribuite to a gift for the Wolf leader. I would suggest a gift certificate to the Scout store so she can get a shirt. I think there are 13 Wolfs. There are no Bears. The pack had issues with them when they were Tigers and they all left. What a great time to correct the placement of the shirt pizza salads. I've learned from Girl Scouts that when sewing on patches avoid the folds if you ever want to fold the thing again. Like for a suitcase to travel to a Scout event. I will put my Scouts salad and personal pizza on a red scout blanket. When he is a Boy Scout I will sew them on the back of his merit sash. Maybe since they don't have Bears, so there are only a few older boys that will be leaving shortly to move up that we have an opportunity that the non official patches can be corrected. Maybe if we show the blanket to the troop they will correct the salad on the shirts.