Option for official pants

Yes OGE, the Met as in The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exhibit would NOT be about underwear, but rather clothing that arent pants. Muse was talking about wanting to go there.

The Boxer Rebellion? China? Really, OGE? You know, I LOVE China. (For all of you who don't know it's a toss up between a research trip to China..well, there's still a lot up in the air about it, but that or going back to camp as the Commisioner next summer).

OGE, I am all about going to the Met...you think we can get Uncle Rocket and the rest of the crew to want to go?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh andrewcanoe so much to learn

as you will learn as you become a senior forum member.

some people are not happy unless they are complaining! or cutting other people down or throwing mean and nasty insults around.

But apparently the forum admin does not care what is said on this board.

Okay, so one of my flaws is that I take things at face value, and that's exactly how I'm going to take andrewcanoe's question.

The uniforms are expensive because they are completely made in America and by Union Labor. That is one of the conditions insisted upon by labor, and the national council of the Boy Scouts of America.

If you look at most of the clothing labels in your closet, you'll see something along the lines of "Made in America, Assembled in China, Mexico, etc." on many of the labels. In fact, many garmets are made of American fibers woven into cloth here and sewn together in countries where the hourly wage is significantly lower than that paid in the U.S. The BSA insists that all uniform parts are made and assembled here on our soil by our union workers.

I've made it no secret that I'm a Republican, but I am proud to wear a uniform made by hard-working union members totally within the United States of America -- even if it costs me a few bucks more than one made overseas.

That's what you get when you buy a uniform from national supply. An American made, union made, uniform.

Grouse about the price if you want, grouse about the pockets, or the elastic waist. I have nothing to do with it, but I do like the fact that it is American made by American labor. American hands on American goods.

I've probably over-used the word American in this post, but we are the Boy Scouts of America. The BS of A. Without the "A" we'd just be . . .

DS

"Why are these things so expensive?"

Kilts involve an incredible amount of handwork to do all of the pleats.

" An American made, union made, uniform. "

Right now I'm wearing a pair of jeans that says "made in the USA." They cost me less than $20 and fit well.

Where are your jeans assembled? Assembly is the sewing together part. It takes far more time. At $20.00 I would wager that they are not assembled in the US of A.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps your tag doesn't say where they are assembled. If not, call the company and ask.

DS

dsteele, until people start throwing paper cups at me I repeat (again and again):

I like the fit, the feel, and the look of the official pants. Considering the length of duty one can expect from them, the price is not THAT bad (FOG is going to get me for that one). So there, Dan. Have a nice day :)

Dan, regarding your complaint about complaints, I just wanted to try to break the mould with a positive comment (a contrarian's way of agreeing). Indeed, beautiful weather, memories of the eclipse, students happy, pants on in right direction, couldn't be better.

Man-o-Steele: I was not commenting on the price and/or durability of scout uniform pants but more on the people who were and then rallying behind another item that cost about twice as much and in my opinion would(not could)be worn less often.

FOG:The kilt IS a striking look, it's just not one I would embrace.Call me what you will but I'm happy in my official BSA shorts and long pants.I don't think kilts would go over as well in the state of Iowa as in your home state whereever that may be.