Leader Patches

The "temporary" patches our council has been giving out lately have had either a button hole or a device similar to the top of the Webelos Compass Emblem. You can easily attach the patch to the right pocket button and you don't have to do all that sewing and unsewing (is that a word?).

What I don't understand, is people wish to display their bagdes but are unable to in most situations to do it in an orderly official fashion.

Since there is no Offical BSA jacket that allows you to display your patches, people put their BSA patches on non BSA Jackets and Vests. Is that any better that wearing the BSA Red Wool Jac-shirt with patches all over it in a neat organized fashion?

I have a Red Wool Jac-Shirt handed down to me through family. It has patches dating back to the 1950's on it. It also displays patches I have recieved on it. Its a timeless family heirloom to me. So should I wear it? Well no, not really. Because it is officially incorrect to wear all those patches on it. So that instead, am I supposed to wear a non BSA Jacket or Vest, put patches on it, and wear it with my Official Uniform. SO now I am still doing the Wrong thing "officially" and also not setting the right example...

Im in TOTAL confusion. The safe way to go is put them all in a book and be happy and humble with all your patches.

Thoughts?

I, too, have a red vest, made of a cotton/poly blend. It has a snap, or a zipper if you need it really snug. It has 7 pockets, for notebook, hand sanitizer, altoids, cell phone, etc. I have my name embroidered on it, Troop numerals on the pocket flap, my WB patrol emblem, and am filling the back with patches as I get them.

I don't wear it with the official uniform; only on campouts with the activity uniform. It's a real conversation starter, and helps me keep all the stuff I need to carry with me

I also have a fishing-type vest with many more pockets, but it's heavier and hangs a little farther down -- not as comfortable...

KS

Why not just wear one of the official red vests sold for that purpose OR make your own red vest out of an old red blanket or some red felt?

I keep all of my patches in a big box and pull a different one out each week. I'm getting to the point that I'll have enough patches to go for a couple years without repeating.

• 1 month later...

Seems no one remembers or knows about the official patch jackets that came out in the late 60's and early 70's and lasted at least until the late 70's or early 80's. They were long sleeved cotton windbreakers and people wore patches on the front back and sleeves, if they had alot. Most people put the OA patch in the center of the back. It still have mine and remember that just about everyone used to wear them. It would be great if they would bring them back.

I'm w/ FOG on this one. (Although I admit to buying a second one to wear while keeping the 1st pristine.) Don't know if anyone remembers a Patch Blanket which FOG he also mentioned eralier in the thread (like last October!)

Our unit has access to a school (parish) display case during September & February each year we load it up w/ patches, neckerchiefs or projects to help w/ recruiting.

Bob

• 5 months later...

I am a new Den Leader now that my son is a Tiger cub. When I was a Cub Scout my father was the Cub Master all during my CS days and he wore a Red Vest hand made by my mother. He was very proud of the patches that he collected during his days as Cub Master. When I bridged over to Boy Scouts he did not wear the vest.

There is no rule for or against Adult leader wearing a vest or red jacket displaying his or her patches. I personally don't wear a red vest or jacket but I am thinking about getting Red Wool Jacket but I am not going to put patches on it other than maybe a OA patch.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

I don't have many patches. I do have many embroidered, plastic-backed coasters with lots of pretty colors and designs on them!

The patches aren't precious. The memories behind them are.

Unc

(ducking and running now.)