When did the AOL move?

Back in Olden days, Cub Scouts wore the AOL on their left pocket flap and Boy Scouts wore it immediately below their rank badge.

At some time, the Boy Scouts moved it to below the left pocket. When did that happen? My 1990 handbook shows it right below the rank patch.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know when the change was made, but it apparently contemplates that all Webelos are wearing the tan/green Boy Scout uniform, not the Cub Scout blues. The insignia guide I have (which is a year out of date) doesn't show where to wear one on a Cub uniform. The text says that Webelos wear it below the pocket. Problem is that if you're still wearing the blues, you've probably got a load of arrow points in that location.

And before someone says that all Sr. Webelos will have outgrown their blues and should be in Boy Scout uniforms, I can tell you that more than half of our boys crossing over last year were still wearing the blues. (Surprised me.)

TwoCubDude, you answered the wrong question. I'm wondering when the Boy Scouts moved it from immediately below the rank emblem to below the pocket.

As for the push to put Webelos in khaki, I'm not a big fan. The change in uniform used to be a significant step, now that's going away.

Either Mike was misunderstood, or he was mistaken. There is no provision in the Cub program in any resource including the Cub Scout Leader Book, any Cub rank book, or the Insignia Guide, for cub scouts to wear any uniform other than the blue one, except fo adult leaders and Webelos.

By the way both the Insignia Guide and The Cub Scout Leader Book say "Uniform parts should not be worn separately or with civilian clothing. The entire uniform should be worn or not at all. The pack does not have the authority to make changes to the uniform."

Bob White

On April 23, 1996, Mike said in a posting on rec.scouting.usa

"ALL Cub Scouts have the option, depending on Pack preference,

to wear the tan "universal uniform" with blue shoulder loops

or the traditional blue uniform. No matter which uniform,

the insignia is worn in the same locations."

There seems to be much more than what is published in the Insignia Guide. For example, it doesn't say in the Insignia Guide that I may wear any BSA hat. It also doesn't say that my troop can elect to wear the old green uniform but they may.

Mike isn't in the habit of giving out bad information so I'll stick with him, if you don't mind.

I'm going to back Bob White. I have never heard that Cub Scouts could wear the tan Boy Scout uniform. Tigers wear the orange T-shirt, Cub Scouts the blue uniform, Webelos can wear the blue Cub or the Boy Scout tan. Boy Scouts wear the tan Boy Scouts as do Varsity Team Members. Venturers wear the green Venturing uniform or their Crew designed uniform.

Cub, Boy Scout and Team leaders wear the Boy Scout tan, female Cub leaders may wear yellow shirt. Venturing leaders wear the green or their Crew designed uniform.

Now back in my sons day in Webelos, the den had to be all blue or all tan, that changed to personal option quite a while ago.

Also I think the change in location of the AOL from on the left pocket to below the left pocket is due to the great difference in sizes that Boy Scouts come in. Some of the smaller Scouts did have enough room on the pocket for a rank badge and the AOL badge.

(This message has been edited by NWScouter)

I am curious as to where either you or Mike got a quote that doesn't exist. From where did you get a six-year-old quote from Mike, and what BSA resource does Mike draw that quote from?

I am sure Mike is a fine guy but he is not the authority on BSA uniforming. The BSA is, and their current materials disagrees with what you think Mike said.

Hey Guys,

The uniform inspection sheet states on page two under shirt that the tan shirt with blue shoulder loops is an option for Webelos.

Fat Old Guy, I'm not sure exactly when the AOL moved down, but has been for a couple of years now.

SM406

I agree it is a wWebelos option, That doesn't seem to be the point of discussion. FOG seems to believe it is a pack option.

By the way I am pretty sure that the tan shirt is an individual option and not a pack or den option according to the Cub Scout Leader Handbook and the Insignia Guide.

Bob White

Bob,

After I posted I saw I missed the main points of discussion, sorry.

I do not have at hand written policy in support of how our pack has handle this issue in the past, but it is similiar to your last post. We left it up to the individual Webelo. If he had out grown his "blue" and was a second year or close to second year Webelo, we would reccomend the next shirt be a tan one. At a cross over to Boy Scouts last year we had several Webelos still in blue and their parents had chosen to give the tan shirts as a gift for moving into the Boy Scouts. I believe it should be a individual choice.

SM406

Mike Walton is very knowledgeable and experienced, but Ive learned to take what he says with a grain of salt and look it up. He has a way of sometimes stating his personal opinions as facts; facts that cannot be substantiated in the BSA publications.