Question about BSA Knots

"Technically, you shouldn't wear both a knot and the medal for the same award at the same time."

Technically, that is not what the manual says. The Insignia Guide says that "Generally, when a cloth badge is worn the metal one is not." It does not specifically restrict such a display. However members are admonished to "make every effort to keep their uniform neat and uncluttered" so regularly displaying two badges that have the same meaning would seem to be in conflict with that statement.

Bob White

When I was in my first troop(1963) I was given a metal Tenderfoot and Second Class Awards, no cloth badge. I believe that was the main reason that the rule about cloth and metal badges came. I still believe you can get a metal badge still but the ease of using only the cloth makes the metal use rare.

A couple of thoughts, inspired largely by the posts of FScouter and TrailPounder.

It is very easy to get confused about Venture Patrols and Venturing Crews. Sound the same but are completely different.

Venture Patrols - Are part of a Boy Scout Troop. They consist of the older boys, wear Boy Scout Uniforms, earn Boy Scout advancement, etc.

Venturing Crews - Are not part of a Boy Scout Troop. They have separate registration. Can be members from age 14 through 21 as youth. Can be coed. Have a completely different advancement program leading to the Silver Award. Their official uniform is Forest Green. Can complete Boy Scout advancement if they earned First Class Scout in a Boy Scout Troop.

As far as why the same name is used by the BSA for two completely different programs, that's a story for another day.

Uniforms are another interesting matter. Venturers can vote on whatever they choose as their Crew uniform. I know of one Venturer who showed up for his Eagle Scout Board of Review wearing the Forest Green shirt and blue jeans. Was berated by one of the board members. Informed the Board that his Crew had voted that their official Crew uniform is Forest Green shirt and blue jeans. Was apologized to by the chairman of the Board.

I don't have a copy of the Venturing uniform guide here, but arguably, a Crew could vote that their official Crew uniform included the square knots.

Normally, I am so happy to see

1) Older youth involved

2) Older youth in uniform wearing square knots

that I am not going to complain about details