When to wear uniform

24 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

...There was a Scoutmaster of a nearby troop who I always saw wearing his cloth Eagle patch on his uniform.  (Not the knot, the oval patch.) This guy was in his 40's or 50's...

I've mentioned a guy exactly like that in another thread a while back. Seeing as we're both NJ residents, I'm betting we're talking about the same guy. :laugh:

Edited to add: The guy I've seen wears the oval patch AND the square knot. 

Edited by EmberMike
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always try to use friendly questions to encourage the person to reflect a little on what they are doing and representing in these kind of situations. A sample of a conversation I had recently:

My instinct is to put someone with that much enthusiasm to work in the pack.  However, I worry that he's more into being a Scouter than he is in being a pack volunteer. I'm worried that he's goin

Yes - I'd wear the uniform.  This is a district event.  You and your son are members of the BSA.  It is wholly appropriate for both of you to attend in uniform. More importantly.  You're there wi

Posted Images

1 minute ago, an_old_DC said:

Speaking of wise-guys, I hate it when some adults are wearing the "Old Goat" or "Rocking chair" patrol patch. Adult patrols? Please, that's called being an ASM or Committee Member.

Most adult leaders in my troop wear the "Old Goat Patrol" patch, and have been since long before I got there.  I was given one but have never worn it.  Patrols are for boys.  However, I have never said anything about it.  I try to pick my battles, and that one has never seemed worth the effort.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

Patrols are for boys.  However, I have never said anything about it.  I try to pick my battles, and that one has never seemed worth the effort.

In my experience, those folks will argue the point all day and say "the Insignia Guide doesn't say we "can't" wear it.":blink:

50 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

Let not assume the scout store didn't UP SELL this gentleman and told him he needed that patch.  Its happened in front of my eyes.

"Have you taken some training"  this could be YPT, oh then here is a TRAINED PATCH

I can see that.  "So you say you want to be an Asst. Cubmaster?  We've got a patch for that right over here ..."