When to wear uniform

When is it expected and required for a Den Leader to wear the uniform? Obviously to Pack functions, but what about training (BALOO, Pow Wow, roundtables)?

Also, how does the Committe Chair become trained and allowed to wear the trained patch when this is her first position in scouting? Just curious.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always try to use friendly questions to encourage the person to reflect a little on what they are doing and representing in these kind of situations. A sample of a conversation I had recently:

My instinct is to put someone with that much enthusiasm to work in the pack.  However, I worry that he's more into being a Scouter than he is in being a pack volunteer. I'm worried that he's goin

Yes - I'd wear the uniform.  This is a district event.  You and your son are members of the BSA.  It is wholly appropriate for both of you to attend in uniform. More importantly.  You're there wi

Posted Images

Cub leaders should wear to all scouting activities, roundtables, training, etc. A committee member may take Cub Leader Specific break out for Committee and also need to take New Leader Essential.

Also, if you change or take on a new position in scouting, you must take the training for that position to wear the train patch.

Of course we wear uniforms to any activity with the boys. But for adults-only meetings folks wear uniforms to Roundtable and most training courses. Uniforms are generally not worn for committee meetings, either unit, district or sub-committee work groups like camp staff.

NWS is right that there is a separate position-specific course for committee members.

Devil's Advocate here with a question for you: how are the aims and goals of Scouting advanced by adults wearing their uniforms to a committee meeting in which no Scouts are present? How is the program benefitted by those folks taking the time to go home and change into their uniforms?

" How is the program benefitted by those folks taking the time to go home and change into their uniforms? "

"I don't have the time to go home and change." That's the silly argument put forth by many adults in my the troop with which I am affiliated. My response is simple, take your uniform to work and change there. If you are too embarassed to be seen by your coworkers in your Scout suit, maybe you shouldn't be a Scouter.

(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

You're missing my point. I said we wear our uniforms anytime we are at an activity with youth members, Roundtable and most training courses. We typically don't wear them at adults-only committee meetings. Acco said while that's what usually happens, what SHOULD happen is we wear our uniforms to all Scouting activies. I'm only asking why we should.

I suppose what we're in for is a hair-splitting debate as to what constitues a "Scouting activity." If all committee meetings should be uniformed, how about a trip to the Council office to pick up advancements? Or a one-on-one meeting with your DE? For that matter, why don't all professionals and other staffer all wear uniforms all the time? If there are no kids around, who is benefitting from the example we set? What's the purpose?

If I may answer my own questions, may I suggest that there is a difference between a Scout activity and Scout business? I'm not saying it would be INappropriate to wear a uniform at any of these functions -- heck, you can wear your uniform 24/7 if you like -- just that it isn't necessary at business meetings.

If you are doing something related to Scouting then put the uniform on unless you are asked not to wear it. Example - my, oops!, the council I have membership in holds an annual Eagle dinner. They ask the adults who attend to not wear their uniforms since the night is for the new Eagles.

I agree with Fat Old Guy. If an adult is embarased to be seen in uniform, then maybe they shouldn't be in Scouting! Doning the unifrom for Scout functions & activities, we set the example for the Scouts.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

On a related note ...

As a MB counselor, do you wear your uniform when a youth comes to your home or you go to his home or public area for counsel (i.e. public library, school, etc.)? Also, while not required, it is highly encouraged that the youth wear their uniform when meeting with a MB counselor. For those who are counselors, do you mention anything to youth who show up for counseling not in uniform?

Personally, I do not mention anything to the boys who are out of uniform but I do praise those who arrive in uniform.

Interesting debate, and there really isn't an answer from an official point of view.

I think that part of it depends on the expectations of the party or parties in charge of the meeting. Roundtables, it seems generally agreed, are for uniformed Scouters in uniform. Generally, there aren't youth around and no one says anything whether you're in uniform or not.

I have served three councils -- none of them were mine (shoot! Wrong debate) -- and at one point I owned 9 complete uniforms. I was a professional, it helped with PR for the BSA and I don't like to wear neck-ties. I also expected the district volunteers who had uniforms to wear them to district committee meetings, and especially commissioner meetings.

I felt that the uniform helped to remind us all that we were there for the boys, kept arguments to a minimum, and generally encouraged good behavior.

That was two councils ago.

Now I've become more casual and only have 3 complete uniforms. I wear the uniform for boy talks in the schools, to roundtable, district committee meetings when I go to them, Scouting activities where there are youth, and, when I feel like it, to my Kiwanis Club meeting to remind them that I am a professional Scouter and that Scouting is alive and well in our community.

However, to council commissioner meetings -- where in this council we seem to be able to know who we're there for (the districts and therefore the units and most importantly for the youth) we do without the uniform. It's more like "come as you are, but bring a Scouting attitude."

I'm not sure I've answered anything, but it's food for thought.

DS