When to wear uniform

I wear my uniform whenever there are going to be Scouts around.

Yes I have worn it to work. Everyone knows that I'm involved.

We do not wear uniform to the District Committee meeting, as not everyone is a uniformed Scouter. Same goes for the Council Executive Board meetings.

I don't always wear it to roundtables as the Chairman in training is not a uniformed member, and I can't see him wearing one.

When I was District Commissioner we did wear the uniform to our meetings - Not sure why.

I do tend to wear it when we visit the executive officers of our units.

I know that I will get in hot water for this one, but I wear it because we have a female DE, who rarely wears the field uniform, so I try to "Look the part."

Eamonn

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always try to use friendly questions to encourage the person to reflect a little on what they are doing and representing in these kind of situations. A sample of a conversation I had recently:

My instinct is to put someone with that much enthusiasm to work in the pack.  However, I worry that he's more into being a Scouter than he is in being a pack volunteer. I'm worried that he's goin

Yes - I'd wear the uniform.  This is a district event.  You and your son are members of the BSA.  It is wholly appropriate for both of you to attend in uniform. More importantly.  You're there wi

Posted Images

Just back from Roundup night, sitting here in full uniform.

I think we all know the reasons for wearing the uniform. When those reasons are present, we need to wear it. Absent those reasons, a uniform is optional. And as DS and Eamonn suggest, there may be additional circumstances based on who else is or isn't in uniform.

Dave! Where you been? I though I would have goaded you out of hiding earlier with the quip about professionals wearing the uniform all the time.

By the way, 36 new boys registered tonight and at least another four or five we know about still coming. That's on top of 71 already on the roster. Whew!(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

"We do not wear uniform to the District Committee meeting, as not everyone is a uniformed Scouter."

However, everyone could be a uniformed Scouter if they wished. They make a patch for just about every position.

I am a Troop Committee member but I wear a full uniform to all troop meetings, Roundtables, and nearly every other funtion that I attend.

Twocubdad:

I've been around, but have been kind of quiet lately. Just am getting over the bronchitis from a couple of weeks ago and have been very busy hitting the streets again to get ready for the fall -- the busiest season for all but Program Directors in the BSA (as you well know, Program Directors are professionals.)

I'm sorry I missed your well-meaning goad about professionals being in uniform all the time. It used to be the case when I was a DE because I hated wearing a suit and tie and loved the pride that came with being identified in uniform. Now that business casual is in vogue, I tend to wear that, but I can assure all that I usually have a poly-wool tailored uniform in the car. I like the uniform and wear it fairly regularly.

Of course I'm a little nuts and also keep a Cub Scout uniform that fits over my regular uniform and a cape and mask in the trunk -- but you can ask Dancin' Fox about Captain Cub Scout. I'm sure he'll tell you . . . with my permission. I keep it there just in case I need to do a boy talk.

That's great about signing up 36 new Scouts. 'Tis the season. Good luck!

DS

Because it is a method and not a goal. Although it isn't as true today as it was 90 years ago, a uniform could be a significant economic barrier to joining Scouts, so B-P & co. decided that it was more important to have a boy in Scouting than to have him in a uniform.

Today, we have parents who balk at a $50 uniform for Scouts but willingly pay $100 for an NFL jacket for their son. At the risk of stirring up a new kettle of fish (that's a great mixed metaphor), it galls me to see a mom using food stamps to buy food and her kids are wearing $100 sneaks and $150 jackets.

You know, I am sure getting tired of you people conplaining about people not wanting to spend $40 dollars for a Boy Scout shirt, but are willing to spend $150 for shoes or whatever.. I dont agree with $150 shoes, my last pair were 10. But, I believe you guys need to just lay off that reason... it's been said way too many times now.

• 14 years later...

We have a parent wearing  his adult uniform to Pack meetings and activities.

He does not hold a leadership position in the Pack, nor has he completed any position-specific training, ever. He wants to be an Asst. Cubmaster but has not completed any of the position training for that role.

He has current YPT, and operated in years past as a Committee Chair without any position-specific training, as indicated in his record at my.scouting.org

Simple Question:  Am I correct in saying he cannot wear the uniform to activities since he is not a "trained" adult leader in the unit?

To make matters worse he is an Eagle Scout, and has adorned his uniform with a spoof knots and a silly "_______ trained" patch.

8 minutes ago, WRW_57 said:

Simple Question:  Am I correct in saying he cannot wear the uniform to activities since he is not a "trained" adult leader in the unit?

If he has paid his dues, I don’t see why he can’t wear a uniform without trained patch or a position.

And I would ask him to remove those knots.

1 minute ago, WRW_57 said:

I believe the issue is that he is appearing as an adult leader when he is not. Young cubs cannot tell difference between one adult from another, in uniform.

Then why ask us if you already have the answer. :laugh: If you feel that they will confuse him, then pull him aside and just kindly say. Don’t make it like a big deal or anything. Just like make sure you say it’s for the kids sake.

At a minimum, you could ask him to wear the uniform correctly (take off the spoof / silly patches) so that he sets a good example for the Cub Scouts.  If he isn't currently a registered leader in the unit, then he shouldn't be wearing a badge of office patch or the "trained" patch.  (You could tell him that a Scout is obedient and should follow the BSA Guide to Awards and Insignia as an example to the Cubs).

His training at my.scouting.org might not be accurate.  Some Scouters have not linked their profile to their BSA ID #, and sometimes there are duplicate BSA ID #s.  But if he isn't a current registered leader with your pack, then what position is he "trained" for?

22 minutes ago, WRW_57 said:

There is no "trained" patch just "paper trained."

Not sure what you mean?  There is a "Trained" patch.  It's available at Scout Shops, and there are requirements for being able to wear the trained patch based on position.

Edited by Thunderbird