The popularity of the Boy Scout uniform

It is odd that in a time when many Boy Scouts are embarassed to wear their uniforms that they have become stylish among a section of society.

While cruising ebay, I noticed than many shirts have the notations "emo" or "punk". I asked one of the sellers about that and was informed that punks (amazing that punk is still around after 20 years) and those that listen to "emo" music like Scout shirt. Evidently they are also popular among the skateboard crowd as well.

Also, not long ago, my daughter showed me a spred in Seventeen magazine in which a male model was wearing a Scout uniform. I would have told BSA but after searching their web site, I couldn't find any contact information.

During my junior year (1976) in college, Linda Ronstadt performed in an official Cub Scout uniform (shirt, neckerchief, shorts and belt). I must say, I've never quite seen a Scout look so good! Having front row seats, I've got a framed photograph that I took of her on my desk at home.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I remember pictures of Linda Ronstadt in her Cub Scout uniform Acco, but please don't say it was so long ago. I remember another example, either from 1975 or 76. Somewhere on or in the cover of one of Fleetwood Mac's albums (I believe it is the one simply entitled "Fleetwood Mac", which was actually about their ninth or tenth album, but I digress) is a photo of the group including Stevie Nicks wearing a Cub Scout shirt. I do not think she was wearing any other uniform parts. It must not have been a bad photo, as I still remember it.

More recently, there was a photo that went around in Internet-Scouting circles, probably about 2 years ago now, of the ladies of Destiny's Child wearing Boy Scout shirts. Some were tied and some were cut to display the ladies' midriffs. (How delicately I put that. Actually the photo was rather stunning as I recall.) I think Mike Walton had either the photo or a link to it on his web site, with a negative commentary on the use of the Scout uniform for publicity or non-Scouting purposes. It may still be there for all I know.

I believe someone from the BSA contacted Destiny's Child about this and they apologized, and said they did not realize they were doing anything wrong, and would not repeat it. No word on whether the BSA ever contacted Stevie Nicks.

• 1 month later...

When I was a Boy Scout in 1957 we all wore our full uniforms to school the day of a troop meeting. We were really proud to do that and it was a perfectly normal thing to do. The true popularity test of the BSA uniform today is demonstrated by kids like my 15 year old son, who is an Eagle Scout, a troop instructor and leader, who attended the 2001 National Jamboree and has four full uniforms that are model examples of regulations... He would never dream of wearing a uniform to school... his worst nightmare if he did! He always wears a T-shirt (skateboard or electric guitar logo) under his uniform shirt and quickly peels off the Class A's as soon as he gets to the car after a troop meeting or campout. In the proper situations of Scouting the uniform is fine for him, but in the normal world it is not. With so many important issues as a parent today I have to choose my battles to make the most of my influence, so it isn't something I find essential to argue with him about. Any active Scouter knows that our older Scouts today find Uniforming as one of the most disagreeable Methods of Scouting, one they try to opt out of as soon as they can. When they do accept the need for a uniform at Scouting activities, we often find it helpful to let them express some individual preference by wearing a non-standard belt or some goofy skateboard shoes, and don't press the need for a hat that might muss up their carefully done teenager hair!

I live in the Los Angeles area and Yes Scout shirts have become popular in the 17 - 24 crowd. They use them because theyre stylish. It is common to see punk/rock stars wearing BSA uniforms. They have really caught on, it is very difficult to find "experienced" uniforms in second hand stores. They all get bought up and believe it or not are then resold at stores on Melrose Ave (were you buy hip clothes) They dont want new shirts they want them with all the cool patches, the more obscure the patches the better, the older shirts have character. I went to a second hand store in my uniform to find some for some boys that couldnt afford it. When I asked them if they had shirts, they said they had sold out and even offered my $30 for mine, cuz I got cool patches n stuff.

Good or bad like all fads they wont last long.