NRA Shooting Medals

At summer camp this year some of the boys earned the Rifle Shooting Merit badge. Some of them also earned the NRA Provisional Marksman and Marksman medals. The trading post says that the NRA shooting medals are authorized for wear on the Scout uniform. Has anyone heard about these medals and how to properly wear them? The Insignia Guide is silent about them.

• Upvote 1

They are for non-uniform use. Only BSA issued and authorized awards are to be worn on the uniform. The only non-BSA awards that I know of that are allowed are the religious awards.

Now having said that I have seen many Scouts (including in my old troop) wear them and no one will make them take them off. ;) I would not wear them to an Eagle Board of Review, just to be safe.

• Downvote 1

There are lots of medals and awards out there that youth can earn. The BSA has set standards on what should be worn on the official uniform. Even some BSA awards, mile swim, BSA lifeguard, Snorkeling, and Fifty Miler name a few that are not to be worn on the uniform. Two reasons that the BSA limits them; one, to keep the uniform from being overly cluttered and 2, wanting to approve those that are unique and fitting to the scouting movement.

The question that arises is: Why, then, would BSA associate with the NRA medals at all, if boys are not allowed to wear them? It is a BSA camp, using BSA-owned rifles (or whatever), BSA instructors, awarded in a BSA ceremony...and then after all that BSA says, "but you can't wear the medals"?

It may not be exactly the same as the NRA medals but in an exchange regarding the snorkeling patch (and mile swim, etc.), questions about where to wear these patches if not on the swim trunks caused dsteele to respond,

Quote [This is just a Dave Steele interpretation of a correct quote from the insignia guide. A BSA snorkeling patch is not a badge of rank and therefore can be worn on the back of the merit badge sash. I can assure you the world will not end if this is done.

The purists among us will insist that because the Insignia Guide names a specific place on a particular item of clothing that it can only be worn as specified.

Either argument can be justified, but I like mine better. It's now up to the Scout to pick a "camp."] Unquote

This seems to leave some room for personal judgement. Anyway, like he indicates, the earth will probably continue to rotate, either decision. If a boy is proud enough to pin it on, I won't stop him. I called our council, they are OK with this too.

• 19 years later...

You have to order the awards directly from NRA.  

https://materials.nrahq.org/QualificationAwards/

Packet has certificate, medal, and rocker patch.  Reasonable prices, but I do not know if that pricing is for NRA members.  Please let us know.

---------------------------

As to wear on the uniform?

Two pieces of guidance apply from the Guide to Awards and Insignia:

One rule that applies would say "No" you do not wear it on the uniform...

"Badges of Other Organizations: The general rule is that badges awarded by organizations other than the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) may not be worn on an official uniform. This includes military medals and service ribbons." (page 9)

However, another rule could override that one...

Special Local Badges and Insignia: Local councils are authorized to adopt special badges and insignia as awards for particular purposes in harmony with national policies and to permit their use upon the official uniform in accordance with the Rules and Regulations, policies, and guidelines of the Boy Scouts of America. (page 7)

I would say that the NRA awards are "...in harmony with national policies..." because the BSA relies on NRA programs and qualifications to conduct Shooting Sports using firearms.  Check with your local council.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066/33066_Section_1_WEB.pdf

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/3/2023 at 10:28 AM, OaklandAndy said:

Either way, it's a great incentive for summer camps! 

It really is. Our scouts have been so proud of their medals and have worked hard to get to the next level.