Indian Regalia (Arrowmen look here)

Of the many different lodges that I've visted over the years, and with a very few exceptions, the majority of lodges uses a mix of Pan Indian and Hollywood. For myself, and as a counter coup to the Lodge's pseudo Plain Indians motif, I use a mix of mid 18th century historically correct eastern woodland Indian with colonial Euro-American (French Huguenot) adaptations to create the proper persona for this area.

As an Adult Runner in MOS (Camp Geiger), I wear a porcupine and deer tail head roach. Ribbon shirt, breast plate, leggings, possibles pouch, rattle.

Optional things are coup stick (works also as bug swatter (horse hair on end)) For some ceremomies I carry a shield.

Beading I do not do but admire those that do.

Most of my costuming work is in leather, feathers and extra items that the scouts are looking into.

Be glad to work with you on costuming.

yis

from what I have read, no doubt. Was a lowly foxman myself. Many moons ago.

Welcome to come to Geiger, let me know if possible. I think you and your dad would enjoy the difference. I know I do, Adult Runner at Bartle now living in St. Joe. and part of the ceremonies up here.

Welcome

yis

• 1 month later...

This seems like a nice thread but I feel I must mention that the latest round of agreements between the OA and representatives of Native Americans dictates that the word "regalia" not be used and that only Youths not Adults can wear "costumes" which are limited to the principle characters of the OA ceremonies. Those might seem to be severe restrictions but when you consider what the lawsuits did to the YMCA Indian Guides, where they have completely given up their entire Indian theme, it at least allows the OA to continue its essential ceremonies. I am not happy with the situation either, but are you aware of these developments or just choosing to ignore them? These changes will not come easy, but it seems we are stuck with them.

Ka6BSA:

I have no trouble believing what you say about Indian Guides and the stuff about OA and regalia although I don't have direct knowledge of it.

The MOS that red feather and Tamegonit refer to is Mic-O-Say, an organization supported by several councils that involves youth and adults, but does not share a relationship with the National Office like the Order of the Arrow has.

I'm not a member of Mic-O-Say, but I admire those I've met who are. It seems they do a lot of good things for Scouting. Tehy are not ignoring or violating OA rules because those rules simply do not apply to them.

DS

PS -- MOS guys, feel free to tell us about Mic-O-Say.

I do not know what changes you refer too. I was chief of my lodge last calendar year and I am currently chairman of a lodge committee. I have done quite a bit with ceremonies, and I have never heard anyone mention that we can't call the regalia regalia. I was always taught (and everything I read supported) the idea that the ceremonial significance of the regalia is what seperated it from mere costumes, not the fact that it was Native American in origin. I have long heard that only Youth should where regalia, but I thought that was a function of the fact that only youth should be principals in ceremonies, and that only those participating in ceremonies should be in regalia. If there is new information I am open to it, but I am a bit uncertain about any recent changes. Also, is it possible these are local agreements rather than national agreements? I know for example that drumming is not automatically allowed, but that our lodge recieved permission from local Native American groups to use drumming.

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I don't have a reference I can cite, but I heard it directly from someone I trust, a Vigil member and past Advisor of my chapter. He wasn't overly concerned about these developments and thought it wasn't the last word on the subject, but he learned about it first-hand when he attended NOAC from someone who served on the negotiaion team.

I do believe what you are telling us. However, until I see something specific about it in either the Ceremonies books, Guide for Officers and Advisors, or Guide to Inductions, I will continue to operate as always. NOAC's are great because you never know when you may run into someone like a National OA Committee member. Finding one of them by accident helped solve a running argument between some people in my lodge. The thing is though, the opinions, beliefs, etc of individual committee members do not constitute official policy. If I see something published as policy I will go with it. If I do not see something official then I have no way of knowing if this agreement is binding, if it was just a prelimary agreement, or what exactly it was.

KA6BSA

This is the first that I've heard of a ruling like this...however, I guess, since I'm First Nation I've got a little more latitude than most adults. But, I've no problem with adults dressing out if their kit is accurate...as I see it, adults can't teach, or share what they don't know, and if this is one of the ways in which they can learn of our traditions, and then pass it on to the younger generations, I'm all for it.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion it is best to stick to your area, if you are from the plains design your regalia in a plains motif, or even better take the time to study local tribes/nations, museums do wonders, im not saying copy, make yours unique to you or your lodge, find or let a totem find you or use your lodges, i cant speak for all areas but some tribes/nations can be very helpfull in helping you design dance wear or cerimonial wear, some will even help you get materials, but whatever you do stay away from hollywood