Merit Badge Sash

Wearing the sash on the left shoulder will cover over the Scout's rank. All the images in any publications show it over the right.

Adding a loop would be great, watching a Scout fight to keep it up during COHs can be hilarious.

At least the OA sash is narrow enough to fit under the epaulette. I know we didnt change the sash width in 79 with the DLR uni, it just worked out that way. I always thought they just planned it that way (I know, I know).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insignia guide (at least the one I have) doesn't specify which shoulder, however, the drawing included shows it worn over the right shoulder. Also, the Scouting Magazine from May-June 1999 answered this question about proper wearing of sashes in the Letters section:

"The merit badge sash is worn only on formal occasions, and its correct position is over the right shoulder. The Order of the Arrow sash also goes over the right shoulder (but under the epaulet). It is worn on formal Order of the Arrow occasions or service projects and, according to the Order of the Arrow Handbook, "it is not to be worn in any other manner."

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/9905/d-lett.html

Besides, this is the only way that the left pocket (with rank badges) would remain uncovered.

For anyone interested, I found a good way to keep the numbers together tighly. I baste them together before puting them on (makes them one large patch) I do stich around each number for security.

Also if you have troubles with fraying of the patches (or any other parts of the shirt, like buttonholes) use ant type of a fray check that can be found in most places with sewing stuff. I have used it to secure cut edges of numbers when the machines cut through the border threads. It also holds down ant loose threads on the field of a patch.

"I have all of my rank patches and scout camp patches on the back of my sash, is that right?"

Uhhhh . . . no. Camp patches are okay as are just about any other patch from ships, trails, or what have you. However, rank patches are supposed to be put into a drawer and saved for your grandkids.

• 2 years later...

regarding rank patches and pocket sewing shut is there a reason that Velcro is not used since the rank is (in theory) changed on a fairly regular basis? if done in the factory before pocket is sewn on shirt then you don't sew shut. the same can be done for other patches that change (ie.. spl and pl)

If you take a seam ripper to the "pen pocket" portion of the left pocket, it opens up the pocket enough for sewing on rank patches.

As for the POR patch on the "smokes pocket," if you take your time and hand sew it, it's doable. Tedious, yes, but doable. Hopefully I won't have to change my CSDL patch until next June when oldest becomes a Webelos, and middle son becomes a Tiger, but "I have a bad feeling about this."