Boy scout charged with DUI & possession

We have a situation in our troop with a 17 year old who has been charged with DUI and possession of marijuana. He is a Life Scout who only needs to complete his Eagle Service Project to be ready for his Eagle Board Of Review. While he is clearly innocent until proven guilty in court it raises a number of issues which I am wondering if anyone has had prior experience with.

1. Should we allow the boy to go forward with his Eagle application while the charges are pending?

2. What action should we take if the boy is convicted?

I've only been involved with this type of thing once, but it resolved itself well before the Board of Review. The boy withdrew his application and resigned from Scouting.

As to your query regarding what the process should be within the troop at the moment, I would consult your District Executive for direction. He's paid to know how to venture down this trail. Innocent until proven guilty, yes, but already he's tarnished by accusation. Tread carefully.

As to the situation if found guilty, I believe there's no question but that he would not qualify for the Eagle. His character and qualifications would fall victim to his own folly. Any further action in an attempt to gain the Eagle for him would tarnish the meaning of the Eagle for all those who have earned it, and those might still do so.

Wow, that's a horrible situation for all involved.

Personally, I would not allow the process to continue until the matter has been discussed with the committee, council and district.

I do not think we should be soft on substance use and abuse and do believe that IF PROVEN GUILTY he should face the consequences of his actions. Really this is a subject that you truly need to take up with your district and council advancement chair before you or your troop take any action regarding his advancement. Handled poorly this can (and knowing today's society, most likely) have legal repercussions that will affect all involved.

You need to take this as a opprotunity to help this boy instead of running him out on a rail. This is after all a kid that is still in "learning mode" and he needs you now more than ever. The Scoutmaster and Committee Chair should call (better yet visit) this boy immediately and let him know that they want to help him in any way they can and if the charges are true there will be consequences BUT they want to help him work through it. Right now he can make a huge bad decision and still not ruin his entire future IF HE LEARNS FROM IT and moves forward in a positive manner. So in my heart and mind the best thing that the troop can do is help him through it.

As far as IF he is convicted, once again, I don't think that it means he should be barred from making Eagle. Once (and if) his conviction is final, I think it would be appropriate to give him a plan to redeem himself and to prove that he has overcome his problems in order to achieve Eagle. If his project is not approved yet your committee might consider requiring him to do a project concerning Drug and alcohol abuse as a sort of educational experience/"Scared Straight" tactic. We are in the job of building positive character, nothing builds character like adversity and this fella just feel into a lake of it. But with him being 17, I'm not sure that ther is enough time to do that.

Eagle is about being the best you can be, improving yourself and the world around you through your actions, words and example. Give him a chance to do that.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

I have never had to deal with this kind of situation. I agree with Mike Long. Whatever happened to the idea of redemption? If the boy is willing and able to learn from his experience, and help others to learn, there is some good to be gained. I certainly would not act hastily to simply run the kid out out of Dodge. I would put the boy, and his parents, on notice that his eagle is in jeopardy, but I would make it a committee decision.

• 2 months later...

This one CAN be a "catch 22". If the boy is quilty (by his own admission outside of court), he should withdraw. If he will not admit to the charges, and others have seen him using illegal drugs and DUI, that is when a legal problem can develop. If anything, I fear that the legal implications can be similar to the homosexual leader issue. Parents who want their son to be an eagle have been known (personally to me) to pressure eagle boards with legal challenges to subjective assessments.

Is he of high moral character? It appears not. Like others said before, this appears to be an issue for the DE or even the Council Executive.

If he is found guilty in court, the problem is solved. Then there is an outside body stating he is guilty of the crime (and obvious moral problems), and not an acceptable eagle scout.

The issue to me here is this: Can the boy benefit from continuing in scouts, or will his continued association be a problem for other boys? This is the boy who needs good leaders and friends to keep him away from the things that brought him to the problems. Yet it is easier to be pulled down than to bring someone else up to a "higher moral plain".

There is no easy answer. Please keep us informed as to the outcome, both legal and what happens to this young man.

Paul Johnson

• 8 months later...

We had a boy a couple of years ago - fine young man, for the most part. Excellent with younger Scouts, and pretty knowlegeable. Got out with some other boys one night, and got caught knocking off some mailboxes. His Eagle project was finished, and his application had passed Troop, District, and Council. His application was at Region, but was pulled. He even came in front of the Troop, and apologized for his actions - not a dry eye in the house.

Will he make Eagle - no. But he learned a valuable lesson, and grew as much from that experience as he ever did in Scouting.

Yes, GWB did get arrested for DUI. But he didn't run for president that very afternoon. Redemption takes time, and it's simply not possible for a 17 year old boy to redeem himself of a DUI before his 18th birthday. He could stay active in scouting, perhaps go on to be a brilliantly effective scoutmaster, but he shouldn't make eagle. The board would be awarding him based on the ASSUMPTION that he was going to do better, and that doesn't fly.

Just an opinion.

It's almost a year later and I thought I'd bring everyone up to date on the DUI & possession situation. Alomst all of the charges were dropped for a number of reasons mainly involving poor police procedure at the time of arrest. As a troop, we suspended the boy from troop meetings and camping trips for three months as despite the fact that the charges were dropped he WAS caught with beer cans in the car. He was told he could continue to work towards getting his Eagle project approved and work on merit badges while he was suspended. Of course, he did neither and after the end of his suspension he came to a couple of meetings and then drifted away from the troop. I think he was too embarassed by the whole situation to continue. In November 2001 he turned 18 without ever making Eagle.

This is a sad situation. Even though the charges were dropped, trustworthy is still there. Did he or did he not commit the crimes he was charged with? If not, then no problem. If so, then problem. Since the whole matter seems to have gone full circle, I think this discussion could focus on "what if's". Maybe that's a new thread.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ha, All this is NOTHING!! A tempest in a teapot.

Do you all remember that nationwide case where these two toughs killed that little homosexual in Laramie Wyoming by pistolwhipping him to death, and leaving his body hanging on a buck rail fence? Well, one of the perps was Russell Hinderson, Eagle Scout, now serving a life sentence.

Being a Scout doesn't necessarily give you sense or brains.

Be glad that these kids are only doing small stuff.