Scouter Dress Jacket

So whatever happened to the dress jacket Scouters (and sometimes Scouts) would wear? (As seen in photos of B-P, West, etc.) For adults it presents a much more dignified appearance at something like a Court of Honor.

A uniform like that, properly tailored and fitted, would probably run $300 today. (due to limited market)

I suspect that's the main reason all of the better quality uniforms of the past have gone by the wayside.

US Army green dress jackets are available at surplus stores from $5-$30 typically. There is the cost of replacing the buttons with Scouting buttons. When worn with Scouting insignia and Scout pants, there's no way it can be mistaken for an Army uniform. Of course, this is taking the approach where each Scouter is on his own. New jackets would cost around $100+, though it has been awhile since I purchased a military jacket.

The green tie can be worn by Scouters with the long sleeve shirt, and does indeed look nice. The LS shirt with tie or neckerchief is the most formal uniform we have officially, other than the blue blazer set-up. Of course, the blue blazer uniform is not so much a uniform as it is along the lines of yacht club or society attire.

"The modern uniform isn't just limited to professionals, but we're the ones for the most part who buy the ugly things. I know a few volunteers that have them, but not very many."

Ugly? The outfit looks like just about every blue blazer that I've seen. I'm sure that it isn't Brooks Brother's quality but what BSA uniform is (other than the Woolrich jacket)?

Here's a question. Are you required to wear the official jacket and trousers or can you go to Brooks Brothers and buy a blue blazer and grey slacks?

The current Army jacket doesn't match the green of the uniform. The USMC jacket might be a closer match both in color and style of the old jacket. However, that wouldn't be authorized and we know how terrible it is to wear unauthorized clothing. Right Bob?

Another option would be to buy a safari jacket liks Abercrombie and Fitch sold before they were part of the Gap. I then thought of Willis & Geiger but it turns out that they don't exist as such anymore. Anyway, find a nice belted safari jacket in a tan close to the uniform shirt. Of course, this is also an evil thing to do since it isn't authorized.

Hey Dave,if you think that the male uniform is ugly. You ought to take a ride with Pam, our district executive and hear what she has to say about the female uniform.

I don't wear "The Ugly thing", but do keep a couple of Scout ties in the car. One is red with the Scout Law on it. It is hard to match up with anything, the other is the striped tie with the small Scout sign on it, again it does not go with checked shirts.

As to the field uniform, I wear the red wool jacket most of the time, I do have a lot of the nylon jackets, that all of a sudden have become a "Give Away."Item.

A friend od mine (Ex-Council President) Had some really nice red jackets made with the council name on them, they are some new high-tech fiber, very light, but very warm. But for some reason they attract the fur from our white English setter, like a magnet.

As I'm almost as white haired as he is, it does not not make a very good impression.

You're right the Army green doesn't match exactly. I tried it using a military society jacket (same color) and it wasn't a bad combination. The USMC jacket is nice since, as I recall, it has a self-belt. But, it's less readily obtainable. Of course, one could go "mounted" and wear the green jacket with khaki britches and tall riding boots. But...someone would surely gripe if one wasn't riding a horse at the time. :)

To answer Fat Old Guy's question, no a blazer and grey slacks from Brooks Brothers won't cut it as a uniform -- at least officially. Many professionals wear other brands than the ones sold by National Supply, but they aren't official.

You used to be able to buy the pewter BSA buttons to sew on another brand of jacket (the buttons alone cost over $30) and I think the practice continues, but it isn't official.

When I was a DE, we had to wear the dress uniform to travel to Texas for our Basic Training. I remember being mistaken for a pilot in Detroit Metro Airport -- and actually giving directions. It was easier than explaining who we actually were :)

Ds

• 3 weeks later...

Someone in the thread mentioned the green tie that leaders used to wear with their uniforms. I thought these did look very sharp, however, the National Supply Divison no longer carries this item. I was told by my DE that these were discontinued because the BSA wanted to avoid a military type apperance. If this is the case military jackets would be inappropriate. Although I think those would look sharp also.

BTW Does anyone know where I could find one or two of those old ties?

Other groups that are not military use that same style jacket. Police, fire, Park Service, Forest Rangers, etc., either have or have had such a uniform. I cannot understand how they think a green tie is "military." Sounds like PC nonsense. What next? Phase out the campaign hat? Perhaps I shouldn't mention that the BSA uniform color scheme is essentially that of the US Marine Corps..........

You can get a green tie of suitable style and color from the USMC or, if memory serves, either the park service or forest rangers. Either way, it's a green tie, not a military uniform item.

I want to clarify that personally I think the tie and jacket should be official parts of the Scouter uniform. Also, I am not sure if the explanation I passed along about appearing like military is an official explanation. I was just simply passing along what I had heard. Maybe we should all petition to have these items become part of the official uniform. I would like to see it happen. Thanks for the info about the ties.

Ec