Received the following this morning regarding the status of USSCOUTS.org. FYI:

Just to make sure everyone is aware, We are back on-line in a temporary location. That includes usscouts.org, clipart.usscouts.org; www.macscouter.com; www.netcommish.com; and others.

We are still working on finding a permanent home for the entire family of sites, and have some very promising leads and contacts to do so. Access may be a bit slow for a day or two, while the DNS Servers all get realigned to our IP addresses, so bear with us.

Thanks to everyone that wrote us, or posted messages of support. Well keep you all informed as we progress.

--

Paul S. Wolf, PE mailto:Paul.S.Wolf@alum.wpi.edu

Advancement/Safety Webmaster, USSSP http://usscouts.org

• 3 weeks later...

The site is down now. I have been unable to get to any of the referenced sites for the past few days. If anyone can give me some updated information regarding the status of the sites and what the problems seem to be with keeping it going I would appreciate it. I have several links to the usscouts.org site from the website for my pack - pack3083.tripod.com

If they have a problem with getting a server I am sure that someone out there in the scouting family could help.

I received an email from them the other day (which I think I deleted) that said they were moving from their temporary provider to a new permanent provider. But there was something in the message about having to pack up their server to ship to the new provider. I can't remember how long they said they'd be down, but I'm sure they'll send a message when they're back up. As soon as I hear something, I'll post it, unless somebody beats me to it...

I received this message this morning and thought I'd pass it on...

Update from Michael Bowman (USSCOUTS.org)

By now most of you have heard that in Feruary we learned that our host in Kansas City, Missouri, Drivernet.com was filing for bankruptcy. We had to remove our server from their facility before the doors were padlocked and went offline for over a week. We then began a search to find a new host that would allow us to continue to provide Scouting resources via the web. While we were in the search process we were able to temporarily go back online for a few more weeks. However, the temporary host firm, Timm.com, also filed for bankruptcy and we were again forced to remove our server before the doors were padlocked. All that news on TV and radio about the collapse of dot.coms and the bad news from the stock market hit us unexpectedly.

In response to our cry for help, over one hundred Scouters responded with leads and offers of help. Many more responded with support. We were overwhelmed by the volume of e-mail and the wonderful attitude of Scouters. And if we haven't said it to you already, "Thank You" we really appreciate the support.

A couple of weeks ago I visited the computer facility of ACS Systems & Engineering of Virginia Beach, Virginia in response to a kind offer of hosting. ACS' President, Tim Miller, and ACS' Executive Vice President, Wes Gibson, are both Scouters involved in Scouting in Tidewater Council and ACS is a strong supporter of Scouting and many other charitable endeavors. Thanks to these two Scouters, we will soon be back online and operating our server from Virginia Beach, Virginia

Last week we shipped our server from Missouri to Virginia to begin the process of transitioning to our new host. The server arrived safely and will be put online in the next week. We have spent the last week working on the paperwork to transfer our domain names from IP addresses in Missouri to ones provided by ACS in Virginia. When we have competed the transfer of domain names, all of the old names will work again; e.g., usscouts.org, macscouter.com, and netcommish.com.

Not only will ACS be hosting us, they will be providing us with a newer and more capable server that will be better able to handle the load from all of the folks visiting our sites. In the weeks before we went offline, we know that many of you found our site to be getting slower and slower. The server we had was just not able to handle all the visits we were getting. Thanks to ACS, we should be able to give much faster response times in about a month.

In the next week we hope to bring our current server back online. As soon as we have that accomplished we will be working on building the new more powerful server. When the new server is ready, we will shift operations to the new server and hopefully without going offline for more than a few hours. We are hopeful that by May we will be running our websites on the new server provided by ACS. My special thanks to Dana Eddy, ACS Systems Architect, who has worked after hours to help us get back on our feet.

• 2 weeks later...

4/11/01

An update on USSCOUTS.org & MacScouter, for those of you waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Since our last newsletter we've been working towards getting back online. We had a few surprises along the way and a few challenges from minor equipment damage during transit from Missouri to Virginia and from moving our domain names, but it looks like those are pretty much behind us now. Our server is online and functional, but not yet open for business. In the next few days our websites should be back online. At this point we are waiting for domain name tables to be updated across the net to reflect our new IP addresses. As soon as that looks like it is happening, we'll send out another note to let you know that our websites are back online and available.

Mike

Michael F. Bowman

Vice President, http://usscouts.org

Webmaster, http://www.webnme.com

Please be advised that the people at scouter.com over charged my credit card and did not send any merchandise and have not answered any phone calls, e-mails or letters. My last resort is the forums so spread the word. thank you

Please be advised that the people at scouter.com over charged my credit card and did not send any merchandise and have not answered any phone calls, e-mails or letters. My last resort is the forums so spread the word. thank you

• 2 months later...

Their server is probably down for maintenance.

Very few noncommercial websites pay for guaranteed 24-7 access for thier users. If they did, they would not be able to operate for very long.

Usually when you see a "Cannot find server or DNS Error" message it just means that the server is down for whatever reason. Don't worry about it, servers are down more often that you would think. Just try back later.