opinion please - What parts of uniform are approprite to what events?

I was under the impression that the OA sash was to be worn at all dress functions, not only at OA functions. I suppose it would make sense to wear a MB sash to troop events and reserve the OA sash for OA events, a lodge flap gives everybody in the OA enough reckognition (sp?) at non OA events and it saves you from being asked what the diferent sashes mean.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, they are wrong!

The MB Sash is not about bragging it is about accomplishment! It should be worn at ALL formal Scouting events (COH and Eagle Courts, Scout Sunday, Etc.)and ALL formal events when reprsenting Scouting (ie. Funerals, Color Guards, Etc.)

Shame on those who would discourage boys to wear their MB sashes to a Court of Honor.

That is just as foolish as discourageing a Brotherhood or Vigil OA member from wearing their sash because it would be bragging to the "Ordeal" members or non-members.

This line of thinking could go on and on...

Eagle Rank or Medal, OA Lodge flap, Philmont Patch, Jamboree Patch, ETC. ETC.

Its not bragging, its envy on their part.

Get over it!

To answer Eisely's question with a question. The question was about not wearing either sash over the belt.

The return question is . . . if you had three special socks, would you wear one over your belt? :) Would a Boy Scout who is a Venturer wear two uniform shirts at the same time or tie one around his waist?

The sashes are meant to be worn only over the right shoulder. Boys need to chose which to wear and when, I just ask that whichever they wear, they wear it properly.

I misunderstood your original point. What you are getting at is sashes hung over a belt. I envisioned a sash worn over a shoulder and somehow tucked under a belt. Hence my question. Sashes belong over the shoulder. The right shoulder specifically.

Eisely --

I apologize. It seems I missed your point. Yes, I was picturing wearing the OA or merit badge sash looped over the belt. When I was a Scout, I thought it looked really cool to wear my MB sash over the shoulder and the OA sash looped over my belt. In fact, the arrow pointed down and I found out when I became an adult that I was in violation of uniform rules.

Changed the error of my ways and learned my lesson.

You're right that the proper way to wear a sash is over the right shoulder. It the point slides under the belt, it's probably uncomfortable, but not agaisnt the rules.

Have a pleasant evening.

DS

Thanks, everyone -

I thought it was right to wear the uniform sash to such an event -

I'm going to talk to our SPL and our SM and see if we can get them back on board - I've noticed ALOT of sloppy habits cropping up - especially in pants and shirts that look like they just came out of the laundry basket, patches half torn off - etc.

• 1 month later...

Wait a minute, here is the quote from the OA Handbook concerning the OA Sash:

"The sash is worn at Order of the Arrow functions and special activities, including Courts of Honor. It is not to be worn at regular unit meetings. The sash should only be worn on occasions when members need to be identified as Arrowmen renering special service"-source OA HANDBOOK 1989 Printing

Our troop has always insisted on full uniforms, including sash, at COH.The lesson was made practical when the plc decided that the youth in full uniform were allowed to go first in the dessert line.The sash may have been forgotten once but their stomachs remembered the next. Its a way to reward those who do it right.Our scouts have been sent home for uniforms before an outing.It doesn't happen often if you are consistent.

One of the most impressive things my guys saw at summer camp was that many of the staffers wore their sashes at the flag ceremony and merit badge sessions. Not once was it considered bragging and it keep raising questions like "What is that one?" and "How did you earn that one?" Our older guys had a rapport with guys that earned similar merit badges and the younger scouts were always gathered around the staffers to discuss the merit badges. It was made cool because the youth wearing them were wearing the sash with non-boastful pride.

Unfortunately the boys in our troop don't wear the neckerchief. Only the adult "Old Goat" patrol wears them in hopes that the good role model will work. Maybe we should bribe them with cobbler...?

YIS,

Night Fox

Had our troop COH last night. My son asked if he should wear his OA sash or MB sash. I told him it was his choice but since he was to receive five MBs (the COH after summer camp where he earned three) that I would wear the MB sash if I was in his shoes. Well, mom said, "Let him wear both." Another peer of his in the troop wears his OA sash (the only other OA member in the troop besides my son) on the right shoulder and the MB sash hung on the belt. I knew that is what my son wanted to do, too. Well if mom says yes and dad says no, guess who he takes direction from? It may be incorrect from a uniform insignia guide, not what dad wanted, not what the SM wanted (me again) but the world sometimes has no higher authority than a loving mother who is proud of her son. The rest of the world be damned! (Yes, for those who may not know me well, while true, this was written in a very humerous tone.)

P.S. Pants are to be worn at all BSA functions. Something I had trouble with when a bunch of the boys got a bug to sit around the campfire on the last night of summer camp (well past lights out and quiet time) in their boxers. They did have the lights out, they were quiet and it was warm. I didn't join them, but had to chuckle.(This message has been edited by acco40)

It is real easy to know when you are to wear the OA Sash. It is to be worn at OA Events: Chapter and Lodge Meetings, Conclave, NOAC, Lodge Executive Committee Meetings, Fellowships, Ordeals, Brotherhood Ceremonies, OA day at Camp, OA Service at Camps and elsewhere. OA staff at Camporee, Unit visitations and any other place where you are representing the OA. They should not be worn to Troop functions at all because even unit visitations are done by scouts from other units. Nothing should be wore on the belt. The last award wore on a belt by a Boy Scout was the skill awards. Since they went away in 89 there should be no scout eligible now.

Tyee Tumtum, WWW Vigal member

What's a Vigal member? I've heard of Vigel, I keep getting their stupid pop-up windows, but not Vigal. (Just kidding.)

Knowing the rules and following them are two different beasts. From a 12 yr old's perspective, if he has earned his (whatever) and is proud, he wants to wear it. In our troop, the ASPL earned a spot on his JV football team and wears his football necklace (a silver chain with a big silver football helmet) with his uniform. Is that kosher, no. But why make a big fuss over it?

Have you seen adults with patrol patches? A definite no-no. A boy without a patrol patch? Another no-no. I have two SM shirts, on one, I have my adult patrol patch in an attempt to "lead by example" that I wear on outings. The other SM shirt I consider my "formal" shirt that I wear to COHs, roundtables, etc. has no patrol patch.

I try to inform the boys and adults of the uniform insignia guidelines, or rules or whatever one chooses to call them, and then try to lead by example. I am very careful to "pick my battles" carefully. Just like the "hat in church" debate (we have our formal COH in the church basement, should we wear our troop hat?), it is not worth the trouble of making it a big issue.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Actually, there is an out for proud young Scouts (and their mothers) when it comes to wearing the merit badge sash. I believe it began to allow Scouts to wear their merit badges without worrying about having a nearly naked sash.

Up to 6 merit badges may be worn in two vertical rows of two on the right sleeve of a long sleeve shirt starting just above the cuff.

Wear 'em with pride, Boys!

DS