At lunch today I got into a discussion with another leader about the boys marching in a parade with umbella's. Her troop marched in memorial day parade, in Rain, with umbrella's.

Being an old retired military guy, I won't use one and don't think scouts should. But thats me.

What say you all? umbrella's/no umbrella's?

Paul

I'd rather see them there with umbrellas than at home!

I'm a military guy myself - so I can see your point. And in my neck of the woods only tourists use umbrellas... most scouts know to take their rain gear *everywhere*.... but, you cant see that nifty scout uniform through the rain gear ;)

Remember these are Boy Scouts... not the military. The Marines don't have to answer to mom when her son comes home soggy and with a head cold....we do :)

It probably would have been better if the marchers had been prepared for rain with something other than umbrellas. Depending on the surroundings and the type of storm, umbrellas might even pose a lightning hazard.

When I was an ROTC cadet I learned about the US Army attitude towards umbrellas during a downpour. We were in Class A uniforms and had just finished some close order drill when the sky opened up. I had an umbrella by my books at the side of the drill ground and walked over to my stuff. As I was leaving holding my umbrella over me, I was called over by one of the cadre officers who informed me that in the US Army officers did not carry umbrellas. He observed that if we were in the British army we could carry umbrellas. After I folded my umbrella and we were both getting wetter, I asked him, "What do we do?" He, thoroughly soaked by now, responded, "We just get wet."

I guess it is a good thing that it didn't rain in Iraq last month.

Well, I'm an Air Force guy, and I remember the first time we were authorized to carry umbrellas in uniform, in the late '70s. I was a young law enforcement patrolman, on the scene of a rather nasty traffic accident; it was raining of course. My shift sergeant, who had just helped us get the last victim out and on his way to the hospital, asked me if there was anything else he could do to help. I asked him if he would divert traffic at the next intersection; he disappeared and I went back to my measurements. A few minutes later, I looked toward the intersection and saw, to my horror, my shift sergeant, in full uniform, armed, with a whistle in one hand and an umbrella in the other, directing traffic. It was unbelievably ridiculous looking.

While authorized, there are unwritten umbrella taboos in many units. With gore-tex or other good rain gear, you don't need one, and not carrying an umbrella keeps both hands free.

I certainly wouldn't beat up on a Scout who wanted to carry an umbrella...I'd just wait the 15 minutes or so for him to figure out for himself that they aren't practical for most of our activities....

KS

I don't particularly have feelings for or against umbrellas while in uniform. I think they work for Europeans, but not Americans -- but don't feel strongly on the matter.

I'll echo KoreaScouter's sentiments that they look ridiculous. I also echo his feelings that Gortex is far superior.

Which reminds me of a story :) Of course.

About a year before I left the arena of working for a living as a District Director to the arena of supervision as a Field Director, my mother-in-law bought me a Gortex rainsuit from L.L.Bean. It was an excellent investment. However, the brochure that came with it suggested I give it the "shower test."

So I put on the rain-suit and the L.L. Bean duck boots I had recently purchased (I really hate to get wet in the rain as I had for many a camporee) and got in the shower for 45 minutes. My wife wasn't due home for an hour, so I thought it was safe.

I tromped around and around in the shower, fully clothed and wearing my boots. The boots are cruddy to walk in, but they kept me dry. The rain suit worked beautifully.

But boy was my wife surprised to see me walk out of the bathroom dressed like that! :) At least I wasn't carrying an umbrella -- then I truly would have deserved the "you really ARE nuts!" look she gave me. (She gives me this look a lot of the time, so it's no big deal.)

But I haven't been wet since I got the thing. It's always in the trunk of my car unless I'm wearing it.

The stuff really does work.

DS

OK, I hail from the land of umbrella's. And yes I do take mine to camp and do use it.

I don't take it on a hike, but when dressed to make a presentation, or hand out an award me and my "Brolly" (The one that I use for golf) are there hand in hand.

I have been known to sing the odd song from Mary Poppins, or do the Gene Kelly number.

Have you noticed that the Queen has taken to using a see thru "Brolly ?

Come to think of it, so has the Pope.

Think I need one of them. There are others who would think that a burlap sack might do a better job.

All right a "fun" debate.

I'm in the Air Force and I carry an umbrella in my AF uniform. I wear the gortex when I'm in BDU's, but the umbrella is the best rain gear when I wear my blues. The umbrella is handy when I pick up my kids from daycare on a rainy day. Keeps me and the kids semi-dry when we head to the car. :)

Nld --

She thought I was nuts the first time! I'm not about to ask her to take pictures of it.

Besides, after the "shower test" the rain suit got plenty of wear in real conditions to convince me that it's one of the best investments in gear ever made on my behalf.

That reminds me that I need to send the pants back. One of the reasons I like L.L. Bean is you can return anything for any reason. I outgrew the rainpants by a size and know (from past experience) that they'll replace them at no charge to me.

DS

Our man of Steele, has had a few too many Beans

His Wet Suit, is busting at the seams.

Back it now must go

In time before the midwest rain and snow.

Needless to say if he were a clever

Professional Scouting Fellow

He would have used a large umbrella.

Sorry Dave, it was just too easy.

Of course I know all about Payback.

Eamonn --

No fair! With your sense of humor (humour?) Don't you know how hard it is to pay back when you're laughing so hard.

Whiping the tears of laughter out of my eye . . . it's payback time, Dude!

I wasn't going to mention it when I mentioned returning the rain pants . . . because I know Scouting rounds a guy out (usually said when patting an overly large belly,) but here goes.

The rain pants my mother-in-law got me originally had a 28" waist.

I've eaten too many beans, 'tis true. Now I have a 30" waist and can actually shop in the adult department. It's tough enough to find pants my size now. It was sheer agony trying to find them before.

I appreciated the rhyme. I did get a kick out of it.

I'll come up with a rhyme of my own sometime when you slip . . . :)

If you'd ever like to see the beauty we call Wisconsin, give me a call. We'd love to enterain you . . . or most anyone else on these forums.

DS