New Uniform Ideas

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the greatest problem with the epaulets. The troop that I was scoutmaster for 10 years did a lot of backpacking. When you live the northwest yearly fifty-milers is the rule not the exception. To wear a scout uniform shirt while caring a loaded pack is sure bet to rip off at least the button. We have a terrible time with them when we went to a summer camp that had a three mile hike into the camp on arrival. Also I have not known a scout or scouter, even the most carefully turned out one, to have at least one time shown up with the shoulder loop turned seam up.

I mean uniforms are one of the 'Aims of Scouting'.

No, it's not.

Has BSA ever asked boys what they want in a uniform?

There are youth member representatives on every national committee I know of.

GSUSA recently changed uniforms and provided more options based on the feedback they got from the girls.

Do not try to find comparisons between these two totally different programs. There really aren't any.

Bob White

As a parent of both a Boy Scout and a Girl Scout (Juniors), I think there are more similarities in the two programs than we generally give them credit for (life skills, leadership, responsibility, citizenship, etc.). As in most efforts, the degree to which those messages get delivered depend on the volunteer leaders. I've been in the GS material in some detail at the Brownie and Junior levels, and went through some of their leader training, too. Although they seem to be a bit more hamstrung by rules than we are, there are similarities if you scratch below the surface.

That said, GS do not consider the uniform a method of delivering the program, and within each program level, there are many more uniform options than in BSA, including no uniform at all. Those of us accustomed to a BSA Court of Honor with all the Scouts similarly attired, visit a comparable GS event and they look like a bunch of contras, all in some semblance of a uniform but no two dressed alike. Again, it's not an issue for GS, since the uniform isn't a program delivery method.

KS

The basic method in scouting for delivering the program is the patrol. The primary use of the uniform is to give a unity to the patrol, then the troop and then the BSA. The second use is to display the achievements of the scout and his role in scouting.

The three aims of scouting are to develop character, citizenship, and mental and physical fitness.

Among the 8 methods used to achieve these three aims is the scout Uniform. The Patrol Method is another of the 8. Each is important in its own way, and all are needed for a successful scouting program.

Bob White

Bob White

I was just looking in a 1941 Scout Handbook and found in the back uniforms and their prices. How about that campaign hat for $1.95, shirt (ls) $1.60, breeches $1.95, neckerchiefs plain color 50, combination colors 60, slide 10. Outdoor service outfit shirt(ss) $1.25, shorts $1.50, stockings 50, belt 50. I just spent almost $15 with sales tax for a pair of Venturing socks , but then minimum wage back in the 40s was around 50 an hour. I did like the official raincoat, it looks like a trench coat, for $5.95. It was called a bombazine raincoat and the poncho also was bombazine. Anybody know what the heck bombazine was?

here is an idea, what about having Boy Life magazine run a 6 month contest soliciting drawings and sketches from boy scouts on what they would want their uniform to look like. Then, they take six months and put together a focus group of scouts who whittle the entries down to 5 and then run those five designs and sketches and even make prototype uniforms and put them in Boys Life and have the boys select the one they would like to wear. All non-binding, but it would be fun to see what the boys would like to wear if given the choice.

This boy lead thing could catch on...

• 3 weeks later...

OGE, I like your idea and would love to see the results.

Bob White, pardon me for calling the Uniform an 'aim' of scouting rather than a 'method of achieving the aims'. As for BSA and GSUSA being '2 entirely different programs' - true, but both programs evolved from ideas from Baden-Powell and both serve youth with similar goals. Both are youth-led and I would like to see uniforms that are designed with input from the youth they serve.

For meself, I've never liked the current BSA uniform. My choice would be something that says serious outdoors.

My solution is thus...being a member of a Venture crew that does living history I'm now just starting the process of creating my own hand sewn crew uniform based on the clothing worn by 18th century long hunters.

So far,I've bought three yards x 60 of heavy duty cotton dyed the same dark grey as the Venture shorts. Along with hand made pewter buttons this will be the material for a set of French fly breeches...

The shirt set will consist of 4 long shirts; two wools, 1 mid weight linen, and a lightweight cotton all in a light dull mossy green, again with pewter buttons. The exception will be the cotton that will have either Dorset or dumpling buttons.

For wear over the shirts a dark forest green mid thigh weskit in a mid weight wool.

Hats, two...the summer hat will be of the low crown, wide brim style , whereas for winter, a French Canadian fur common to the Couier du Bois...

A short wool capote, stockings, wool leggings,belt and few other sundries items to complete the kit...

Overall, it's going to be a great winter project to enjoy. As for cost, about 75 bucks in materials...

Why change the uniform again?

1. BSA is not paramilitary, but it is military prep, at least in part. This is one reason B-P founded Scouting, and West, Beard, Boyce, and Seton founded BSA. All uniforms in Scoutings history that I have seen have elements of military uniforms. The uniform needs to makes Scouts look like Scouts.

2. The campaign hat. Although perhaps a bit warm in the heat, it does provide a lot of shade. The chin strap worn around the back of the head keeps it on in all but the strongest breezes. As for keeping its shape, why bother? The original US ones had soft brims. As for the expense, cost would likely drop if they sold more. Also, a troop might try to get campaign hats from a surplus store at a volume discount, and then add the hatband and strap. Most of all...it screams SCOUT.

3. Knee socks. Where did they go? When wearing shorts they protect the legs.

4. Pants. Comfortable and (at least the old ones) with voluminous pockets. I have worn them (or the shorts) on every Scout outing and found them quite practical (including backpacking).

5. The shirt. Again, no problems here. The patches are conducive to a uniform worn in the field and with a backpack. Again, we are a uniformed organization, and the uniform is one way we teach and express the values of Scouting that we are trying to teach the boys.

To the person whose kid came home from first year camp with a grape juice stain -

yeah - grape juice stains - whatever happened to NAPKINS? or hand-washing? At camp we always have a day for washing - few boys can get through the week without wearing some of their dinner on their shirts... If they're that bad, a leader will point it out and suggest washing it out that night. Someday he's gonna have to do his own laundry - might as well learn now!

It REALLY helps if the boys wear a t-shirt under the uniform shirt - they smell better and stay cleaner - because immediately after the meal, they can take it off. It also helps ALOT if the troop makes a place to hang shirts (from plastic hangers) in camp. Belive me - alot of that crud isn't food - it's the dirt STUCK to the food from scrubbing it around camp!

Recently, my 13 yr old has started washing ALL his own shirts. I'm tired of pre-treating them and washing them 2-3 time to get the food stains out. I figure if HE has to do it - maybe he'll learn not to be such a slob when he eats!

As for the sashes being too big - there's a real simple solution to it. ONE seam - at the shoulder - just tuck it up and inch or two and DON'T cut it off. Start sewing the Badges on in the middle and work outwards - a row below, a row above. My son likes to run the Eagle required ones down the center... When they get a little taller - just pull the seam at the shoulder and the sash is now longer and you don't have to re-sew the badges!

Another very easy sewing tip - with active boys - esp if the sash is a little large - the sashes slip off their shoulder. So take a small piece of heavy thread or a very thin ribbon and sew a tiny loop opn the edge toward the neck - at the top where the sash meets the shoulder seam of the shirt. Sew a tiny button on the shirt where the collar meets the shoulder seam. the button is hidden just under the collar. the loop on the sash goes over the button - no more slide off sash!

I've always worn some kind of olive green pants (non-scout) with my uniform shirt - I'm heavy, tall, hard to fit and the uniform pants in my size are very pricey. and they don't fit well (they are very short waisted for me) But this year, my 'scout' pants were shot and i couldn't find any store ones in the right color that would work, either. So I bought the uniform pants - and altered them to fit - they're still short in the waist. Again - sewing is a very useful skill. While i was stiching, i decided to take those enormously long pant's legs and turn my uniform pants into zip offs. Doing that was very easy - and now - for the price of the pants and two separating zippers - I have both winter and summer uniforms. the fabric is less breathable than denim - but lighter - I can live with it.

As for the uniforms wear - I've been to summer camp every year, and on almost all of our packs & troops campouts and activities. i bought a long sleeved shirt in 1996 and wore it to everything, and I got a short sleeved one in 2000 - wear it only in the summer (I prefer the long sleeved) no special treatment - washer, dryer - i only ever ironed it for the funeral of a scouter friend. It still looks great.

my son has had 3 uniform shirts so far - this one should last thru the end - maybe. If not - is sewing THAT much of a chore?

laura