Flag is backwards

Well, I know I've read about this before, but I guess maybe someone here could provide more insight. Some Amvets were at our district roundtable tonight. They brought up the fact that our BSA shirts have the wrong flag on them. We are wearing left shoulder flags on the right shoulder. The flag is to be worn and displayed on planes etc to appear as if it were blowing in the breeze. I always knew this was the case, but never thought much to argue the fact or question why. If anyone can answer this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

cjmiam

I'll advance a theory to your question. I'm a professional Scouter with nothing to back me up, so I want to stress that it is only my own personal view, and not the view of the Boy Scouts of America.

The flag on a uniform or vehicle should be portrayed as flying in the direction of the wind or viewed from left to right.

On a stationary American Flag, the flag is displayed with the stars on the left --- just the way it is on the BSA uniform and in a room and on a wall.

My theory is that the stars are on the right on soldiers' uniforms because they are rushing toward an enemy and not standing still.

However, the free thoughts given above are worth exactly what you paid for them. I defer to the knowledge of this forum as I have no official knowledge or precedent to base my opinion upon.

(sorry to be so politically cautious. I've wondered about this topic myself.)

DS

• Like 1

The stars facing the right on the military uniform is a historical symbol.

Back in the civil war each military unit had flag bearers. When these soldiers carried the flags running toward the enemy the flag would be flowing in the breeze with the union "facing right". Also below is some other reasons that I found.

The flag decals have the union (the blue area with the stars) on the side closer to the front of the plane. On the plane's left, the decal shows the flag with the union at the left, as usual. On the plane's right side, the union is on the right. This is done so that the flag looks as if it is blowing in the wind created by the forward movement of the ship or airplane. You can see this on cars and trucks as well. . There are two separate flag patches in the Army inventory: the normal U.S. flag replica that is worn on the left sleeve, and what is referred to as the "reversed field" flag patch, which is worn on the right sleeve.

YIS

Cary P

Proud member of the USAF and BSA :)

Flag ettiquette and the BSA Handbook (pg. 44) say that when a flag is hung against a wall (or an arm, in this case), the union is to the observer's left. I would guess that in the military, someone figured out that displaying the flag this way indicates that the wearer is going backwards -- not something the military generally wants to do.

IMHO, the BSA is properly applying the rule, since the flag is being displayed statically, not flying in the breeze.

(All previous disclaimers as to personal opinion, political correctness, and due respect to the military are hereby acknowledged.)

• Like 1

We just had this discussion on the USSCOUTS foram a while back. I have included part of a response from Mike Walton which explains the flag patch issue. If you want to read the whole thing go to USSCOUTS Discuss-it page.

Quoted from Mike Walton below:

>Here's the bottom line:

*The Boy Scouts of America makes wearing of the U.S. Flag insignia an OPTIONAL ITEM. It has been this way since 1957, when the U.S. flag emblem was first added as a piece of BSA insignia in advance of the World Jamboree in Idaho in the early 60s.

*The Boy Scouts of America's National Uniform and Insignia Committee established HOW and WHERE the U.S. Flag insignia would be worn IF a Scout or Scouter chose to wear it on the official uniforms. It is worn on ALL UNIFORMS as the top-most piece of insignia on the RIGHT SHOULDER and no other location on an official BSA uniform, to include the red or blue jac-shirt and their lighter weight jackets. The Committee determined that since the U.S. Flag Code does NOT specifically address the direction the flag should be worn on an article of clothing, that the flag would be worn as if you are looking at that flag from afar, with the stars *to the rear*.

*The Boy Scouts of America has NO PLANS to alter that flag emblem; and Scouts and Scouters should wear the U.S. Flag emblem as displayed in the BSA's Insignia Guide.

*With regard to "who's right," since the U.S. Flag Code does not place *in writing* how our national flag would be worn on a uniform, both the military and the BSA (and other organizations) are absolutely correct. Each organization sets their own uniforming policies and it is NOT dictated by "congress" nor by anyone else other than that organization. Note that while the BSA is chartered through an act of Congress, that the BSA is free to provide their own policies concerning uniform and insignia wear without Congress' input (and this is a GOOD THING)!!

*Finally, Scouts and Scouters should be proud to wear our nation's flag on the uniform, but not all Scouts and Scouters *can do this*. So let's not be forcing kids and adults to do something which is against their moral or religious upbringing, okay?? There are several religious organizations and faiths who do NOT allow their members to wear anything which symbolizes an alliegence toward. These faiths and organizations believe that "God" or "Allah" is more important than "country" -- and this is EXACTLY WHY the BSA does NOT and WILL NOT make the wearing of the U.S. Flag emblem MANDATORY.

Hope that all of these points helps you and your Scouts in coming to grips with "why do the military wear the flag "backwards" and we in Scouting wear the flag "forwards".

• Like 1

There may not be language in the US Flag Code or any other Federal Statute that dictates which direction the star field faces. However, there is an advisory group (exact name escapes me) on flag etiquette that does outline the current practice you see on aircraft and military uniforms.

Their admitted unofficial guidance is that the star field should face direction of travel on an object that moves.

This didn't become an issue for the military until we began wearing flags on our sleeves or brassards in coalition or UN-sponsored operations.

IMHO, it's not a huge issue for BSA. Could we change five million flags? Sure. Do we need to? Absolutely not.

KS

• Like 1

If BSA considers wearing of the flag "optional", it seems odd that they come already sewn in place on the shirts...they don't do that with any other common insignia, including the world crest, which is not optional, as far as I know. Just curious. Not complaining...the few patches I have to sew on, the better.

If BSA considers wearing of the flag "optional", it seems odd that they come already sewn in place on the shirts...they don't do that with any other common insignia, including the world crest, which is not optional, as far as I know. Just curious. Not complaining...the few patches I have to sew on, the better.

The flag worn on BSA uniforms is diplayed in the 'static' position for viewing. The military adopted the flag going forward, following military traditions. My understanding is that BSA has been granted the ability to wear the flag, one of the few organizations so honored. yis

• 4 weeks later...

I remembered something in the US Flag Code about it being on clothes. I just read the code and it says nothing about its direction, so I presume it would be up to the authorized organization to decide. Being former military, I understand their version. Here is what the code says about wearing the flag on a uniform:

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Thought this could help

YIS

Bob

MLB, NBA, NFL etc. "get away" with having the "flag" on their uniforms because they interpret the patch as a "respresentation" of the flag and not a flag or part of a flag in actuality. Sounds like splitting hairs but since ... No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

It seems to me that there has to be some allowance for flags on uniforms being representations of flags, or some other such exemption. If a fottball player has a flag sewn on his uniform, he best not be tackled, or it will likely touch the ground. Obviously, that is not how we should be treating an American Flag.

I guess the same could be said for a Scout playing Capture the Flag or other active games in uniform, too though.

Mark