I was looking over the participant Personal Equipment List for Wood Badge, taken out of the book. All which made good sense to me. Then I got to:" Shoes or Boots (not white please.)"

I have always gone for Black or Brown. Maybe due to the fact that I always buy shoes and boots that are that way !!

So if White is not ok, is red or how about a nice shade of green ?

The only white shoes I know of are women's shoes or tennis shoes. I'm assuming that this is BSA's way of saying no tennis shoes without actually saying it. They have a certain knack for that. Maybe they said no white shoes instead of tennis shoes because some joker will say that their shoes are basketball, running, cross training, etc. However, "tennis" shoes come in a wide variety of colors nowadays. Beats me!

Dark shoes, whether loafers, boots, or even athletic shoes, are preferred with the uniform (please don't ask me where, it's in one of the references). I don't think it's a "no sneakers" conspiracy, because dark sneaks are okay. I do think it's because the color combination of the uniform items matches dark shoes better than white...unless you've got a white neckerchief. Or, if you have a white backpack, or in some other way, the shoes match other accessories. C'mon, this stuff is serious. In addition to building men of high character, we can also aspire to build men of high sartorial awareness.

KS

I am the Scoutmaster.

I was going to suggest a nice shade of chartreuse, but I'm unsure of the correct spelling !!

However, the Spats idea does seem to have a lot of merit.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to wear appropriate footwear on the first day.....just for impression sake. After that you may want to have a different color for each day. Perhaps your shoe color could match the sunrise/sunset colors. As an even greater statement of personal expresion, you could check with the cooks and match the color of the days menu. Of course at times a gppd pair of high, very high boots might be in order.

Wood Badge is intended to be a personnal expierence, so go for it, express yourself.

OGE, remember the sound that the spats made? I miss that sound.