How do we encourage boys to wear the full uniform with pride?

In another thread SCOUTLDR said, . . . we have a bigger challenge. The uniforming of the youth, supposedly our "cream of the crop", was atrocious. One particular example...a 17 year old Eagle Scout Vigil who looked like he was coming off a week-long bender. The day was 40 degrees with a stiff wind. ALL he was wearing was a wrinkled Venture shirt, a pair of blue jeans shorts, and flip-flops. I frequently share SCOUTLDRs frustration and disappointment.

My question is HOW DO WE ENCOURAGE BOYS TO WEAR THE FULL UNIFORM WITH PRIDE? I am speaking of boys who own the entire uniform I want to avoid a common discussion that occurs here about how boys dont have to wear the entire uniform if they cant afford it. Also, lets pretend it is a more perfect world and that uniforms are not over-priced. We could easily say, get National to lower prices on uniforms and more people can wear them but that is not going to happen.

First, I believe it starts from the top down. Council and District leaders have to wear the complete uniform (all the time) and expect other leaders to wear the uniform. Then the leaders have to wear the entire uniform all the time and encourage families to be in uniform. Finally, I think it may be difficult in areas where blue jeans have been the normal uniform pants for so long. In my new pack, the uniform shirt only appears to be full uniform. I rarely see official hats, belts, pants, or socks.

MY REAL QUESTION IS THIS: Do any of you have internet links to share that offer leader guides or discussions about improving uniforming in an organization? What has worked in your area to improve full uniforming.

Yes, I believe it is important to wear the entire uniform. It is an important public relations tool. It is how the public finds out that Scouting is still around. It is how the public sees that Scouts are still doing good turns. The public WANTS to see those cute Cub Scouts in the entire blue uniform. The WANT to see a Rockwell-like representation of a boy scout in our current youth. Every time the public sees a scout in a wrinkled shirt, jean shorts, and flip-flops, they capture a poor image of Scouting.

imascouter

To achieve these ranks, a scout has to have a position of responsibilty. 4 months for Star and 6 months for Life and Eagle. The position descriptions in the Junior Leader Handbook state that they have to wear the uniform correctly. The question we have to ask is, are the Scoutmasters making sure these scouts adhere to their responsibilities? Because the requirement states only to hold the position and not to be successful at it, they get by with it. Does the wording need changing? What do you think?

Doug

SCOUTLDR's example only brought it to my mind again. I am speaking of all scouts (Wolf, Webelos, Tenderfoot, Eagle, etc.)

I think most Scouts will follow the norm. If no Scout wears uniform pants then another Scout will not want to wear his.

Yes, I think it starts with Leaders, first by example, then by expectation for the boys. The problem is when it has been done one way for so long. (Kind of like you hear leaders saying, "We're going to try the 'patrol method,' but it will be difficult because it has never been done that way in the past.")

Not to argue semantics (as I would never want to appear anti-semantical) but the answer to the question, "How do we encourage boys to wear the full uniform with pride? " answers itself.

When a boy is proud to be a Boy Scout, he will wear his uniform with pride. The question is, how do we instill pride in our scouts? So many times I hear from the boys that other kids consider the Boy Scout uniform "gay" and what Boy Scouts do as "sissy" (the irony is sublime). Adults can wear the most complete of uniforms, but until the boys see that being a boy scout is respected by their peers, getting them to wear the uniform will be difficult.

So, along with how do we encourage the boys to wear the uniform with pride, how do we get them to be proud of being scouts, or perhaps, keep them proud of being a scout?

When I think of the whitewater rafting, canoeing, hiking, orienteering our troop does, I cant conceive of how that is considered sissy, but then again, I think like an adult. I know we have scout members of the forum, help us old geezers out, what do we do?

Seems like a simple question. My answer - ensure all the adults in leadership who are in direct contact with the Scouts on a daily basis (SM, ASM, etc) are in full uniform at all Troop meetings & functions. Lead by example!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Those peers who are so harsh on the boy scouts (gay, sissy, etc.) are the same kids that spend all their time playing video games - at best - and engaging in a wide variety of destructive behaviors including smoking,drinking,drugs - at worst. Sounds like sour grapes or jealousy to me.

My son wouldn't wear the uniform while enrolled in public school because he wanted to fit in so badly - with these losers. THIS was the invaluable socialization lesson that I was supposed to be happy he was getting in the public schools. Great. Just what I wanted. A conformist kid aiming for the least common denominator.

Now that he has been removed from public education, he wears his uniform with pride. Even presses it when necessary. Because NOW the most important acceptance arenas for him are a)his own opinion; b)his family's opinion, and c) our church.

It is a significant improvement.

Julia

Don't want to get off-thread, but I have to mention that, at least in our neighborhood, I know some kids in public schools who are not "losers"...two of them were mine and two others who come to mind were my wife and I. I am an Eagle Scout, have a master's degree and a 6 figure income...and am proud to be a public school product.

EAGLEDAD, thanks for your input on this topic. I appreciate the angle you take on this, and believe you are quite correct.

You state, "(we) should ask, "what values will the boy gain from wearing the full uniform and how can I teach him those values". (excellent I think) Further you state, "I suggest before we discuss how to encourage boys to wear full uniforms, we first discuss why that is so important." (yes!) Finally you also state, "Uniform is one of eight methods the scouts use to develop character and integrity." (A statement that means little to the boys I suspect.)

OK, I am with you completely. So convince me (a youth) why, why should I wear the entire uniform? What's in it for me? Why should it be important for me? None of the other boys wear it, and besides I heard that some think it looks very sissy!

Wow! Great backhand Imascouter, OK its back in my court. I can write all day on this; so allow to me try and give ideas then allow the discussion to grow. As an adult, I want my sons to learn values that will help them when they are 30 years old, married with two kids.

The uniform gives identity. It is an equalizer in that everyone starts equal by wearing it. The poor are equal with the rich. The Catholic is equal with the Jew. A boy from California looks no different from the boy from New York. You wont have to feel intimidation to try looking as important as the other guy does. The uniform also gives self-identity. A scout can set himself apart from the other scout by rank, leadership, patrol and even elite organizations like OA. While we start out as equals, our character sets us on different paths in life. The patches on the uniform identify our goals, dreams, experiences and rewards. Each scout is an individual when he wears the uniform.

The scout uniform gives a perception. An elderly womens car breaks down late at night in an unfamiliar part of town. Two boys approach her from opposite sides of the street. Only one is in a Boy Scout uniform. Who will she pick to ask for help? Why? Once while traveling to Backpack in the Pecos, we stop to visit the Santa Fe art festival. Our scouts asked for a break from uniforms but the adults wore theirs. Our scouts were very impressed when we adults were given free lunches by the venders. They said it was a way of saying thanks. But it was more than that, out of crowd of thousands of people, we were identified as people of higher respect. Its fair to admit your scout's friends in school may not be seen wearing a scout uniform, but if they were to ask the qualities of a scout, more than likely character, trustworthy, and leader would come up, even from their friends. The Boy Scout uniform is well respected by most all.

The uniform is a tool to build character. Sit down with your PLC and ask them what is the proper uniform. As an adult, you do not need to answer, and in fact more than likely you would be wrong too. After the discussion has been beat in the ground, ask the SPL to read the proper uniform from his handbook. At another time, ask the scouts about making decisions, when is it ok to make good ones, bad ones and so on. Mention the saying of Character is what you have when nobody is looking. Ask the scouts for examples of that. Youre given the incorrect change at a store, or you see someone who needs help opening a door. Is it fair to say that we can develop the habit of making bad decisions as well as good ones? Yes, in fact that is our job is to practice good habits in the troop. If a scout decides to not wear the uniform described in the book, is that a good decision, or bad. What habit is he feeding?

I can go on but I need to let other contribute.

Barry

Thank you for the kind words. Use all our post to your best advantage. I'm sure I have forgot a lot. We need to look at every aspect of scouting as a tool or advantage to build better men. I tell new parents that we are in the job of build citizens of character and leaders of integrity. In this skeptical rough and tumble world we have to use every trick in the book to help these guys see the advantages of making the right choices, freely giving a helping hand, and holding each other accountable in a compassionate way. I see uniforms as a great tool.

As for your Pack problem. I got all my cubs into uniform by insisting the Webelos dressed in full uniforms. I called them my Cub Masters helpers and gave them the responsibility to set up chairs before meetings, run the flag ceremonies and take charge of clean up after all meetings. They got to help run pinewood derbys, help at campfires, special recognition from me, treats, and even awards. I made the Webelos the cool guys to be. But the Webelos had to be in full uniform to participate in being the CM Helper. In one years time the whole pack was in full uniform because they wanted to be as cool as the Webs. As for the adults, just explain that you have a job to do and they need to be seen as the role models of the pack. How does a scout know who gives that extra effort if they dress like all the other adults. Uniforms are a sign of responsibility and unselfish giving. These are qualities you need the scouts to see learn.

Does this help?

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

"It is after all in details correctly worn that the inner discipline of the Movement is shown. But the correct wearing of the Uniform and smartness of turn out of the individual Scout depends largely on his pride in himself and his Troop. This can be largely developed by the Patrol Leader encouraging his Patrol to outshine its neighbors in these respects, and each fellow plays the game to the best of his ability for the honor of the Patrol. The Scout kit, through its uniformity, now constitutes a bond of brotherhood among boys across the world.

"One slovenly Scout, inaccurately dressed, may let down the whole Movement in the eyes of the public. Show me such a fellow and I can show you one who has not been taught and who has not grasped the true Scouting spirit and who takes no pride in membership in our great Brotherhood.

"Yes--show me such a fellow and I can show you a Patrol Leader who has not done his job, and I can show you a Scoutmaster who has not the Scout spirit himself or who has failed to convey it to the boys in his Troop."

Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Chief Scout of the World

Well said Eagledad,

Another important part of proper uniforming is the lessons it teaches on good grooming and importance of proper attire to fit the proper occasion. Scouts neea to learn that to dress properly whether for work, play or socila situations that you have to think about how you look and what you wear from head to toe. A scout field uniform shirt with soccer shorts to a Court of Honor is no more a more appropriate than wearing a suit jacket and swim trunks to a job interview. These are lessens that they will use throughout their life, but it needs to be taught with adults setting a positive example and with respect for the boys you are teaching. Harsh words and punishments for poor uniforming will not motivate a scout to do the right thing.

Bob White