temporary patches and inspections for Cubs

In working on the uniforming of the pack, we have run into a small problem within the leaders about inspctions and proper insignia placement. Some leaders feel that the placemet of patches is a close enough thing or at least they got it on the uniform. The placement of the temporary patch is the biggest thing. Some of our leaders have temp. patches above and on the right pocket and on their sons, when approached, they get really uptight about it. I understand the rule for the female leaders in Cubs wearing either uniform shirt can place a temp patch above the right pocket but can still wear only one (not one there and on the pocket).

The inspections are another issue but involve the temp patches. Most the leaders support doing inspections. However, some feel requireing proper patchplacement and everyone striving to look their best in their uniform will take away from the boys fun. I think we can make it fun especially if we let the parents know where the patches andother awards belong before they are put onto the uniforms.

These are issues we are discussing as a committee. Any suggestions on how to get these points to follow BSA standard rather than how some leaders feel would be appreciated.

thank you

momandscout

I know my situation probably (hopefully) is not a common one. My son joined as a Webelo 1 just shy of 2 months now. We bought his tan uniform and I went to great lengths (got out the ruler) to make sure his patches are placed properly. I showed him how to roll his neckerchief. I go to the den meetings and pack meetings and it drives me nuts. I have my doubts if this pack has ever done an inspection. The den leaders son came to the den meeting this week wearing camo pants with the legs ripped off halfway between the ankle and knee. Tennis shoes with no socks. His shirt untucked and half his collar sticking up with his neckerchief sort of wadded underneath. I've seen every configuration of patch imaginable on their shirts. The Cub Masters son has his Bobcat, Wolf, Bear and Webelo patch all inside a huge diamond shaped plastic sleeve hanging from his pocket button instead of sewn on. I don't know what to think. My son is almost 10. He started in baseball just as he turned 5. Even at 5 years old and playing tee-ball, the coaches were adament about proper uniform wearing. You wore a belt...period. You wore a hat...period....and it better be turned the right way. You had your shirt tucked in....period. On teams that had more than one style of uniform, you'd better show up in the correct uniform for that game. Even after the game, if you stayed at the field, you stayed in uniform and better not get caught running around with your shirt untucked. You represented the team when you were in uniform and you would be a good reflection. The boys took pride in their uniforms and knew how important it was to wear it correctly. I do think Cubs tries to be too "fun" sometimes. Of course it should be fun, but teaching values is something that is serious. It doesn't slip up from behind them when they are not looking and having fun. I'm having a hard time dealing with the casual atmosphere of Cubs right now. I think it is one reason why there is such a drop off between Cubs abd Boy Scouts. You go from "anything goes and let's just play" to having to do everything for yourself and work hard for merit badges. I think kids will rise to your expectations. I've seen it in sports. I think it can be done in Cubs and still be fun.

Now, after my soapbox speech, I have a question. The way I read the insignia information, the Webelo Den Number or Patrol patch is supposed to go right beneath the US Flag. Not an inch or two below. If you wear the colors, they are pinned touching the bottom of the flag and covering the den number/patrol patch. Is that correct? That is the way I read it and the way I make my son wear it. He argues with me because every other Webelo in the den wears their colors under the patrol patch and hanging off of their sleeve touching their arms. I think one of the biggest problems is cub leaders not taking the time to talk to the parents and explain things. We are learning as we go and just pick stuff up or when I ask. No one has offered any information.

kwc57,

"The way I read the insignia information, the Webelo Den Number or Patrol patch is supposed to go right beneath the US Flag. Not an inch or two below. If you wear the colors, they are pinned touching the bottom of the flag and covering the den number/patrol patch. Is that correct?"

Yes. That is my understanding as well. It seems odd, but I can live with it.

momandscout,

The temporary patches and their placement on the uniform drive me nuts as well. My belief is that they go on the right pocket or hang from the button. There should also be only one worn at a time. Just last night, before a Veteran's Day ceremony, I was doing a last minute look over our boys and was surprised at what I found. Most of the boys would have passed a formal uniform inspection. There were two boys there from my Bear den that had dressed themselves and looked excellent. Pretty impressive for 8 yr olds in my book. However, when I looked over our CM's son, he would have clearly not passed. He had a temporary patch sewn on above the pocket, his Summertime Pin in the wrong place on the pocket flap and had his Father's Bobcat pin also on the flap (which I thought was very cool, but not a part of the uniform). Several boys also had their rank badges pinned on their pockets and not sewn on yet. Of the leaders present in their uniforms, all were dressed correctly. (If you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk.)

I tend to cut the boys slack on are the Academics and Sports pin. If they wear them neatly on their hats, I will accept that. These boys are proud of those beltloops and pins and it doesn't seem right for them to be able to wear beltloops as part of their uniform and not the pins. (I'll probably take a tongue lashing on this one!)

I also let the boys slide if they have their Progress Toward Ranks medallion hanging in front of a sewn on badge in the temporary badge location. The patch that is usually sewn on is the World Conservation Award and the PTR covers it up completely.

I was very proud of all the compliments from the Veterans and community leaders about how well dressed and behaved our Scouts were during the 2 hr event. I personally believe that their behavior was at least in some way attributed to their good uniforming.

Uniform - having always the same form, manner, or degree : not varying or variable.

I just read this on the uniform inspection sheet:

"Webelos activity badges are worn on the light blue front panel of the Webelos cap or on the optional Webelos colors, if selected by the pack."

My form looks to be a little out-of-date and I'm not sure how this is affected by the new caps.

I also see the following on the sheet:

"Temporary insignia are not necessary in uniform inspection, but if worn, must be centered on the pocket..."

Webelos, Webelos, Webelos (NOT Webelo!!)

Sorry, that is one of my pet peeves.

One thing I did in my den was let the boys come to me when they felt they were ready for a uniform inspection. I had a uniform inspection sheet but I let the other boys "grade" the Cub Scout under inspection. The graders were much harder than I would have been. Patch placement, awards, hat, scarf (okay, neckerchief), slide, belt, etc. were all reviewed. At the Cub level I let the pants (if blue) and socks slide. Letting the boys do the grading taught them, or reinforced, their knowledge of proper uniforming. If a passing grade was given, I awarded the boy a PASSED Uniform inspection patch for their brag vest ($1.00/ea). It was a good inducement for them to make sure mon (or dad) put the patches in the proper place!!

At last weeks CAN-DO food drive (Scouting for Food), my Troop manned the trailer. I was working with a Tiger den helping them to pack boxes. The boys were very impressed with my interaction with them (I love the enthusiasm the Tigers have and always try to get them involved) and they asked if I was an Eagle Scout (I am not). I took the opportunity to point out a few of the things on my uniform (Scoutmaster with a few training award knots). I described what the various knots were and how the varying colors (blue & gold for den leader, gold for Webelos den leader, red white & blue for Eagle, red & green for AOL etc.) signified the different awards. They were all psyched up when I told them that they would have the opportunity to earn the AOL and wear that on their Boy Scout uniform as a youth and as a "knot" as an adult. They were very attentive and very interested in the uniform. To keep their interest, it is all in how you present it to them. Even the first graders can be taught to take pride in their uniform.

My pet peeve people who complain about something without giving suggestion to help the issue! ;)

WEBELOS = WE BE LOyal Scouts

Once I understood this I never mispelled it again, well very often.

All of the above has been very well said. Yes, the uniform is important.

Was at a pack meeting last night, all those Wolves in their basically new uniforms looked so sharp. They still had lots of fun, even wiggling around on the floor -- just watch out for those falling neckerchief slides.

I saw one leader very quietly explain to a young boy how to wear his temporary patches that had hang loops, as she moved the one from the left pocket to the right. Since one had just been received at that meeting, she told him to pick his favorite and only wear it next time. Wasn't a boy in her den, just a Cub Scout needing a little guidance.

The Scout uniform shirt is the one shirt my son really understands must be tucked in and worn properly. Even young boys can take great pride in their uniform.

"The Cub Masters son has his Bobcat, Wolf, Bear and Webelo patch all inside a huge diamond shaped plastic sleeve hanging from his pocket button instead of sewn on."

Actually The patch holders are very handy for people who don't like or don't know how to sew. There are also square and round temporary patch holders. They are sold by the BSA in your local Scout Shop. We have always given our boys wearing these passing grades on uniform inspection.

dan,

I know it is in the BSA "doctrine" now but WE BE LOyal Scouts really grates on me. To me it just sounds like bad English or Ebonics. I know the BSA doesn't promote it anymore, but the Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout (WeBeLoS) mnemonic is much easier on the ears.

However, you are right. I should not just complain but offer a suggestion.

Scoutnut,

I know about the plastic sleeves. We have several different sizes that we use for temp patches that don't have an attached button loop. However, even though made for the purpose, I don't think the huge 4 compartment one for the rank patches is appropriate for pemanent wear. An alteration shop will sew them on for a small fee if someone can't do it themselves. Also, the ScoutShop online sells a fabric glue for faastening patches. The thing is just so huge on a small Cubs shirt and flops around. It looks tacky. Just my opinion and pet peeve.

We try not to allow the plastic holders except for temporary patches because of how bad they tend to look. I have told (especially new) parents that any patch that has a designated place on the uniform should be sewn on. I will be offering to sew patches on for a small fee to our pack and to local the troop. Does anyone have suggestions for fees? My sons and my uniforms are as correct as I can make them, I want to be a good example.

momandscout

momandscout,

I had two patches sewn onto my son's tae kwon do uniform by an alteration shop. Each one was round and about the same diameter of a coke can. They charged $6.00 to sew on both I believe. My wife tried using some fabric glue on our son's scout uniform and they started turning lose the first time he wore it. So, begrudgingly she pulled out her sewing kit and stitched each one on. I'm not sure how much you should charge. Maybe for a new shirt that needs a council patch, troop/pack number, world scouting emblem and one rank badge you could charge $5.00. That would be a bargain over an alteration shop or someone having to do it themselves. Maybe $1.00 per additional patches down the road.