Sorry folks I need to vent. What has happened to Scout Spirit? In the five years I've been a Scouter I have not seen much of it. Let me start of by saying that I realize everyone has their definition of 'Scout Spirit'. I think if we compare it to the ideas the founders had regarding 'Scout Spirit' a lot of people will find they are way off base. From the adults on down something has gone wrong. I have heard people at all levels complain of policy from National and Council not suiting them. Oh, we dont wear uniforms because ... what is this nonsense, Comunity service... sure we do what is needed to get a Scout rank requirment. I'm sorry I was rude or interrupted or talked back but... where did respect go? The reason this Life Scount can't tie knots... I thought they had to know as part of a rank requirment some where down the line. Yes he is the JASM but only so he can have position for Eagle... so its ok for him to be late and not interact with his Troop. All Scouts need to follow directions or else... except the Scouts who parents are leaders or committe members. I dont want to go on this @!&*%# hike... its ok to talk this way and express your views. The OA members promoting the values of OA membership during an Ordeal... will sleep inside a building instead of under the stars and show our true commitment to campership. As an adult who has great self importance I... dont think rules and regs apply to me. I know how he acts at home and toward others, but he shows spirit at meetings(he shows up)... I thought Scout Spirit was a reflection of the Scout Oath and Law and took place 24/7. Yes we know he is only in Scouts because mom and dad said so and that he will not help other scouts... but he just passed his Eagle Board of Review. Boys today are not the same as they were 90 years ago... really? And on and on....excuse, excuse,excuse. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me the founders had the right idea from the start. What a Scout should be and can be, why they wear the uniform and how it is to be worn, how to treat others, respect for others, country, and self, community service for the sake of service, 'Do A Good Turn Daily', yes sir or yes mam, you are expected to do your best, and be prepared. Tenderfoot a boy learns about scouting, Second Class he learns scouting skills, First Class he puts together both and is finally a 'real Scout'. Star he explores and learns more,what it means to be a good citizen, to be thrifty and why service is important. Life is just that, a Scout for life, learning disipline, responsibility, additional skills and more about himself, almost a man. Eagle, he now puts all that he has learned and is ready to serve, to help others, to 'BE Prpared' and recognizes the blessings of God, ready to be a man. Baden-Powell said in his day scouting didn't make sense and that it isn't for everyone. Perhaps Baden-Powell was right and Scouting doesn't make sense and is not for everyone. Do we as Scouts and Scouters really belive the meaning of the Scout Oath and Law or are they words to use as we see fit. Maybe its time to break camp and go home? I hope not.

Thanks for letting me vent.

You've pretty much outlined much of the current problems in Scouting. Scouting Spirit has always been a requirement open to interpretation. Who signs it off??? After over twenty-five years as a Scoutmaster, it has become a requirement I have dealt with as I hold the Scoutmaster's Conference. Since this allows one person's consistent opinion (as I am also not a parent to any of the Scouts), of what Scout Spirit is, and allows me to apply it to each individual Scout. I haven't had anybody, adult or youth leader, fight with me over this requirement. I must be doing okay. I've attempted to change with the times, but much of what you say is true. However, as I have continued to work with and train our Troop's Assistant Scoutmasters, I would like for them to study and apply this requirement under the current BSA rules, as they interpret it, as I will be retiring soon.

sst3rd

Uncle Bob,

A Boy Scout round of applause for you! What you have addressed is the integrity of the Scouting program. What is the REAL purpose of the BSA program, to make it to Eagle, or to help boys with Citizenship training, character development and personal fitness? ...to help boys learn skills and how to work together as a patrol, or to find the easiest way to do something? ...to help boys learn respect for others, especially adults, or to let them think only of themselves? Scout Spirit is having the grasp of all of the above, plus some.

I saw a great example of what Uncle Bob was talking about last weekend at our Klondike derby. I was working as a staff member at a TIMED event requiring SCOUTS to start a fire without matches, lighters, liquid fuel, etc., get the fire going enough to cook two scrambled eggs and then eat them. There would be awards to the top three finishers. We had a group come in with wood chips soaked in LIGHTER FLUID! The adult with the group did it "for the boys". I disqualified them. Another example of LACK of Scouting Spirit.

I often think of President Kennedy's speech when he talked of going to the moon. "We choose to go to the moon... not because it is easy, but because it is hard." One gets a lot more out of something if they take the hard route.

Thanks for addressing the issue, Uncle Bob!

Uncle Bob, I'm with you brother!

I have seen what you describe in my area too. The lack of Scout Spirit does exist and is probably the biggest threat to the Scouting movement. Luckily there are still those in our number that understand what Scout Spirit is and do their best to instill it in our Scouts.

Keep on keeping on.

Gee gang, compared to other organizations I thought scouting was doing pretty good.

I can't honestly say if scout spirit has declined from some golden past. To the extent that scout spirit has declined and this is reflected in the general conduct of the members, this is largely a reflection of declines in behavior and standards in the larger society. (Think Bill Clinton, Latrell Sprewel, and Grammies for Eminem) I can think of one incident several years ago where the winning car in a Pinewood Derby cheated. But on the whole, tacky behavior is less prevalent in scouting than what I have observed in schools and youth sports in particular.

Scouting is a human institution run by humans. While we set high standards for ourselves, we are all still in some ways weak. My closing thought is to avoid counsels of despair and each in our own way try to do "our best" to set the best example.

Eisely, you're right of course. You come back with a level headed commentary that I wish I had said.

I suppose there will always be people who try to circumvent the rules, who pencil-whip their son all the way to Eagle, and who allow their sons to be less-than-respectful of adults, etc., but remembering that "A Scout is Friendly" and "A Scout is Courteous" should guide us as adult leaders as we deal with them. It is our responsibility as leaders, however, to run our units properly, lay the groundwork for positive Scouting spirit, and lead by example. It all starts at the top.

There's always two sides to the story and, thanks to Eisely, we got both in this forum.

Good evening everyone. Thanks for letting me vent. It was very interesting to read the replies, some very good points. Well I would like to take amoment and share something with everyone. Today I was leaving the local Wally Mart and on the way out I noticed a man that I guessed to be about 70 helping a woman probably 60 pick up some bags she had dropped while going out the doors. I guess the automatic door was out of order. While helping her pick up the bags I overheard him say to her that he would carry them to her car. She said this wasn't neccesary and his reply stopped me in my tracks. "I have to he said. I've been a Scout for 52 years and thats what a Scout is suppose to do'. Wow! It gets better yet. I then proceeded to walk to my car and noticed about 20 feet in front of me a womwan I would guess to be in her late thirties or early forties and a young man somewhere between 15 and 17. He had bags in both hands while the woman had bags in one hand while pushing a shopping cart with a baby in it with the other. They were talking to each other as a son would with his mother and a mother with her son. They stopped at a blue Monte Carlo and the young man put the bags in the trunk. At this point I was about 10-12 feet away and noticed the woman reaching into her purse and offer the young man some money. I was parked next to them and took my time opening my car door when I overheard the young man say "thank you butI can't, I'm a Scout and did this because I wanted too'. Double WOW! As he walked passed me to get into his car our eyes met and I guess I had a big grin because he smiled at me as he passed. Have you ever been in a situation where you are just speachless? I sure was. Two men seperated many years by age, on the same day, in a matter of a few minutes, where joined together in the Scout Spirit. If I wasn't there I would not have believed it. I guess this was the Lords way of letting me know the Scout Spirit is alive and well after all.

Wow, Uncle Bob... are you sure you didn't walk right into a BSA promotional video filming session? How cool was that? It's nice to hear about things like that happening and people identifying themselves as Scouts. It's as if the ghost of the Scout who helped William D. Boyce in the fog in London in 1909, is being rejuvinated.

Scouting spirit is best identified by people who live by the Scout Oath and Law. I think it's our duty as Scouts and Scouters to do a helpful thing everyday and lead by example. Not everyone understands.

Scouts need all the positive publicity they can get right now. How many people do you suppose those two people told about the Scout helping them? It doesn't get any better than that!

I agree that things have changed in Scouting, as well as in society, but Scout Spirit still lives in:1) a young Eagle named Nick, who decided to take it upon himself to help get our Troop back to the patrol method, 2) Tyler, who decided not to play baseball this year, because sports was getting him behind just a little bit in his quest for 2nd Class, 3) Samuel, who even at 11 thought he should open the door for a lady with a handful of bags, 4)Ted, who decided it was better to keep his committment to staff at summer camp ALL summer, that to go on vacation with his family - and an ol' Bobwhite who WILL NOT ALLOW society, the United Way, the liberals, gays, athiests, or anyone else to stop me from helping boys learn right from wrong, and how to be a man.

And it still lives with you folks, who are concerned enough to both post and advise here.

Thank you all,

Stan Riddle

Eisely I would agree that scouting as a whole is doing better than most aspects of society. Also, I would agree with the statement:

"But on the whole, tacky behavior is less prevalent in scouting than what I have observed in schools and youth sports in particular."

I guess that when we do see bad behaviour in Scouting it seems so much more obvious, outrageous and painful to witness. I know that I for one have become desensitized to bad behaviour in society outside of scouting and have almost come to expect it. My biggest personal struggle (as I am sure some of you have noticed) is to not respond in kind.

I'm not sure who that reflects worse on, me or society in general.

Uncle Bob and Stan, thanks for sharing your experiences of scouting in action, we need to hear more stories like that. It helps to know we are making a difference.

(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

Well, here goes...

I try very hard not to get hung up on the variety of reason and lack thereof that society ventures forth with, or without. The human species is not something to be taken lightly, nor is it to be taken too seriously, either.

Kids will be kids. Always have been. Always will be. Unfortunately, we have little control over their environment outside of the Scouting world. We can only attempt to divert attention to what we feel the program offers as more worthwhile endeavors and challenges for the boys and their time with us. And while the boys are with us, we will come across some who are stupendous...outstanding...gentlemen in every aspect...and a real joy to work with. We will find others who are more challenging, yet who 'get it' more often than not, and are able to move on from Scouting with 'something' worthwhile from the experience. And then, there are others. Some might say these are the ones with no hope. Some might say they're lacking in attention and/or attitude and/or drive to do better. Some come into our lives fully vested with the knowledge of Eminem and his breed, or GameBoy and it's kind, or something else. They've been so cultivated to thrive on a life full of the stuff of TV and it's resulting culture, that they seem beyond salvage.

And then, there's the adults who come into the fold, or merely drop by to help, or just show their face and make their presence known for better or worse. Many of these are not too far removed from the culture in which their children have grown, and it's easy to pick that out. (Apple don't fall too far from the tree...) Others try real hard to participate and help. They might be all thumbs, or perpetual screw-ups. But they try. Some just get in the way. And then, there's others, who, like some of the boys, are outstanding. Whether or not they wear the uniform, they exude the Scouting spirit. They jump right in and work, work, work. They never question the goal, for trained or not, they understand.

All in all, I've found that if I look beyond the menagerie of the strange that Scouting affords us to be associated with, I find enjoyment in all the little things that go right. The big things are wonderful occurrences for sure...but it's all the little things that show me the true Scouting spirit. The big things come as a result of all those little things. They can be expected in time, and you'll usually know when and where they're coming. But it's the little things that surprise me and keep me guessing...and smiling.

If I dwell too long on the things I see and read in the news, I'd sooner leave the whole business behind. But I know that in Scouting, as probably no where else, the little things, unpaid for, not looked for, not expected, will make my day. For I know, at least hope, that someday, somewhere, all those good little things in a boys life that come from Scouts might add up to a fellow whose name will appear in some light as a shining example to many others.