nonconformative uniforms

I keep seeing a trend here that is somewhat disturbing. Many see the Tiger Cubs as being lightweight and wanting to borrow activities and ideas from Wolves and Bears. Many want the Tigers to be awarded with belt loops to stay encouraged and feel a part of things. Are we starting them too soon kind of like the Dad who wants to start his 4 year old in Tee-ball? If they earn a belt load of belt loops and borrow from the higher ranks, what are they going to do when they get to the higher ranks? Do it over? Is Tigers spreading Cubs too thin? Don't get me wrong, I know the kids enjoy it and so do the parents, but if it isn't substantial enough to stand on it's own, aren't we hurting our chances at keeping them interested down the road when they have already "been there, done that"?

kwc 57,

Do you see Tiger cubs as being more difficult than first grade elementary school?

The problem is not the readiness of the cubs. The problem is that as leaders you have to start someplace. Most parents get their first experience in Tiger Cubs. So you have the most inexperienced leaders there. Thats why a Pack Trainer becomes such an important position. Someone needs to make sure these new leaders know and use the methods of Cub Scouting as soon as possible.

Bob White

" they want the scout to be in a tan shirt before he ends his time in Webelos. Because 1)most 10-year olds don't want to wear the same uniform as a second grader. 2)It helps to encourage Webelos to crossover to Boy Scouts."

Why should they "want" anything? They should let the boys do what they want, if it is an option.

As for the others, I'll use my troop as an example. We are fed by two packs. Pack A stayed with the blue shirts, Pack B went with tan. Of the 20 boys that crossed over (8 from A, 12 from B), 9 of the B boys dropped in September but only one of A's boys did.

I look at the shirt as one of those "been there, done that" things that others have mentioned. What is special about crossing over when you've already been wearing a uniform that differs little from the Boy Scout uniform?

I cannot fix your units program I can only tell you why the option for the tan shirt exists for Webelos and what the real scouting methods are. How each unit chooses to use or not use these methods are up to the leaders who promised to deliver a scouting program.

Bob white

The key to remember about doing belt loops more than once is that each boy should do HIS best. My son knew a lot more about baseball as a 5th grader than he did as a 1st grader. He could meet the requirements as a first grader. As a 5th grader I expected more out of him than just how many outs in an inning.

Most of the boys I know did outgrow their blue shirts by end of 4th grade. There was one kid whose parents insisted on him wearing his blue shirt until crossover. There he stood in this tight blue shirt while all the other boys had on their brown shirt. They had plans for him to go on to Boy Scouting, they could have at least bought it the week before crossover. I also saw this same kid at middle school the other day with a t-shirt with large letters that said "Elementary school". I don't buy stuff for my son just because it's the latest fashion but even my son is leary about wearing his elementary school t-shirts to middle school.

Personally, I think getting 2 years out of a shirt is a great deal.

Bob White,

I was not trying to say that BSA is just out to make money off of uniforms. BSA wants the boys to wear the brown uniforms in Webelos for other reasons. The new Webelos badge does NOT go on the Blue Uniform. At some point the old Webelos badge will go away, right? I know it is still an option. You read something into my post that wasn't there.

The old webelos badge is no longer in production and is available only while supply last. Since the tan uniform shirt is optional, I did take the comment about the BSA "wants" you to buy a new uniform at the beginning of Webelos as a negative comment. They have made it an option to give families a greater flexibility in uniforming a growing scout about to change programs, and to keep boys in the program for the crossover to Boy Scouts. I apologize for misinterpreting your intention.

Bob White