Parent pins with leader uniform?

Really, this is what concerns people? Pins on uniforms? I'd rather worry about leaders wearing blue jeans or cargo pants with an untucked uniform shirt calling it a "Class A" unfirom.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll find a parent's pin under the pocket flap of some Scouter's uniforms... They know it's there and their son knows it's there. The rest of the world might only see it in passing, but it's kept c

Wow, I have been wearing my parent "mom" pins on my uniform since the very beginning. I have mixed emotions now. If it is not part of the uniform I guess I will have to conform and not wear them. I am

Technically, parent pins are not supposed to be on the uniform per the Guide. That said, our parent/leaders wear them on and it looks okay. I don't call them out on it because I have more important

My Parent-Leaders wear their parent pins on their uniform with pride, and no one "calls them out" on it. If someone did, they'd be told to "pound sand" loudly and proudly, and I'd back them up as COR.

You can call it "improper uniforming" and point to the Insignia Guide all you want, and preach how it's a "bad example for the Scouts" but....

How many of your Scouts have a copy of and know the contents of the Insignia Guide? My guess: somewhere near or equal to zero.

Our boys wear their rank pins on their lapels! It's just something they started doing---if they're all the same, we think that's OK.

Is being picayune about something as small as a parent pin really "a hill worth dying for"?

Just Food For Thought.

I like your logic. None of our scouts owns the guide to safe scouting, either, I think I'll stop making them use the buddy system since they don't have a copy of the rules and it's just a guide anyway. Anyone that makes a fuss can, like, totally shut up and leave, man!

I wear all of my parent pins for both of my boys on a lanyard around my neck. I wear it with my uniform any time I wear it. It has a name tag i the center of the lanyard, a cool cub scout neckerchief slide, since I don't wear a necker as COR, and I have my silver whistle and spark plug award on it as well. I get a lot of comments. Interestingly enough I've never lost the backing on any of those parent pins over the years of wearing them there.

• Upvote 1
My Parent-Leaders wear their parent pins on their uniform with pride, and no one "calls them out" on it. If someone did, they'd be told to "pound sand" loudly and proudly, and I'd back them up as COR.

You can call it "improper uniforming" and point to the Insignia Guide all you want, and preach how it's a "bad example for the Scouts" but....

How many of your Scouts have a copy of and know the contents of the Insignia Guide? My guess: somewhere near or equal to zero.

Our boys wear their rank pins on their lapels! It's just something they started doing---if they're all the same, we think that's OK.

Is being picayune about something as small as a parent pin really "a hill worth dying for"?

Just Food For Thought.

You are totally missing my point, I'm afraid. I made no mention of skirting safety rules. The topic is parent pins on adult leader uniforms.

Just Food For Thought.

No, I get your point: Only rules you like are rules, dude.

Just Food For Thought.

duplicate deleted

Just Food For Thought.

Perhaps after you have gained a bit more leadership experience, and time wo rking with other adults, you will be able to understand the nuances, "dude".

Just Food For Thought.

Decades of nuance, here, thanks. I simply find it childish that a guy would kick out volunteers if they were to dare utter uniform policy.

Just Food For Thought.

I never said "kick out volunteers." "Pound Sand" in this neck of the woods is part of a 5-word phrase commonly used in New England which is inappropriate for this forum. Our troop members find it highly offensive when someone attempts to insult our traditions because those traditions are not theirs.

I also find this kind of topic fascinatingly revealing in which troops are Adult-Led vs. Boy-Lead.

Just Food For Thought.

Your troop members sound as childish as you. You haven't the faintest idea how my troop is run just as you hadn't the faintest idea how long I've been with scouting. But don't let a 2-for-2 ignorance spree stop you from a 3rd misguided defense of your tacky tradition.

Just Food For Thought.

You have taken several false inferences and liberties in your last post. You have also insulted my troop which you know absolutely nothing about. (e.g. "childish", "tacky traditions"). At this juncture I believe it is in my, and the other readers' best interest to terminate any further attempt at adult conversation/debate with you. The Scout Law has guided me in this decision.

I'm old school, so not for not for me. I won't wear them because A) not for uniform wear and B) I remember when they were called "Mother's Pins."

Now if I ever get a Eagle Scout Dad tie tac, as well as one of the old green uniform ties, I may wear the tie tac with the tie. But again I'm old school and prefer neckers. :)

I'm old school, so not for not for me. I won't wear them because A) not for uniform wear and B) I remember when they were called "Mother's Pins."

Now if I ever get a Eagle Scout Dad tie tac, as well as one of the old green uniform ties, I may wear the tie tac with the tie. But again I'm old school and prefer neckers. :)

"Old school" is relative. American scouts didn't adopt neckerchiefs until the second decade of the organization, and in the 50s-70s (maybe before, but I don't have Uniform Guides from then) the necktie was the adult neck adornment. While neckerchiefs were always native to British scouts, BP wore a tie (in photos, he's always in a tie; in paintings/sculptures he's in a neckerchief).

You can get the green ties (which I would call old school) on eBay pretty reasonably priced (more reasonable, I think, for a 40-yr-old piece of history than what you pay for even a cheap tie in a dept store nowadays).

Just Food For Thought.

Does the Scout Law guide you to tell people to "pound sand"? Did the Scout Law also guide you to make a(n ignorant) dig at my (incorrectly supposed) lack of experience? Did it also guide you to equate proper uniforming to adult-led troop theory? No, I think far from "the Scout Law made me do it" you have a case of "the Devil made me do it."

I'm having a bit of fun poking at your crass defense of an improper practice. I am a dedicated contrarian. If the Scout Law has guided you to drop it, though, I'm happy to oblige. :)

Just Food For Thought.

I refuse to feed the trolls.

Fin.