More rugged outdoor uniform

Seems to me that when I was growing up ( a reallly long time ago) we were required to wear our uniforms whenever we were at a scouting event...including camping.

Our Pack and a Troop that I am an advisor of requires the same standards as national expects for the scouts. As for leaders we require tan shirt and OD/Forest trousers.

When camping we where our uniforms but have taken the initiative to "customize" a little. We ALL like the Tan Carhartt twill shirts, We remove the little carhartt tag above the right breast pocket and then swap out the carhartt buttons for official BSA buttons. We buy heavy weight Carhartt type twill ( or use a tan carhartt shirt for matching material)...VIOLA !!! a Heavy Duty Camping uniform shirt.

As for trousers...well I personally use my old Law Enforcement Uniform trousers (Immigration Service) in Forest Green.

I prefer a 3/4 Inch Brown leather belt that is tooled in a Basket Weave Pattern.

It seems to us that the kids who are wreeking havoc on their uniforms NEED the lee way but the adult leaders NEED to look professional.

My .02

I recently bought my first pair of uniform pants. They aren't too bad. The "cargo" pockets aren't very useful. The material seems pretty durable. The fit seems okay. Yes, I had to get a size bigger than I normally wear, but better loose than tight.

My son has been wearing his pants a lot lately. The knees didn't hold up good when he took a tumble off the skateboard, but neither did the skin on his knee.

I was onboard when the current uniform was introduced in 1979. One of the selling points of the new tan/olive uniform was that the olive pants were made of a jean like material. The last issue of the green pants were very thin. The olive pants were much thicker and stronger. In recent years, the pants are getting thinner again, just as they were in the late 1970's.

This may be done in an effort to cut cost of the uniform, but I have seen this trend before.

The uniforms should be rugged and wear like iron as they did when this design was first issued in 1979.

I would to see a "field grade" uniform and a "dress" unform. The "field grade" would be tougher and more durable than the "dress" uniform.

"I was onboard when the current uniform was introduced in 1979. One of the selling points of the new tan/olive uniform was that the olive pants were made of a jean like material. The last issue of the green pants were very thin. The olive pants were much thicker and stronger."

I've noticed that. I snagged a pair of trousers from the uniform exchange for my son, real antiques but I was impressed but the weight of the fabric. The new ones just seem flimsy. Maybe they should have the trousers made of REAL denim.

I agree that better outer wear is in order. I still love my red wool shirt jacket...it survived many trips to Philmont and still is in good order.

I have purchased a red polar fleece vest and jacket from Wearguard, they are very sturdy and more inportantly...WARM ( better when polar fleece vest is worn over the polar fleece jacket)

As for the outer layer I use a Red/Black parka with zip out liner.

I like the red wool watch cap with light gore tex liner.

The key is LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS !!!

Scouts have never (going by a collection of scout leader handbooks going back decades) been required to be in uniform at all times. They should be in uniform when appropriate to the activity.

It still reads like that today.

If the activity is to rugged or inappropriate for the field or activity uniform wear something else. Substituting non BSA uniform pieces is simply being out of uniform. If every State trooper wore the pants he or she chose to it would cease being a troopers "uniform".

Bob White

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm not a big fan of the current uniform because of all of its shortcomings, I've "adjusted" mine to be more suitable for high adventure. The trousers have been cut down and modified as knee breeches (no more wet cuffs when stepping out of the canoe). The seat and knees are re enforced. The addition of a gusset at the back means no belt to fool with. The shirt stays as is, with only the necessary patches..however, I'm looking at making changes to the shirt to make it more useable. I would love to get rid of the majority of buttons, maybe convert it to a pullover shirt...however, I've been tempted to make a uniform more in line with the style of the 18th century long hunter. With winter coming up, maybe I'll give it a go for a project....the worse that could happen would be a new fashion trend, sorta like the beret during the 70's.........