Why can't people just ASK where the patches go?

It's not rocket science, is it? Putting patches in the right spots on a uniform ranks slightly above mowing the lawn in complexity but is way below orbital mechanics.

I never cease to be amazed by the creative patch placement that I see on both Scouts and adults. Not only creative patch placement but creative patch wearing.

Last night I was at a meeting at a church and it turned out that a Webelos den was meeting there at the same time. I saw one boy coming and the first thing that caught my eye was that his rank diamond was complete but the bottom of it was the wrong color. Sure enough, here was a first year Webelos wearing the new Tiger Cub patch. Unless I missed something, there's no way that a boy could have been in the first group to earn the new Tiger badge last year and be a Webelos this year. I guess that mom just went out and bought it for him.

I've seen position patches on the front of the shirt. CSPs on the wrong arm. And now my favorite, troop number and CSP above the right pocket because "that's the way that the Girl Scouts do it."

Please parents, just look in the book and you'll see where every patch goes. Try it, it isn't that hard.

I had the privilege of pinning the eagle medal on one of our scouts this week. As I did so, I noticed that he was still wearing every one of his rank patches from tenderfoot on. His mom had merely sewn them on top of one another (rather than the more traditionl approach of removing the old ones first.) As a result, his life patch appeared to be half an inch thick.

Compared to some of the other infractions I've witnessed, this one was pretty minor. But it was certainly the most unusual.

My son's friend has a mom who swears she can't sew on a patch. So she sends the shirt to Grandma's house 200 miles away. The Cub Scout shirt looked great except the Tiger Cub strip was on the sleeve, not under the pocket.

If you don't know where it goes, leave it off until you can find out.

The information is in the book. If I remember correctly, the hang tag on the shirt showed it. The Scout shop will GIVE you a uniform inspection sheet when you buy the uniform. You can also print the uniform inspection sheet for free from www.scouting.org

ZP

It must be rocket science that is!

I can ask 4 scouters where the patches go and get 3 different answers! So must for asking!

Not all patches are shown in the Cub or Boy Scout Handbook! So now what should I do!

Jerry

Why do you think sewing a patch on top of a patch is an infraction?

Please take my post with a pinch of salt!

I have had so many discussions with scouters about my uniform being incorrect, that this just ruffles my fur! I had to change my uniform once because it was incorrect, I have been told at least 6 times it was incorrect.

Question can a religious square knot earned in Cub Scouts be transferred to the Boy Scout Uniform?

Remember that the only award that can be transferred from Cub To Boy Scouts is the Arrow of Light.

Yes, I know the CORRECT answer.(This message has been edited by dan)

The only Cub Scout award that transfers to the Boy Scout uniform is the Arrow of Light Award. The Religous Embelem program is operated outside the BSA and recognized by the BSA by allowing members to wear the medal and square knot on the uniform. If a Cub Scout is recognized with a Lifesaving award or religous embelem, the Cub may wear the square knot on his uniform when not wearing the medal. These knots will stay with Scout the rest of his Scouting career, Boy Scout, Venturer and adult. I personally have have a knot that I earned as a Cub Scout.

I was at a Cub Scout Pow Wow this weekend and was amazed to see a few people with their position patch on the wrong sleeve. I'm not one to get picky about how many inches from the shoulder, but I doubled check to make sure I at least have things on the right sleeve.

Seems a periodic uniform inspection, be it at the troop or pack level, might catch a few of those "sequential patch trees" and "wandering patches"...not to mention other uniform infractions that tend to come up with most units... Your Council should have the necessary charts depicting the placement of patches..We have them available as soon as the Scout joins...

Periodic uniform inspections are good. It is also important the adults wear the uniform in the correct manner. This will help set the example for the Scouts. There is a BSA publication regarding uniforming but I can't remember the title. Bob White, could you help out with this one?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• 1 month later...

The chairman of our little Cub Scout Pack in Cascade, Michigan, came up with a tremendous idea. He was dissatisfied with the condition of the uniforms, the placement of the patches, etc. So, we have a uniform inspection at the beginning of each Pack meeting. If the Cub's uniform is correct, he receives a fleur-de-lis which we pin to his shirt lapel (I know, that's not regulation...). We began softly, but are now exacting in our requirements. We've handed out so many of those dollar fleur-de-lis that we had to substitute gold ones for ten black ones. Some of the boys collars are filled with these things -- but the rest of their uniforms are GREAT! Where I would have used the "stick" and tried to enforce uniform neatness by emphasis, Scott did it with a "carrot" and, within two years, has made excellent progress. We're both now transferring over to a Troop with our boys and we're beginning the same thing there! The boys LOVE a reward. This has worked in our situation, it may work in yours.

when I bought the Scout shirt, it came with a tag attached that showed where the patches went. So this is another way to keep track of where they go but most people probably throw the tags out. A troop could distribute a diagram to parents each year, photocopying is not that expensive. After sewing my sons patches on myself for a while, I decided to take them to a local seamstress shop. For about 1 - 2 bucks she sews 'em on. I gave her a diagram of where the patches go because she said she gets Scout shirts regularly. The point is, you might want to steer the wayward patch sewers toward a "professional" after you make sure the pro has the correct specs.

• 1 month later...

RE: religious award square knots...the silver on purple knot may be worn regardless of which award (Cub, Boy Scout)...if earned as a Cub Scout, the metal cub scout device is attached to the knot...if the Boy Scout version is earned, the Boy Scout device can be added. The same applies to adult square knots, such as the Scouter's Key. I also read once in the Insignia Guide that Eagle Palms should be attached to the Eagle Square Knot, although I never see them worn that way.

A Boy Scout may wear a square knot for a religious emblem earned as a Cub Scout? That's a new one on me. I thought the AOL was the only Cub Scout award that may be transferred to the Boy Scout uniform. Do you have a cite for that?

By the way, always wear my palms on my Eagle knot.

twocubdad,

Boy, I wish I could remember where I read this earlier this week. I was surprised too. I had always thought that the AOL was the only thing transferable to a Boy Scout uniform. But I did read earlier this week where the religious emblem earned in Cubs could also be worn. I'm just getting too old to remember things afer a few days. I think the difference is that the AOL is the only BSA patch that is transferable. The religious emblem is not earned thru the BSA, but can be worn on the uniform along with BSA patches. But apparently, it can move from the Cub uniform to the Boy uniform just like AOL. If I come across the reference again, I'll post it.