I like the old leather belt with the two piece buckle but it is a pain to get through the belt loops.

The current web belt is okay but the quality of the buckle sucks. If you have a 60's vintage buckle compare it to the current one. The metal is heavier and the stamping is cleaner. I know that it is too much to expect the boys to learn the proper "metal on metal" way of wearing it but I wish the stupid parents would trim the end of the belt so their son doesn't have an extra 15" of webbing wrapped around his waist.

I like the web belts. I was raised in a household that used them all the time, so I am familiar with them and how they work. I often find it necessary to teach those "stupid parents" how to fit the belts to their kids, because they've never been exposed to this kind of belt. One lives and learns...

• 1 month later...

Yes, probably the only durable, sensible, utile part of the current scout uniform ensemble. Find the older buckle though to make it even better.

Teach the kids the proper way to wear it metal on metal. Just need to convince them the goal is proper uniform wear; not a fashion statement to have a tail hanging from the belt. Forget about teaching the parents.

The web belt is an okay item. The problem with any belt is that it has weight, cost money and serves only the purpose of holding up ones pants. For the military types they also get a bit of metal that they can polish (a fetish that drives me crazy).

However, I've modified by belt to be somewhat more useful. On the back side I turned it into a tape measurer. At the end that the buckle crimps into I've inserted a few sewing needles, and there is a fishhook duct taped on the backside of the buckle....

• 2 weeks later...

I like the belt because it is adjustable. However you do need to watch how much is trimmed off the tail. My hubby (formaer navy) trimmed our sons as a Wolf and he is now on the verge of outgrowing it. He is a Webelos now with just the buckle and we don't want to buy a whole new belt. Can't they just sell the belting seperate too?

momandscout

NO!!!!!!!!!!! I'm constantly figeting with it because the buckle won't hold. I don't know which looks worse: a leader walking around with an unlatched buckle or a leader constantly figeting to get the buckle tightened.

I washed it trying to get the webbing material "softened" up a bit, but that only shrunk the width so now the brass endcap catches on my belt loops. I'm about ready to toss it in the trash & wear a ladies' leather belt from Wal-Mart.

Where else could you have such a detailed discussion about the relative merits of the BSA web belt? Better than a roundtable...

If the cotton web belt drives 'ya nuts, try the BSA leather belt...you can even whack the thing with various dies and stain it so it's a personal statement, too.

Hey Le Voyageur, I've got a thick skin, but I gotta stick up for my "military type" brethren here! In the Air Force, we don't polish belt buckles (or much of anything else for that matter). But, the guys who do might consider sticking sewing needles into your belt buckle crimps more of a fetish than polishing it so it can be used as a signaling device! ;)

KS

KS

LOL -- Sorry for being too general with the phrase "military types". My experience has been USN/USMC. The rule in the Navy is, if it can't be painted, it's gotta be polished! What you AF guys do with bright work, I'm clueless....

As for the needles, besides their obvious use for sewing are useful for...

accupuncture - moxa can be made from a bit of the webbing if needed.

Clearing the touchhole of a flintlock

Made into darts using tuffs made from cattails, and blown through a length of river cane to take small game.

Double as awls

Can be magnatized and floated on water, and used as a crude compass.

Useful for suturing small wounds that need closing.

• 1 year later...

I like this belt. It is practical, adjustable, reasonably priced, durable, and lightweight.

Two pet peeves of mine are: that the buckle should be polished and worn with the edge of one end of the bucle aligned with the edge of the pants fly; and that the end with the brass end should protrude out of the buckle just the width of the brass tip - not wrapped around the waist over the belt. Any excess belt material should be passed through the buckle keeper and worn UNDER the belt out of sight.

All of this is just to make the belt look better when worn.

Although I usually wear a leather belt with a custom buckle (I am a buckle person!), I do sometimes wear the webb belt and buckle.