Chartered Organization Representative

1. Chartered organization representative is the only position that can also be in another position. What other positions can one hold and be a chartered rep?

2.How many Chartered Reps are required to be at the annual meeting to vote on the annual budget, etc.?

I have been a C.O.R. for 14 years. During that time, I have also held the position of Cubmaster, Den Leader, Webelos Leader, Pack Committee Chairman, Pack Committee Member, Asst. Scoutmaster, and Troop Committee Member.

1. Take your pick. Certainly, the C.O.R. sjould always be a Committee Member of the unit(s) the Sponsor is responsible for. Beyond that, your active role in the Units only enhances and benefits the Units directly.

2. If you are referring to the Scout Unit's budget, only one. Also, asfar as the Sponsor's budget is concerned regarding the Scouting Unit's portion of their budget, again, only one C.O.R. is needed to speak for the Unit. I am a C.O.R. for a United Methodist Church and my title to them is Scouting Co-ordinator, where again only one is required.

Hope this helps you.

It will be interesting to learn about what the COR is really suppposed to do. As committee chair in another unit in Southern California I assumed responsibility for the re chartering process and that is as close as our sponsor ever got. We had a dad who was a member of the church who took on that title, but he never did anything out of the ordinary in that capacity. There is no prohibition against volunteers wearing multiple hats, but the practice is to be discouraged.

Only recently has a sponsoring organization for a unit I have been involved with offered to do anything other than sign the charter application. Our units have been totally responsible for their own funds and own budgets. Our new COR is not a parent, but a member of the sponsoring organization and is actually coming to committee meetings. This is great!

When you mention "annual meeting," whose annual meeting are you talking about? The sponsor's or the unit's?

• 2 weeks later...

I am refering to the annual Council meeting where the budget, representatives to regional and national offices and the like are approved by the council governing body. I was under the impression that there were to be at least as many COR voting as members at large.