Tend to think that for backpacking, camos are great as they blend into the enviorment and reduces the visual impact of backcountry travelars. Just a variation of Low Impact/Leave no Trace as I see it. However for river running, I prefer my crews to be wearing very bright colors in red, orange or yellow....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with camping in camo would be if a scout does injure himself, his cammo may delay his being found OGE, we do indeed agree on some subjects. And youre right about this statement, but doesnt our own olive drab slacks and khaki shirt uniform blend in with background as well? Uniform v. camo is negligible to the objective presence of or troops.

OGE

Gotta use the buddy system...however, there is no such thing as a 100% safe program. At NOLS in their Wilderness Educator course we train in risk management, dividing risks into the objective and subjective, thus a scout is an objective risk...ie, he might get lost, or hurt, or just plain wander off for the sake of wandering off... therefore the buddy system, plus a whistle on everybody, and this includes the adults. Also, trying to locate a lost or injured person in the backcountry is a hard task no matter what they may be wearing. A few years back we had to locate a whole troop of lost girl scouts, and their leaders somewhere in 20,000 acres of wilderness, took nearly 8 hours of running a grid search section by section to find all 12 of them, and none were wearing camo's....

In my previous post, I said that our Venture Crew wanted to have camo pants, but our DE said that we could not. A few other scouters said not to give-up since Venturing can choose their own uniforms.

Well here is what I found out; it is illegal under Federal Law (Uniform Code of Military Justice).

If I ever came across a troop of scouts in the "wild" wearing class "A"s, it would be me you would have to find since I would have fainted dead away. Such scenes occur only in Norman Rockwell illustrations.

And you are right le Voy is promoting the buddy system, and I am sure in your troop all the 11 and 12 year olds.... as well as the 17-18 year olds always always do as they are told.

And is wearing camo illegal or is it illegal to have camo be a part of a "uniform" ?

Well here is what I found out; it is illegal under Federal Law (Uniform Code of Military Justice). Can you cite the section for this provision of the code? Id like to look it up. And is wearing camo illegal or is it illegal to have camo be a part of a "uniform" ? Thats my understanding, I thought its illegality has entirely to do with impersonating an officer or military personnel.

AARRRRGGGGHHHH

STOP IT

A scout will not be arrested for wearing CAMO, he may be asked to change or leave if someone in powerdislikes CAMO.

The BSA beleives that you should only wear the uniform period. CAMO and BLUE JEANS are looked upon as the same OUT OF UNIFORM.

Now you may ask, well you should before you jump, how does good old dan know this? I read the leader book. There is no info in the book about CAMO nor on the BSA site. If you could direct me to an offical site, which states Scouts will not wear CAMO, please do.

finding new excuses and rehashing all the old excuses for not wearing the uniformWithout rereading, this must mean you dont recognize the existence or acceptance of the so-called Class B uniform regardless of whether como is worn? Given that, and your noted aversion to this thread, perhaps we would be well served to start a new thread that discusses the legitimacy of a wearing a Class B uniform.