Merit Badge Sash

I don't know that there is a minumum. I know that when a certain boy in our troop earned his first merit badge, he couldn't wait to get a sash and wear it, like the other boys. It looked pretty bare, but he had an ear-to-ear smile.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you used to wear your first six badges on your right sleeve when the uniform was long sleeved. When you earned more you transferred them to a sash. Nowadays most of us are wearing short sleeved unforms and there really isn't room on the sleeve for six merit badges. As I understand it all merit badges go on the sash regardless of amount.

We don't buy long sleeve uniform shirts here in Georgia -- too hot.

A long time scouter told me there was a minimum of 5 merit badges for the sash. Can't find it in writing. Does anyone have the official Uniform and Insignia Guide?

I had time this morning to look it up. As it was mentioned before a maximum of six MB can be displayed on the right sleeve of the long sleeve uniform shirt in three rows of 2 MBs just above the cuff in position 4.

There is "no limit" to the number of badges that may be worn on the MB sash. I take NO LIMIT to mean no maximum and no minimum since neither is stated.

Bob(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Thanks Bob, I knew somebody would have the "official" word. With a lot of new scouts in the troop, I'm sure some are going to be VERY happy to wear that first Merit Badge or two.

Featherswilly --- email me at pat2363@bellsouth.net

I'm looking to buy a boys size 8 in the current style.