My son is a Webelos 1 (fourth grade.) He is about average size for a 10-and-a-half year old. He has been eligible to wear the tan shirt since September, but he was not in any great hurry, and so we decided to get as much use out of the blue shirt as possible before shelling out for the tan one. Another factor was, I figured that once he earned the Webelos badge, we could make sure he got the oval one, and go right from the blue shirt with the "diamond" of ranks to the tan shirt with the oval Webelos badge. That time has come. He received the Webelos badge on March 1, and buttoning the blue shirt has become a struggle.

So, yesterday I took my son out to buy the tan shirt. Now I need to know if I made a mistake on the size.

My wife told me that my son's correct current shirt size is a boys-14, but to look for a 16 so maybe he can wear it for a couple of years. So I look on the rack at the store, and they have Youth Large (14-16) and Youth Extra Large. He tried on the large and it was ok and only slightly big on him; the sleeves were a bit long but not ridiculous. I had a feeling though, that when we got home, my wife's reaction would be, "that will only fit him for a year, if that." Problem is, the Extra Large would literally be a tent on him. The bottom of the shirt went down to his knees, no exaggeration. The Extra Large was basically an Adult Small. So I bought the Large, and when we got home I got the reaction I thought I would get. But I felt I had no choice -- the Extra Large would have looked completely absurd.

It seems to me that there is an unusually big difference between the large and extra large youth shirts. I would have liked the shirt to at least last him for his remaining year as a Webelos and into his first year of Boy Scouts. That seems unlikely with the "large" shirt. Did I miss a secret in-between size somewhere?

Congratulations to your son NJCubScouter for reaching his new rank.

the only problem you ran into is that shirts come in specific sizes and boys don't. I am not sugesting that all larges in all shirts are the same size because they're not, It's just that at some moments in every boys development, nothing fits right.

I think you had the right strategy. Buy a little large without looking like you're wearing a tent.(and buy the short sleeve shirt not the long sleeve)

We bought our sons Boy Scout Uniform when he was a 2nd year Webelos, two days ago he turned 14 and the shirt still fits him. (he is at least 8 inches taller now then he was then).

His current shirt minus his patches will soon join the uniform pool at the troop. We hope it will help another scout out. We are also hopefull there will be shirt there that fits his new size as well.

But not all boys grow at the same rate. You roll the dice and you take your chances. I wonder if the next shirt will last him 3 1/2 years also?

Bob

BobWhite says:

Congratulations to your son NJCubScouter for reaching his new rank.

Thanks! And unlike a number of the other Webelos in our pack, he seems gung-ho about the idea of becoming a Boy Scout, which is good.

It's just that at some moments in every boys development, nothing fits right.

Yes, I guess intellectually I knew this, but I have been largely sheltered from the clothes-buying in my family. My wife generally has taken care of this, including uniform needs for our two older children (both Girl Scout dropouts.) The one exception to my wife being the clothes-shopper applies to Boy (Cub)Scout uniforms.

I was probably a sorry sight in this sporting goods store, staring goggle-eyed at these two shirts while attempting to get my son to stop doing impromptu science experiments with the fishing weights and come over to the Scouting racks and try the shirts on...

I think you had the right strategy. Buy a little large without looking like you're wearing a tent.(and buy the short sleeve shirt not the long sleeve)

Maybe half-right, I went with the long sleeve, that is what all the boys in the pack wear, though most of the leaders go for the short sleeve.

We bought our sons Boy Scout Uniform when he was a 2nd year Webelos, two days ago he turned 14 and the shirt still fits him. (he is at least 8 inches taller now then he was then).

That's encouraging -- maybe this new shirt and another after he starts growing fast will last him the duration if he goes that far. Though if he needs one more than that, there are a lot worse things to spend $28 on.

Now what I have to do, so I can spend MORE money, is to get him into a troop that wears the uniform pants. NOBODY in my pack wears them, adults or Cubs. I have thought of buying the pants for both of us anyway, but it will would not be uniform so I'm not sure what the point would be. This will, however, be on our checklist of things to look for in a troop. So if I continue as a leader into Scouting, that will be about $90 for two pairs of pants. Yikes! But worth it, in my opinion. A uniform pool is a good idea, I will talk with the other pack leaders about getting one going.

By the way, I thought it made more sense when the Boy Scout pants were the same color as the shirt, as they were "back in my day." But I guess there's little point in debating that at this point.

NJCubScouter,

Unless you've already sewn on patches, go back and get the short sleeve shirt. They will fit your son a lot longer.

Bob

PS.

Met with a patrol of New scouts tonight, along with their parents. The Troop Guide put on a display on how to prepare your gear for a campout. Afterward I talked to the parents about the scout uniform. All the Boys have the shirt and the belt already. I explained what the purpose of the uniform was and that we would like to have the boys in feull uniform by the next Court of honor in three months. I said if if anyone needed financial help that it was available and they could speak confidentially to the troop Chaplain. Everyone said that it was no problem . then i bought out the uniform pool and three of the eight boys found pants that fit. No threats no demands, no complaints.

It really is that easy.

Attitude is Everything

Bob White

My son is very small for his age. He's 10 3/4 years old, 60 pounds (maybe), and about 52 inches tall. His brown Scout shirt is a medium -- size 10/12. It is larger than the blue Cub Scout medium also 10/12.

Living in the south, we only wear short sleeves shirts. The Scout Shop will sell you a long sleeve one but only after talking to you about are you willing to buy 2 shirts the same size. If it is cold, everyone puts a long sleeve t-shirt underneath their Scout Shirt.

My son crossed over last night!!!!!!!

I gave him a box with everything he needed in it. He didn't need a new shirt. The pack gave him the handbook. I gave him the merit badge sash, new shoulder loops, new unit number, socks, belt and a pair of shorts. I wasn't sure what he was going to think since the troop he is joining doesn't require the official pants at most functions. But he was excited! The belt really did wrap around him twice! I'm hoping those shorts shrink a little in the wash, and I have some time to fatten him up before he really needs them for summer camp. Hopefully I can get him to wear the complete uniform while he's still young enough to not care about fashion.

sctmom, my son is at the other end of the spectrum...he is 11 and 5'11", 220 lbs, size 12 feet! And he hasn't even had that growth spurt yet that comes with puberty. He has been in adult sizes for some time now. I know this is off topic, but we have run into problems with other scouts treating him like he is older than he is and expecting more of him. I am grateful that shirt sizes do go pretty big because we will need them!

MomScouter, I understand where you are coming from. A couple of boys from our pack are almost that big at 11. They had a hard time wearing the Tiger shirt, they had a hard time wearing the Blue Cub Shirts. I bet the Boy Scout pants will be too tightly cut on them and the shorts way too short. The brag vest doesn't seem to come in a large enough size.

I know they get treated differently, people will say "why does that boy act so childish?". Well, he's a CHILD!

While I'm washing new uniform parts this week hoping they shrink, some of the moms are washing them carefully so they DON'T shrink. A couple of the 11 year olds are comfortably wearing the largest size troop t-shirt available. Not a lot of room in it for them to grow. Versus my son, who tried on a new pair of fleece pants I bought him and said "wow, these are so big I could put the cat in here with me." LOL

If you are debating between the 14-16 Large Youth shirt and the Extra-Large youth size, then I've got a suggestion for you. The very experienced,wise lady at our scout shop recommends you purchase him an Adult Small instead. She explained that the Adult Small is cut much narrower than the Youth Extra-Large and really fits normal to slim boys better. She only recommends the Extra-Large Youth for Husky (full-figured) fellas. Put the shirts together side to side and you will see what she means, neck, waist shoulders, etc. are smaller on Adult Small than on the Youth Extra Large.