Uniform requirements depend on the various Scout camps and the troops themselves. It's been my experience (NCAC and Delmarva) that camps typically require Class A's for the opening ceremony (beginning of camp week), closing ceremony (campfire at the end of the week), and meals at dining halls. Otherwise, the so-called "Class B's" (Scout shorts, and a Scout T-Shirt) are acceptable for camp. This has been my experience. It may not be true for the camp that you plan to attend.

To your last question, the answer is No. Any Scout hat is acceptable with a Class A uniform. Some troops have their own troop and/or patrol hats custom made. Some folks chose to wear a BSA camp hat. I have even seen NFL football team caps used by patrols as their official hat (i.e., Panthers, Ravens).

Hi netscouter,

I hope you have a great time at camp.

As rooster7 said it varies by camp. most camps I have been to request that scouts and scouters wear the uniform to meals and ceremonies. Check with your summer camp for their traditions.

Allow me to clarify something though on hats. For youth to be in full uniform (according to the BSA insignia guide) they can wear no hat or the offial uniform hat. I realize that rooster7's opinion is common but it is not the actual uniform policy of the BSA program.

Also be aware that "class A" means different things to different units. The BSA does not recognize the terms Class A, Class B etc. You are either in uniform (Official shirt, pants or shorts, belt, socks) OR you are out of uniform. There is no inbetween. that's not to say that there aren't perfectly appropriate times to be out of uniform, because there is. But you are not in a class B you are simply NOT in uniform.

Bob

Our troop requires complete summer uniforms for all campwide activities (Opening, closing, OA ceremonies, etc.)> Our camp is a Patrol Cooking camp, so we also require full uniforms for breakfast and dinner. Lunch can be Class B's.

And of course, complte uniforms for traveling.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Having just read the SPL's handbook (great read btw), I encountered the uniforming section on page 32, after which it became apparent that a troop hat is acceptable wear, per BSA uniforming regs

"The Scout Uniform can be a source of pride and spirit. Many Troops have a special neckerchief worn by members, or a hat of a certain color or style. A troop's activity uniform may include a T-shirt emblazoned with the troop's emblem or some other signifigant reminder of the troop's identity."

Venturer2002,

You are correct, My original post in this string was made before the new SPL book was released in our council, and was based on the information in the lates Insignia Guide manual.

The NEW Spl Handbook does indeed have new info on what hats and shirts can be worn with official pants orshorts, official beltand official socks and still be "in Uniform".

Another example that we are a "movement" not an 'organization". :)

Bob White

Fscouter

Yes, at summer camp I saw a troop that wore the campaign hat.

It was not a good look.

The other leaders and I agreed that there was no way the boys selected that hat!

One

I saw a troop at the west point invitational camporee with campaign hats and thought they looked sharp, however, campaign hats and back packs do not work well together, and the backpack normally wins by shoving the campaign hat off the wearer

Two

Bob, which is it? In my post on uniforms for summer camp, you went ot great lengths to tell that any scout hat is correct and now you are contradicting yourself. I was right that the official BSA hat or no hat are the correct uniform policies.

To follow up on the neckerchief issue also, if it is theplc policy to wear the troop neckerchief, then it should be followed.

If we are to go the other way and wear whatever neckerchief we feel is right, then that argument means that I as a leader can have my own neckerchief one that could say "I am always right" or "I am God's gift to scouting" or how about "only I know the program and I am always right"

and last but not least, my favorite "Treat me like the demagogue that I am!"

As I explained in the earlier post jbroganjr, since the time of my original post the BSA changed some uniforming guidelines as eveidenced in the NEW Senior Patrol Leader Handbook. It's not that I changed, Scouting changed and I was representing the scouting method not any personal opinion.

The SPL handbook has info that will be included in the updates of the other manuals as they are published.

The BSA now recognizes troop shirts, summercamp shirts and troop hats, as being "in uniform" WHEN WORN WITH official pants or shorts, belt, and socks.

There is still no such thing as Class Bs. You are either in uniform or not in uniform. But the choices for an activity uniform have expanded.

Hope this clarifies things,

Bob White

So an official uniform is composed, as to hats and neckerchiefs, as either an official BSA hat, no hat or a troop hat. If so, my original assertation that wearing a philmont trading post hat does not constitute an official garb would be correct.