Neckerchiefs for Adults

Although we adults should not be excessive in showing off our own accomplishments, my opinion is that when we are with our troop at a multi troop function, that is the time to make sure we are all wearing the same neckerchief.

At award ceremonies within the unit (troop, pack, crew), it seems that is the time to wear "your finest", your awards, so that the youth will see that you are working toward bettering yourself as well.

In regular troop meetings, is were we (adults) wear something differant than the boys. If it is a pack meeting, I wear the appropriate bolo or neckerchief to my position that I am representing. If a troop meeting, I may only wear my beads, and occasionally no neck wear at all. The boys notice a lot, and are glad to see their leaders recognized for all the effort we put in.

When I am not representing my pack or troop is when I wear my Wood Badge material, or the universal bolo.

I have saved the ties for last. As one person pointed out, any "official" uniform part is still valid, regardless of date, but the balance of the uniform must also match. That is, if a tie was for the green uniforms, then it should not be worn with the tans.

A number of ties have been printed (made) with scout emblems on them. However, in the catalog most of these say "for civilian wear only". The only current traditional tie is black (from the picture). I might wear 0ne for more formal or district occaisions, however the ones I saw in the catalog are just too short! A standard tie stops midway from my navel to my sternum (I am 6'6")

As for the neckerchief in or out, remember that it is a boy run organization.

Paul Johnson

Chair, T-4013

Cubmaster, P-17

District committee member

So as I read it...

The green tie is still acceptable since it was authorised as part of the tan,adult uniform.

I agree That the Oath and Law ties are nice but I leave them for daily wear to pique interest in scouting. (My son wears his to school!)

We might hear again from those who have the green tie available for trade...

I was happy to see that people have mentioned the green tie. What's up with its disappearance, anyway? Still have mine and I always thought it looked nice for more formal occassions such as Scout Sunday, Courts of Honor, Awards ceremonies and such. For less formal occassions I prefer the bolo tie, but wear the neckerchief when wanting to blend in with the troop. The only problem I have with the neckerchief it that it is too short.

• 2 months later...

Lead by example, if you require your boys to wear the neckerchief, you should be willing to do so. "Do as I say not as I do" won't work with the kids today. As for special neckerchiefs, if they represent a special achievement; Eagle, woodbadge, etc. why not wear them?

Keyword: UNIFORM(This message has been edited by SmT206)

As per Bob White's comments about wearing the neckerchief "in" or "out", it really doesn't matter but a Troop or Pack should all wear the uniform uniformly. That is either all wear it under the collar or all over the collar.

If y'all had neckerchiefs as fine as ours, there'd be no need for this thread. :) We have a special embroidered patch sewn on ours with our name and a swimming manatee (our claim to fame) on it. New scouts get a plain teal neckerchief until they reach Boy Scout rank, whereupon they are presented with the unique one. It is a much-sought-after part of the uniform, for both boys and adults.

In the Headquarters Gazette (Leaders' magazine 1923) Baden Powell said, "The Gilwell scarf does not entitle you to consider yourself as a thing apart. Your Troop or District must as much as ever command your first allegiance. (As the outward sign of this, indeed, the Troop scarf and not the Gilwell scarf should be worn when working with your Troop."

Wonderful little book - "Footsteps of the Founder - The Baden-Powell Quotations Book" by Mario Sica --can be purchased through BSA.

• 2 months later...

I wear neckerchiefs all the time, I have my Troop Neckerchief which I wear for troop events. My Green Wood Badge Training Neckerchief (yes, Green, i'm SR-420 - Last Course Old Syllabus) which will hopefully be exchanged in February :) and I have a special older neckerchief that I wear for special occasions where neither troop or Wood Badge is appropriate. I've never heard any rule against this, and I see no reason that we should'nt wear it while the boys do.

I love my neckerchiefs! I use them to promote the various activities in which I'm involved. Two or three blanks and a needle and thread have allowed me to whip up interest & conversation from pack or troop meetings to merit badge colleges to dinner at Philmont.

I would note that I try wear an appropriate neckerchief. When honoring advancement blend in with the boys or other leaders; but when promoting camp let the others ask where the Neckerchief came from (or at least where they could get the patch I'd sew on it!)

As a commissioner, I encourage the unit scouters I come in contact with to wear the troop scarf when with the troop and the wood badge scarf outside the troop.

Pack leader, I encourage to wear the scarf of their position, Tiger, Cub Scout, Webelos, or Cub Scouter scarf. Wood Badge outside the unit.

As a commissioner with no unit affiliation, I wear my Distingished Commmissioner bolo tie most of the time, an Eagle Scout neckerchief for an Eagle COH, or no neck gear the rest of the time.

• 1 year later...

The Insignia Guide addresses neckerchiefs.

It addresses what leaders wear on page 6 -7.

Basically is says that Cub leaders MAY wear the Cub leaders neckerchief and Webelos leaders wear the Webelos leaders neckerchief. Note that one says "may" and the other says "wears"

In Boy Scout units neckerchiefs are optional but if adopted by vote, ALL members adide by the decision.

It also goes on to say that local councils may prescribe which neckerchief is to be worn on a council or district basis. I guess that means that the local council can REQUIRE Boy Scout units to not only the wear of a neckerchief but which one to wear.

But the uniform inspection sheets seem to indicate that neckerchiefs are optional for male adult leaders with the short sleeve shirt and totally optional for female leaders.

Wood Badge trained Scouts can wear the Wood Badge neckerchief with woggle and beads or the beads alone on the official shirt. The way I read the requirements, the Wood Badge woggle and beads cannot be worn with a unit neckerchief, only the WB neckerchieg. Sometimes I wear our Troop neckerchief and when I do I do not wear my WB beads or woggle because th guide is clear on the matter.

For Boy Scouts, the official shirt collar is worn open if no neckerchief is worn.

Our Boy Scout troop adopted a neckerchief about 10 months ago. It is a standard official neckerchief and they have the option to wear the official slide, a handmade slide, or tie the tails in a knot. They made the wear optional except for Scoutmaster Conferences, Boards of Review, Courts of Honor, occasions of ceremony, and when prescribed by the Senior Patrol Leader such as staffing events, visiting other units, etc.

Bob,

On what do you base your comment about Wood Badge beads?

The Insignia Guide page 28 states:

"Wood Badge slight or woggle, No. 02173, trained Scouter, with Wood Badge neckerchief; necklace with two beads, No. 02175l three beads, No. 02176; four beads, No. 02177; under the Wood Badge neckerchief, and over the ends and below the woggle, with the official uniform...."

Then at the end of that section there is the following sentence: " Wood Badge beads may be worn with a neckerchief as stated above or alone."

I believe that last sentence means with the Wood Badge neckerchief because it says "as indicated", rather than with any neckerchief.

Also the first part of the section says "With Wood Badge neckerchief".

I don't think the intent of that last statement is to allow wearing of Wood Badge beads with any neckerchief. But I could be wrong. Perhaps there is another reference about this?

During my beading ceremony, I remember the significance and proper wear of each part of the regalia was explained. I was instructed then that the beads could be worn alone, with the WB neckerchief and woggle, or with another nekerchief. But that the WB neckerchief was only worn with the leather woggle, and beads. And that the leather woggle was only worn with the full regalia. Also that the regalia were only worn with Class A uniform. No beads with t-shirts, polo shirts, etc.