Neckerchiefs for Adults

I've been told at times that adult scouters aren't supposed to wear neckerchiefs, but at a recent Scout Sunday, I couldn't help but feel somewhat underdressed with such a naked neck.

So what's the actual word on this? Can an adult wear a troop neckerchief?

What about the Eagle or NESA neckerchiefs? Would these be appropriate for an adult Scouter to wear at formal activities (Courts of Honor, Scout Sundays, etc,) or are they like the Eagle badge, and only allowed for youth Eagles?

The Scoutmaster's Handbook and the insignia guide seem a little sparse on this issue, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am not aware of any restriciton about an adult wearing a neckerchief, at the naiotnal jamboree all adult leaders were expected to wear our neckerchiefs at the shows.

You may try a few acceptable alternatives such as a scout tie, I have a red one with the fleur de lis and the scout law on it. Or perhaps a bolo or weatern style string tie, lots of very alternatives avaiblible check your scout store or catolog

In Cub Scouts there are neckerchiefs for Tiger Den Leaders, Cub Scout Leaders and Webelos Den Leaders.

At the completion of all the Wood Badge requirements, the Scouter is presented a special neckerchief, as weel as the bead necklace.

In Commissioner service, the Distingushed Commissioner award is accompied with a bolo tie.

The insigna guide gives instruction on how to wear a neck medal with a neckerchief, such as the Cub Scout program leader awards, The Silver Beaver Award.

I've worn my troops neckerchief from day one in the troop (in fact, my neckerchief is the only uniform part I have grown out of, lost, traded, burned a hole in, etc.) I think the neckerchief is the one piece of the uniform that both separates the troop and unifies it as one. When at troop functions, I believe it is important for the adults to be wearing the same neckerchief as the Scouts. A couple of years ago, our former SM suggested that I wear my Eagle neckerchief so I could show the kids I got my Eagle (he wore his Wood Badge one when he wore a neckerchief). I told him that when at troop events, I'm not there to promote myself, but to promote the troop. He agreed with me and even switched to the troop neckerchief.

I must say it is quite impressive to see an entire troop correctly wearing the same troop neckerchief.

Robin,

The woggle is only worn with the Wood Badge neckerchief. The beads may be worn whenever you wear the official uniform shirt. the Wood Badge neckerchief is normally only worn during training events, Wood Badge events, or formal occasions. Check with your course director however as local traditions vary.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As a Cubmaster, I have worn a bolo tie with a Cub emblem slide or a blue with gold trim Cub Leader neckerchief at Pack meetings. I have also worn nothing around my neck at the Pack meetings. Having recently completed Wood Badge for the 21st Century training and working on my ticket, I now wear a McLaren plaid Troop 1 neckerchief at Pack meetings, Roundtable, and other formal events. Once I am awarded the beads, I will wear the buff colored Wood Badge neckerchief and woggle with the beads at similar events.

Leading by example would suggest that you wear any appropriate neckerchief at these non-field events.

According to the Insignia Guide adults can wear neckerchiefs, Bolos, Woodbadge Beads or no neck wear. The green neck tie is no longer a current uniform piece with the dress uniform, and is no longer for sale.

The insignia guide also has the regulations for correct uniforming when wearing a neckerchief. You have 2 collar options. 1) You can roll the collar into the shirt and wear the neckerchief on top, or 2) you can wear the collar on the outside on top of the neckerchief. The neckerchief should not be worn on the top of an exposed collar. The top button of the uniform shirt should always be unbuttoned.

The Wood Badge neckerchief and woggle, have their own guidelines for appropriate wear and can be found in the course syllabus and the participant manual.

bob

It has always been my understanding that there are no general restrictions on adults wearing neckerchiefs. Most adult leaders I know wear the same neckerchief as worn by the scouts in their units. As noted above, wearing no neckerchief is acceptable, but not required.

Bob White,

Just a point of clarification if you would. Even though the green tie is no longer sold, aren't all old official uniform items still authorized? My understanding was that once an item become part of the official uniform that item could always be worn.

Thanks

Weekender

Bob,

I have always had my top button fastened while wearing a neckercheif. Is this incorrect? Even as a scout, I believed that it made the uniform look better. When I wear nothing around my neck, it is unbuttoned. Also when I wear the Bolo.

Tim Dyer

Pack 56