How Do You Figure Out Hat Size?

As the title says, I can't figure out how to figure out what my hat size is. I'm looking to buy an old field cap on Ebay and don't want to make the mistake of ordering the wrong size. I've got a beret from when I was a youth that still fits, but I can't read the tag with the size in it anymore.

If I could ask the BSA to do anything with uniforming (other than make it more cost efficient), I'd want them to bring back the field cap (my original troop I was in for a few months wore those and it looked really sharp with 20 guys wearing them) and the beret (I always wanted my troop to switch to that but they never would).

I could be dead wrong on this, but it has always been my understanding that hat sizes are based on the circumference on one's head. Somewhere somebody knows how inches of circumference translate into sizes. I do not know. Start by taking a cloth measuring tape and have somebody run it around your head.

Don't hat sizes run in the 7-9 range? I must have a fat head.

The old Sears catalog used to have several pages in the center of the book that described "How to Measure". Maybe some other men's catalog would have instructions.

The Mrs. tells me that I should never consider a new hat when the activites of the previous 24 hours have put me in the spotlight, or granted me some new award or success. She figures that I should let the swelled head regain it's normal size before comtemplating the hat.

Of course....I've never tested her theory....

From http://www.shushans.com/sixthpage.html

Measuring Instructions:

If you have not purchased a new hat recently or do not know your hat size, measure your head. Sizes vary with hair styles,age, weight gain and loss. Use a tapemeasure to determine the circumference of your head to the nearest 1/8 of an inch by measuring across the widest part of the head, above the eyebrows and ears. Use the Sizing Chart to convert this measurement in inches to a hat size.

(see the web page referenced above for the sizing chart)

Good luck!