Badge of Office

Need some suggestions here. Our troop changes SPL and all PL position every 6 months. But many of the scouts never remove the badge of office from their shirts after they are no longer SPL or ASPL, etc. I personally think it is disrespectful to the scout who is crrently holding that leadership position, but I've heard excuses ranging from, "Oh, I keep it on my shirt 'cause I'll probably be SPL again next term" to "we used some fabric glue behind the stitching and it will show a big glue mark if I take it off" to "I might rip the shirt trying to take off the stitches."

I would really like to see these rank badges replaced with some cords similiar to the Den Chief cords, so that when the term is ended, the cords are passed to the new leader (ala Miss America's crown). I think cords would be much more visible and in our troop, eliminate this problem.

In the meantime, any suggestions? How is this handled in your troops?

Having suffered from the same kind of thing at one time, we opted to work the removal of the old patch into the ceremony for change of command. Just before the new SPL was presented with his patch, and to the troop, the Junior Assistant Scoutmaster would, in full view of the audience, and very respectfully, oh, and very carefully, remove the patch from the old SPL's sleeve with a pair of scissors. The outgoing SPL would then be presented with his old patch, and the thanks of the troop for a job well done.

Once the Scout has completed the tenure for the position of responsibility & another Scout is elected to that position, the patch comes off. If it is sewed on correctly, it is very easy to get off. I don't like using velcro. It doesn't always hold & still must be sewn to the patch.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1