uniforms in public

Backpacking in many regions of the country for the last 7 years I have noticed that Scouts rarely wear uniforms on outings. Troops in this day and time need to be represented in the backcountry and in other public places more than ever. From experience, backpackers and many outdoorsmen are honored to share the trail and campsites with scouts, but likewise avoid sites that have become high school hangouts for trail trashers. Although new to the scouting world, I do understand the issues regarding uniform quality and cost, which is also multiplied by Scouts annually outgrowing their clothing. As leaders we should demand that this issue be a primary concern and addressed. I guess Im demanding the impossible, best quality available (high-tech and functional) for the best price. So give me some feedback on this issue.

Finally, I have heard the argument that Scouts should not be recognizable in public places because of current political issues. My response is that BSA is truly a difference making organization, which is respected and treasured throughout the community no matter what the modern news media may have us think. And as a Christian organization should we be surprised when we are persecuted for what we believe?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trekker,

You said:

And as a Christian organization should we be surprised when we are persecuted for what we believe?

I am a believer and follower of Christ. However, BSA is not a Christian organization. They welcome all religions that show love and respect for God, but they stake no claim to any particular belief. One might claim, "BSA is dominated by Christians", but it cannot be said that BSA is a Christian organization per se.

I don't know of anybody who wears class A uniforms on the trail. I think there is good reason to wear class A enroute to and from outings, and I intend to start enforcing more of that. At a recent training event, a scouter whose views are quite sound observed that he thought that he and the boys received more respect from the public when they were traveling in uniform.

It is too bad that BSA does not have good uniforming short of class A, but I doubt that they will ever get there and be competitive on price and quality.

There are other ways to distinguish scouts from ordinary campers in the back country. One way is to carry a small american flag, make a small flag pole out something (low impact of course), and fly a flag at the camp site. Another way is have "scouts own" at appropriate times and places. I am not a particularly religious person, but we do scouts own on my outings. A little prayer can't hurt, and might help. But I digress... In the climate that has arisen since 9-11, I suspect such scouts would be truly admired and not mocked.

My son's scout troop never wears their Class A uniform on hikes/weekend camping. However, the scoutmaster does ask each boy to wear their class B uniform (specific T-shirt with Troop logo and ANY pants). I have seen other troops do this also and the troop does stand out. Therefore, it is easily recognized as a boy scout troop (at least once close enough to read the logos).

Our troop generally travels in Class As, especially if they will be stopping for a meal in a public place along the way. While at the campsite, they generally wear Class B, which for us is our troop t-shirt (with our troop number and charter organization) and the pants/shorts of their choice. Of course, during summer camp or some other official gathering, such as camporee, Class As are required more frequently. Also, being from Michigan, there are many campouts where it doesn't matter what shirt you wear, because it is covered with a sweatshirt or jacket. It is not uncommon for the guys to be camping in snow or near freezing temperatures from November through April.

Our Troop always travels in Class A to and from hiking/camping activities, with a Troop Class B required thereafter. We also have sweatshirts in the same Class B style for mild weather. In winter, when outerwear covers all,I encourage the boys to wear their Scout hats in the woods when the usually-mild Mid Atlantic weather permits, providing easy recognition.

When pressed for a rational explanation for uniforms in public, I explain that it is the 2nd best way to let people know we are Scouts. When asked, inevitably, what the best way is, I say that our actions/conduct will speak much louder than our words, or our clothing, ever could. A little pompuous, maybe, but a good thought.

Our Troop has a policy of traveling in Class A's and we

try to maintain a liberal Class B around camp. I'm convinced that uniforming makes a difference in the way that our boys

are treated in public. Also reminds the Scouts that they're working under a slightly different set of guidelines than their peers, amd that they should be proud to stand out.

If your Scouts should ever happen to see a professional or college ball team traveling together they'll understand immediately.

We spent the extra money for coolmax T-shirts and synthetic thermal tops with the Troop Number on them. We are looking for nylon convertable hiking pants that come close to the Boy Scout Green. We teach our Scouts not to wear cotton clothing and then have official scout pants and shorts that are cotton. We are proud to be Boy Scouts and wear our uniforms whenever possible.

REI is not cheap, but at least you likely get quality. Our local store grants 10% to scouting units and maintains a list of authorized buyers. This is in lieu of the normal 10% patronage dividend that members of the coop receive. You cannot get both the discount and the dividend.

How do i become a senior member??

I think once you are wearing a neckerchief you are recognisable as a scout which should suffice for activity wear and then of course have unoform for those special occasions where you want to sow off who you are and what you have achieved

Martha

Melbourne

G'day Martha,

Nice to have you aboard.

The best we can figure out, you become a member then senior member based on number of postings you make. How many that is, I am not sure anyone knows. However, whether you are new, a member or a senior member, your opinion is always welcomed.

BTW, could you let me know where to get vegemite? I just ran out...

• 1 month later...

Our Scout Troop, which does a great deal of high adventure, does not use the Scout Uniform on any outing, as they are completely unsuitable for anything other than meeting in a room. The pants are expensive, not durable, and made of cotton which is useful only in the heat. The shirt (also more expensive than they are worth), while polyester, while it will pass moisture to outer garmets is too beribboned to be useful and too fragile to be used on a trip. So we don't.

We are beginning to use zip T-neck long underwear shirts with a logo on them and the Troop number on the collar. (Check these out on the Sierra Trading Post or Campmore web pages.) These do work well in the outdoors for nearly everything. These shirts are actually useful as they are designed as high performance outdoors wear, not something to wear only to meetings. As for pants, we use gore tex pants when skiing or mountaineering, rafting shorts when rafting, and durable pants for climbing. Additionally, all are much cheaper than the usual uniform as well as being useful in the outdoors and, they can classify as Type B's. (With the exception of the pants). One of the real draws of BSA for kids is that we do outdoors activities! Why have an "inside uniform" at all?? My opinion is that until the BSA sets up a really useful uniform for outdoors, we will just make up a Troop one and be done with it.

What ever happened to those outdoor uniforms of 40 years ago. I used to have a collarless mesh cotton shirt that was second to none in hot weather and had a nice outdoor color to it rather than the 'brownshirt' looking uniforms of today (which were apparently designed by Italians of all people!).