uniforms in public

I've got two things to say in regards to wearing the complete uniform:

1. It needs to be done correctly. We've had Scouts that wear the uniform, but wear it very sloppily. They complain that they look like dorks with the uniform on. I just tell them that if they wear it like that, they do look like a dork. However, if they tuck in their shirts, iron the uniform on occasion, roll the neckerchief correctly, wear the shine the belt buckle and wear it brass on brass, and wear the hat correctly, then they look really sharp.

2. I've been Scoutmaster for almost a year now and I've put a lot of emphasis on correct uniforming. The Scouts are starting to respond and I can tell you that the difference in attitude is incredible. The meetings where the Scouts are correctly uniformed, we have fewer discipline problems, energy levels are better, and there is a much greater sense of pride.

Give my troop a couple more years, and I think we'll actually look good enough to go in Scouting Magazine (joke).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right korea scouter that we agree more than disagree. Uniform is however controlled by national policy because the uniform is a registered trademark of the BSA.

National is not about to send out uniform police to make our members toe the line. they rely on our trustworthyness as scouts and scouters to keep the promise we agreed to when we signed our registration applications. Every adult and Chartered organization signed a contract with the BSA to follow the policies and programs as set forth by the BSA. It is unfortunate that so many adults fail to keep the promise.

When you think about it, none of the methods of scouting are required at registration. We rely on the character of our volunteers to employ the methods of scouting in order to provide a quality program to our communities. If we were to make something mandatory at registration it should be adult training, however the BSA's unique charter with congress makes that impossible. we must work through the Chartered Organizations that use scouting to reach the youth. Every Chartered organization signed a pledge to use the BSA program and adhere to their policies and regulations. It is there resdponsibility to see that the leaders they select have the character to abide by those rules.

It is unfortunate that there are leaders who use some of our program elements while wearing some of our uniform and then complain because they don't think the program is achieving what it should or the boys don't behave the way they shopud or National does things oddly.

OK what about the cost of uniforming? My scout hat is off to Sctmom. She has hit it on the head. The uniform is a great value when compared to other youth activities, especially those of shorter duration and less program time.

As far as the design... the pants pockets are evidently designed to look at and not use (this drives me crazy at times. However if the price of the this outstanding program is porrly designed pockets then that is a price i will gladly pay.

Congrats to Chippewa29. That is a winning scout attitude. I look forward to seeing you in Scouting and Boys Life.

I've enjoyed our discussion KoreaScouter. it's obvious that we agree on wanting to do a quality program and that uniforming is part of it. i hope you will encourage others iin you are to get trained. We made a promise to the program and too the youth we serve to offer a true scoutiing experience not just an experience in a scout shirt. LET'S KEEP THE PROMISE.

Best wishes for successful scouting

I didn't start out in this several years ago as a full uniform guy. Why not? Because nobody else on the committee or district events where we lived at the time stressed it. I'm a full convert now, though, having seen what a difference it's made in my son and myself, and you know precisely what I'm talking about.

Bob, I'd invite you to take another look at the joining requirements and the 8 methods, particularly the "Ideals". The Scout Oath and Law are joining requirements, and are included in the "Ideals" method. They oughta be, and so should having a uniform to put the Scout badge on when you complete the joining requirements and earn it.

We all agree the uniform is an important Method of Scouting; why isn't owning one a joining requirement? Simple question that makes me scratch my head...

Having a uniform is not a "joining" requirement because BSA does not want to preclude less prosperous families from joining BSA.

The cost of the uniform often comes up along with comments like I cant afford that. Usually right after that I see multi-buck designer sneakers on the kids feet or they wear designer jeans/khakis, and the local NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL jersey of choice.

But to include all boys, I can see why BSA doesnt make you have a uniform to join. However once in the troop, the boy should strive to obtain a uniform.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the joining requirements. Those items can't all be completed in a day, and most can't really be done until the boy is registered, has been in the Handbook for a while, and coming to troop meetings. So, there's a period of time, up to a month or so, between when a boy comes in with his parent, fills out a registration form, and starts participating in troop activities, and the time when he completes all the joining requirements. It's during that period that the new Scout can get his uniform.

I'm not implying that he'd have to have a full uniform to walk in the door the first time. Sorry if I gave that impression.

If'we're not willing to require a uniform, we really have no grounds for complaint if our Scouts aren't uniformed...

I just had a discussion with my Troop about their dress for Scout Sunday. We are not holding our Scout Sunday until 2/24/2002 due to conflicts.

In my Troop, I require the adult leadership to be in full uniform (shirt, pants, neckerchief, slide) for formal events like Scout Sunday. I require my Scouts to be in their Scout shirt (with patches correctly sewn on), nice pants (no blue jeans, sweat pants, tearaway pants, athletic pants), nice shoes(no athletic shoes, no sandels)and socks are a must. This isn't a problem & I will not let a Scout participate if he isn't dressed properly.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

How many of your Scouts consistantly wear their uniform (not half a uniform) to meetings and functions like Scout Sunday? Is this half a uniform a Troop policy? Our Troop wears the uniform, and no partials. I can't see a baseball player in half a uniform. I can't see a football player in half a uniform. I can't see a police officer in half a uniform. Well, you get the idea.I respect your Troop's decision, I just don't agree with it. The Troop's program is "top" priority, but the full, complete, uniform is part of that program. Do you not require a uniform (complete) at you Courts of Honor? How can half a uniform be "dressed properly?"

sst3rd

sst3rd,

For Troop meetings, I require they Scouts wear their Troop 1 shirts (shirts we had made). For Courts of Honor, Eagle Courts of Honor, Scouts Sunday, Scoutmaster Conferences, Boards of Review, etc., I require a full uniform. My Troop doesn't require Scout pants for full uniform but the pants must be other than blue jeans.

I would say 95% of my Troop shows up to Troop meetings & special events properly dressed. I always wear my full uniform (pants included) to all Scout functions.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

That's a good combination. Sounds logical. We have our Scouts bring their uniforms to the meetings. Their planned pre opening activities are usually outdoor games, so we don't want them to mess up their uniforms. When they come in the Scout building, they change to their uniforms for the rest of the meeting (this arrangement was created by the Scouts years ago). We've been trying to create our own Troop T-shirts, is that what you've got? How did you create the design? Ideas??

sst3rd

One of my pet peeves as a Scoutmaster is that each year the Scout Shops, thru National Council runs a special sale in September for Cub Scout uniforms, offering subtantially reduced prices for buying as complete uniform. They never make the same offer on the Boy scout level. Our folks could use the break too.