I need to know if there is a standard for patch location on the uniform. I have the den, pack, bobcat and bear patches on already but would like to know were patches like the regatta and olympics patch go, just to name a few.

Thanks for you help

Patches from events like the regatta or pinewood derby or campouts can only be worn on the right pocket of the Cub Scout or Webelos uniform as a temporary patch. You can only wear one at a time. BSA sells a red felt vest that temporary patches can easily been sewn to. The vest can then be worn over the uniform but it is not "official" uniform attire.

To save sewing (and removing) the temporary patches all the time, I suggest the plastic patch holders, available through your local Scout gear store or Council service center. They cost between $0.50 and a dollar and are available in different sizes to accomodate the varying patches.

As a general principle patches for special events or activities, including summer camp, are referred to as "temporary insignia" and there is only one place to wear them on a uniform shirt. That place is the right breast pocket and this is true for cub scouts, boy scouts, and (I believe) all others. For cub scouts the best bet, as suggested, is a patch vest. For boy scouts, the best place is the back side of the merit badge sash. Adults also use jackets to put these on. Strictly speaking, excess patches are not to be worn on the wool "shirt jac" that many of us own. Only one large patch, such as for OA, a jamboree, a fifty miler, or some such is to be worn in the back center of such an item. There is a published "insignia guide" that has all the rules. It should be available at your scout service center.

Wear temporary patches on the back of a uniform sash? I understood that was not acceptable. Only merit badge were to be worn on a merit badge sash. I know speical event patches are routinely worn on the back of Girl Scout sashes, but not on a Boy Scout sash. Can someone clarify that please.

Rooster7's posts almost always appear twice. It is a mystery to everybody, including Rooster7. Repetition of an idea is a valid rhetorical device.

Concerning wearing temporary insignia on a merit badge sash, I believe this is addressed in the Insignia Guide to which I referred earlier.

Rooster is just an active Scouter. (the best kind)

You are probably right Eisely, but my opinion is that it looks horrible. There are no other patches worn on the back of the uniform. Why then have any? It seems very unbalanced and awkward.

In our area it is the trend to not wear anything but merit badges on the sash.

I believe that temporary patches (like camporee and jamboree patches) can also be worn above the right pocket.

Hey Mike,

I am going into new territory here, but I think the area on the shirt above the right pocket is reserved for jamboree patches.

Concerning the merit badge sash, it is all a matter of taste.

What is the point of these patches if one has no place to wear them? I would rather see them on a merit badge sash than plastered all over shirts inappropriately. When I was a scout at the national OA gathering at Lawrence Kansas so many years ago, I remember seeing one scouter who had so many patches he had them on his trouser legs!! He really looked ridiculous.

I like the idea of using the empty space on a sash because it gratifies the natural desire to display a patch and does so in a less obnoxious way. At least everybody would be consistent.

I have a new theory on Roosters double posts. I'm betting that eisely reached his significant status of "senior member" by way of number of posts, not his age, or even perhaps his superior knowledge of the subject matter at hand. :-)?

I'm guessing that Rooster has figured out that he can reach that elevated status sooner than the rest of us here by way of doubling his bet....? :-)

Now, just you wait a minute here...let me don my flame-proof suit before y'all pour on the gasoline and light the match.....remember...I DID put the little "smiley" thing at the end there. That counts, doesn't it?

:-) :-) :-)

I had problems when my account was first established. I tried, but was unable to get hold of anyone at Scouter Network to correct it. So, I guess I'm going to have to live with it.

Surprisingly, no one accused me of being double-minded. This is not too far from the truth. With a few exceptions, after reading everybody's posts, I find myself flip-flopping on many issues (several times). Anyway, when I can't produce a quality argument, I can always impress you with volume.

I think your right about the jamboree patch eisely.

What some of the guys do is get clear plastic patch holders that hang on the right pocket button and just swap the patch out or stitch a button loop on the patch. I don't know where they got the patch sleeves.

As for patches on the back of the sash, it just looks wrong to me. Just an opinion though.

"Anyway, when I can't produce a quality argument, I can always impress you with volume."

Gotta love it, Rooster. :-)

...and we are impressed by volume. How do they say it...it's not how you feel...it's how you look...and you look maaahhhhvelous...we love dee voluuuuummmme, dahlink...

By the way, who says you can't produce a quality argument? I've seen plenty. Keep up the good work.