I need help, anyones help. I am the Scout Master of Troop 552 in Blaine, MN and I have a patrol of 1st year boys and they decided to pick a patrol name that the BSA does not have a patrol patch for "Silver Arrows". I have been searching since last March to find them a patrol patch but short of having one custom made with a minimum Qty of 100 (I have 8 boys). Does anyone have any idea where I can get a Patrol Patch with a "Silver Arrow" on it?

As to wearing the "temporary" patches, may I suggest the Red Vest, which is intended for that purpose!

It may be worn by youth or adult in informal situations (not at a board of review, court of honor, or as part of a color detail).

I made my sons each one, and they are very happy with them. It gives them a place to wear the patches they have earned/recieved over the years, and you do not have to strip them off when the boy bridges to scouts.

Paul Johnson

I have a felt red vest and it is hot and itchy in warm weather! I made my son a red vest out of cotton and he used that in Cub Scouts for all his patches. I am going to make him another one for Boy Scouts, very large so he can grow in to it. Our Scoutmaster wears a tan vest with his patches. Is there a rule that the vest must be red, or for that matter does it have to be a vest or can patches be dispayed on a jacket?

As for the vest, I found that a heavy synthetic felt worked well. To make the vest less "itchy", line it with a satin type material. As for your scout leaders tan patch vest, the only "autorized" color is the red vest. Unless it is an older vest that I am unaware of being autorized, he made it up on his own. I personally think he should get back to the original colors.

"Official Coat" - red wool by Pendleton, may only have a single patch in the back, the official patch in front on the left pocket, and the Philmont Bull on the left shoulder.

I wish you well with your son in Scouts!

Paul Johnson

To quote the BSA Insignia Guide, Special Regulations, Excess Insignia: "Members may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the merit badge sash. Members may wear only one merit badge sash." It also says "Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered." Our troop made a "brag rag" for each boy. It is a cloth banner upon which temporary patches are sewn after having been displayed for a time on the right pocket. We hang them from the wall of our meeting place for courts of honor and such.

Another higher, better, and ultimate use for excess patches is a display board presented to the scout at his eagle court. Our troop makes this part of our tradition and it makes a really nice memento for the young person to carry into adulthood. Of course this does not solve the short term problem, but these displays are really nice.