Once you turn 18 you are no longer a youth member and you do not wear youth ranks on your uniform. Your eagle Rank badge is retired and you wear the adult Eagle rank knot. The Eagle Scout medal is for formal occassions only and can be worn on the Field Uniform (there is no such thing as a class A in Boy Scouts) or on your civilian clothes.

Bob White

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle Scout rank is not a Venturing rank and so the badge is not worn on the Venturing uniform. The Eagle medal can be worn on formal occassions. I am not sure about the knot on a youth member in Venturing. I will check and get back to you.

Bob, just a musing, in our Council we, (the volunteers) have been told that a male Venturer may wear the Eagle rank patch on his green Venturing uniform until he is 21 and then he can wear the knot.

I'd like to see a definitive source on this one, I can accept it either way.

OOPS! my mistake. Page 30 of the Insignia Guide 2003-2005 (lower left hand corner)Earned Boy Scout Rank advancement may be worn on the Venturing uniform, See the Boy Scout section for guidelines.

The guidelines are that you may only wear the current rank, and it is displayed on the left hand shirt pocket of the Field Uniform.

The medal is worn only for formal occassions and the eagle knot is worn by adult members.

Bob White

This doesn't have to do with the eagle award but it does have to do with medals. I was wondering if I as an adult can weary my youth religious award knot on speical occassions. You can wear your knot all the time but i wasn't sure on the medal.

In my copy of the Insignia Guide 1997-1999 (yes I know I need to get a new one) it states:

Cloth badges and embroided square knots are representative of metal pin-on awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer. Generally, when a cloth badge is worn, the metal one is not.

I take that to mean that if a scout were to choose to wear the Eagle Award (medal)on a regular basis he should not wear the Eagle rank (cloth patch). The concept is to avoid wearing two things that say the same thing.

As a practical choice I would think that the cloth patch would be a better choice for daily wear.

Dave

I have read that the Eagle Scout medal is not worn at outdoor events, even if they are Courts of Honor. The only exception is the outdoo Eagle Scout Court of Honor. Has anyone else heard of this?

Regarding OA sashes, the Handbook is rather ambiguous on this matter. If I remember the phrase correctly, it lists "OA events, when representing the OA, and special scouting events." I suppose that most people interpret "special scouting events" to be formal events, but it's just substituting one undefinded term for another. Perhaps that isn't a bad thing; formality can range from area to area. Although the mass at which a friend received his St. George Award technically wasn't a Scouting event (or an OA one), all the scouters attending wore their uniforms. Some of us also wore OA sashes (including the recipient), and I don't feel it to have been out of place.

You can and may wear your medal at any time that you desire. If you want to wear it camping, you may. If you want to wear it whilst cleaning the latrine, you may. However there are conventions for when it is appropriate to wear it just as there are conventions for when you wear a tuxedo.

I would say that any ceremonial occasion such as Court of Honor, Indunction into the Grand Knights of Snoober, or your wedding would be a time to wear it. I'd also wear it anytime that you want to wear all your finery such as your religious medal(s), life saving medal, merit badge sash, etc..

I wouldn't wear it for regular troop meetings, going to little brother's pinewood derby or selling popcorn.

There may also be local customs concerning wearing it at such OA things as Call Out or the secret induction ceremonies.

That's just my opinion. I wish that I had an Eagle medal to wear (sniff)

If an adult wears an Eagle medal ( for Eagle CofHonor, etc. ) is it worn on the left pocket, or above the pocket, covering the eagle knot ? If there are two medals ( scouters training ) are they both worn side by side ?

I've always worn mine on the left pock flap, centered. I don't have any others to wear, so not sure about multiple medals.

I wear mine to Eagle COHs, Scout Sunday, and events such as that. Typically, I haven't worn it to regular COH or other events (such as District Recognition Dinners, B&G Banquets). But I'm not sure why not - I just never have. Maybe I'll start to.

I don't think adults are supposed to wear the MB Sash, at least I never have. Besides, I'm not sure how it would fit around my adult size body now ;-(

Just a note, there are NO 'secret induction ceremonies' in the OA. The OA is NOT a secret organization! According to the Scout Executive of my council, the OA sash is to be worn at all formal Scouting functions referred to in BSA literature as 'special scouting functions'. We do represent the OA at all times, but that is represented by our Lodge flap and the universal arrow ribbon. Also note that the OA sash, universal arrow ribbon, and lodge flap may only be worn by members in good standing of the local OA lodge, this means you must have paid you dues!!

In Scouting,

Lilchpin