I'm 17 years old and would like to know when I turn 18 what are the rules for wearing the Eagle SCout Badge, and medal?

Also when are times that a person can wear their Eagle Scout Medal. I wore my medal at an OA meeting and was told not to ware it. Same at troop meetings. I earned this medal, and should be able to ware it when I want.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take shot at this (but I'm not an expert on the subject)...

To my knowledge, as a Scout (under 18), you can wear your Eagle medal anytime you're in a Class A uniform. I'm surprised that anyone would tell you differently, but then again, I may be out of the loop on this...I can't imagine why though.

I do know this. Once you become a Scouter (registered leader over 18), you can no longer wear the badge, only the square knot. I'm not sure about the medal...

Anyone want to chime in on this one? I'm kinda curious myself.

First, Congratulations on earning Eagle

next, the above postings capture the spirit of what I have been told wearing the Eagle Medal is SUPPOSED to be reserved to formal ocasions such as a Court of Honor, Scout Sunday, something like that. However, I am not sure that you cant wear it anytime you like, indeed my medal has a few mud spots from wearing it when I was a scout on a campout. I was/am proud of the fact I am an Eagle scout.

Once you are 18, you are not to wear the eagle rank patch and you graduate to the square knot core. In out troop, all the adult Eagles wear their Eagle medals only at Eagle COurts of Honor, while I am not sure this is "OK" it is impressive to see us old guys with the medals we are proud of standing around the newest recipient.

On closing, its your medal, wear it as a scout whenever you like

• 4 weeks later...

My personal feeling is that medals (whether worn by youth or adult) should be worn only for special occasions (Courts of Honor, community ceremonies, etc.) Of course, anyone who has earned a medal has the right to wear it whenever they wish, but a couple of things to keep in mind. First, how special is something that is worn all the time? A big reason why certain awards are special is because they are not seen everyday. Second, why would you want to wear the medal all the time? Is it to get recognition for yourself or is it to honor the award? I only wear my Eagle medal to Eagle Courts of Honor to show support for the honoree and "welcome him to the club".

I'm right there with you, Mike.

As to the original question, when do you wear the actual Eagle Award? Technically, one could wear it anytime. However, from a practical sense, wear the Eagle pocket patch until you're eighteen, then change over to the red, white and blue knot. Keep the Eagle award for special occasions. It's a proud moment every time I pin mine on, and it keeps my special award looking nice. I suppose you can always buy a new one if you break it on a rock during a High Adventure trek, but you only get one "original" award.

Sorry,

My comment was supposed to be ironic, Of course you are supposed to be proud of being an Eagle, or Life, or Star or whatever rank you have earned, because you have earned it. Eagle, however, is the only rank you carry into adulthood, or in my case, being older than than a youth (wont admit to being grown-up and cant find anyone who will commit to saying i am an adult)

Sorry if I misled you

I have scanned the Insignia Guide and there is nothing in there about when to wear of medals.

However I did find this paragraph in the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34169A it states:

"Wearing the Awards- Training awards and the equivalent square knots are worn only on uniforms as prescribed in the Insignia Guide, Many Scouters prefer to wear the equivalent square knot on the field uniform."

My interpretation of this is that you may wear it when you wish. The knots are only symbols of the medals earned... They were created because many leaders didn't want to wear medals out on campouts. Now most leaders wear them always. If a leader or youth wanted to wear the medal on their uniform full time then that is their choice. Its more for convience than anything else.

The BSA Insignia Guide, in the Boy Scout Advancement section, says "Eagle Award, silver medal suspended from scroll, ... Adults wear only on formal Eagle occasions." This would seem to imply that until the boy is 18, he can wear it for any occasion, formal or not. For adults though, the Guide specifically says "Adults wear only on formal Eagle occasions". My observation for medals in general, is that most only wear their medals for courts of honor and such. But unless the term "formal" is clearly defined, I would say that whenever the wearer feels proud enough to wear the medal, then that is a formal occasion.

The Insignia Guide is inconsistent about medals and when to wear them. For several, such as the Silver Beaver and Silver Antelope, the Guide says "formal wear". For others such as the Scoutmaster's Key, it says "key or embroidered square knot may be worn", with no mention of whether the occasion is formal or not. For religious emblems it says "Adult religious emblems are generally worn only on formal occasions." My philosphy is that as long as it is in good taste, and not specifically restricted as in the case of the Eagle medal (adults), one may wear his medals whenever desired.

Having said all this, 13EagleT430 has spent close to one third of his life working to earn his Eagle medal and should be entitled to wear it proudly for all the world to see.

• 2 years later...

I am an experienced Scouter, an Eagle and a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow. You may NOT wear the Eagle medal whenever you want. The badge is for everyday wear for youth, as is the square knot for adults. The medal is exclusively for special events, for both youth and adults. Special events include troop Court of Honor, Eagle Court of Honor, Blue and Gold Banquet, District award dinners, and other similar events at the troop, district, council, regional, and national level. It is inappropriate to wear your medal to troop meetings, campouts, ect. This is similar to the policy on the OA sash. The OA sash is only to be worn at OA events and formal events. Hope this helps.

In the Sprit of Scouting,

Lilchpin

Vice Chief of Nacha Tindey Lodge, Order of the Arrow

There are some very good points (and the original question is a good one, too) on this thread.

I remember vividly my Eagle Medal. I remember when, where, and how it was awarded. I remember how it felt on my chest and how proud I was to wear it at every opportunity as a youth Eagle Scout.

I also remember being cautioned by some adults that it was inappropriate to wear it at certain times and in certain places.

I can also remember listening to those adults, but I wasn't happy with it.

However, thanks to them, I can now go upstairs and pull that self-same medal pinned on my chest 25 years and three months ago and hold it in my hands. The red, white and blue ribbon is now brown, tan and purple but it's the medal I was awarded. There is no replacement for it. Sure, I could buy a new one tomorrow, but it wouldn't hold the same sentimental value as MY Eagle medal.

I urge youth to wear it only on occasions where it will not get hurt, lost, or in their way.

FScouter and MrScout referred to the rules of wearing medals for adults. Adults are less likely to lose them, but some adults need reminders that the Eagle rank stands alone in the Boy Scout program as an earned medal of rank. There are times when it is appropriate for adult Eagle Scouts to wear the medal -- mostly, IMHO when they are honoring a young Eagle Scout.

Otherwise, philosophically, I'm inclined to agree with Mike Long, who said in this thread, "I wear my Eagle 24/7. Not the badge or medal, the real eagle, and that's what matters.

I would hope that it would be obvious to everyone what I am through my words and actions.

Proud?

Guilty as charged "

I try, brother. We all should.

DS

I was awarded my Eagle in 2002. At the time I was the OA Lodge Chief. I was also 18 by the time it was awarded so I have never worn the badge. On the other hand I did sometimes where the medal to certain events, such as Lodge Executive Committee meeting that I chaired. It didn't take long for me to realise that the occasion really didn't merit wearing the medal (especially since we always ate dinner during the meetings).

Really the medal should be worn to a small number of functions, such as: Courts of Honor, major Banquests, formal business meetings, and other formal/fancy/important occasions. As to weather an OA meeting would qualify, that really depends on the type of meeting. If I was a Section Chief attending the National Planning Meeting, I would probably wear it. On the other hand a ceremony team meeting would probably not qualify. (Actual OA ceremonies would also probably be formal enough, though for practical reasons I do not wear my medal during those.)

Now I really must make a small correction about the issue of OA sashes that was brought up. OA sashes are not worn just because something is a formal occasion. OA sashes are worn during OA events or when representing the Order. Even while I was Lodge Chief I interpreted that to mean that I would only wear the sash to a non-OA event if I was attending the event in my capacity as Lodge Chief. If I was there in the capacity of an ASM it didn't matter how formal the event was, I still did not wear the sash. I suppose an argument could be made that an Arrowman represents the Order at all times, or at least that an elected officer does, but I do not hold that position. Now I would say there are a few minor exceptions to this when common sense trumps the rules. (The funeral of fellow Arrowman, particularly if you knew them primarily through the OA, if attending in uniform would be an example.)

Wulelensin Woapalanne (Proud Eagle)

(and half proud unoficial junior assistant deputy member of the uniform police)