Webelos Colors

I was recently informed by someone who has been with scouts for decades that the Activity Badges are to be displayed on the Webelos Colors in a certain fashion. Meaning that certain badges are supposed to be displayed on certain colored ribbons.

Anyone else heard this before? If so, which Activity Badges go with which Colors?

The BSA Uniform guide does not specify that a specific badge be worn on a specific color, neither does the inspection sheet.

In my opinion, the only considerations should be 1) where the boy wants it, and 2) put it on a contrasting color so that it may be seen (i.e. put the safety badge on something other than green).

The current policy is that the badges may be worn on the webelos cap OR the colors. This was done because a lot of boys would lose the colors during horseplay.

Paul Johnson

Cubmaster, P-17, Lander, WY

I don't think I agree with the statement that Activity badges may be worn on the cap. I was told that NO pins may be worn on the caps for safety reasons. At one point, back in the 90's when I had Webelos, pins could be worn on the caps and there was a special backing on the Webelos cap to protect the wearers head from the pins. I know that the colors/cap/colors thing has gone back and forth, but what does the Uniform Guide say now?

• 4 weeks later...

We push using the colors in our Pack. The hat is too easily lost. I have never known a specific order for the pins but it sure was a lot easier when I was a WEBELO - only had 15 activities so it was easy math...

Luke

Cubmaster Pack 28 Poplarville, MS

• 3 weeks later...

The Insignia Guide, Cub Scout Advancement section says "Activity badges, metal pins worn on light blue front panel of Webelos cap by Webelos Scouts." It also says "Webelos colors, ... red, yellow, and green tabs. Pack option for wear by Webelos Scouts, ... If colors are worn, activity badges are worn on the tabs." There is no mention of which badge goes on which color. This would seem to imply that the boy may put any badge on any color. I'd agree with Tiny1pj that it would make sense to place the badge on a contrasting color. However it seems clear that the hat is not an option if colors are worn.

• 2 months later...

Back on 10/5/01 sctmom wrote:

>The hats do have a protective piece so the

>back of the pins aren't sticking in the boys

>head.

Just a note: This is no longer the case. The new Webelos hat that appears in the 2002 catalog, and released to stores and Scout Shops at the beginning of last month, does not have the head protector. I have not seen or heard any explanation of why, and it makes no sense to me. Unlike the old hat (dark blue hat with light blue front and webelos symbol on dark blue diamond), the new hat (olive hat with plaid front and new oval Webelos badge)is not "high cut" and sits flush on the head. In other words, that stiff material that made up the fronts of all the Cub Scout hats is gone, and the new hats are just regular-cut caps. With the cap material right up against the boy's forehead, a pin-clasp is MORE likely to scratch the skin... and yet they have removed the "protector." Go figure.

The new Webelos hat is ugly, too, but my son tried one on in a store and said it is more comfortable. Another of those tradeoffs in life. I told my son I would rather he keep wearing the hat I bought for him in September and he was fine with that. If he had really wanted a new hat I would have shelled out the $11. So maybe I should be happy that the hat is ugly.