Those @!!%%$$$ Uniform Shorts

Does everyone have the same problem with the iniform shorts? The kids absolutely hate and for good reason. They are the most umcomfortable pieces of clothing i can think of.

If BSA ever redid the shorts on the order of the Venturer shorts, which look like normal shorts, I am sure they would re-short the entire youth membership. They would make millions of sales with the replacement of the now hated shorts.

Of course this is my opinion I could be wrong,

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my Troop, most boys complain that they are too short...This attribute alone makes them very unpopular. I'd never owed a pair...Whatelse is wrong with them? Regardless, based on what I've heard from the boys, I believe you are correct. BSA stands to gain a lot income if they redesign their shorts.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest problem with shorts in the past has been the way they are sometimes cut in the crotch. I am not sure that the length isn't merely a fashion issue. Haven't you noticed how shorts in recent years vary in length like skirts' hemlines? Too bad the boys don't want to accept the uniform for what it is, but I don't think scouts should look like gang bangers.

eisely

You have spoken the words of a great many. In days gone by you would be called wise and your words wisdom.

Gangbangers! I like that. Hey National lets move to a short along the lines of BDU's. These are mainly a field wear item and they need to be made functional.

Uncle Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I must strongly disagree with pwlane. If there is a problem, it needs to be addressed. When I logged onto the supply division web site, I was initially happy to see a "survey" - but then greatly disappointed to see that it would only allow a SINGLE improvement suggestion. We need to make our voices heard, that the quality has to improve, along with the prices, or a number of the boys will be going without.

I have an "experienced" uniform closet, and it is very sad to see a uniform that has been through a single boy look worse than one that has been through many boys, and obviously used. The uniform that was through a single boy was my son's, and he was very active. Yet the uniform that is 40+ years old, is brighter, seams stronger, and material thicker than a uniform that I bought new just 3 years ago.

I have to make my own clothes due to being confined to a wheelchair and being large (6'6" tall, 350 lbs). There is not a single pair of pants or a shirt that will fit me out of the box. I cannot even wear the socks as they are too small, and a larger pair is not available (I wear a 15 wide). The regulation socks are like a tourniquet on my leg, and being a diabetic that is definately not healthy.

Paul Johnson

Cubmaster, Troop committee chair, District committee, Wood badge, ....

• 2 months later...

To "Coolscout101" - Your last post shows that you are definately NOT cool.

Remember the Scout oath "do my duty to God and my Country"

and to "to HELP other people at all times"

and in the Scout Law "Helpful, kind"

The attitude shown by "That's your problem, not mine" shows a lack of these things in your life.

Most of us in these forums have tried to help solve problems for other scouts and scouters. There are a few things that will take a concerted effort on the part of all of us. Specifically anything that has to do with policy or uniforms.

Paul Johnson

Lander, WY

Tiny/Paul

In AOL chat rooms there is a term that is used, its called a SNERT ALERT, SNERT stands for

Snot

Nosed

Egotisical

Rude

Teen-ager

Then we all put the offender on the ignore button.

I suggest we all put this SNERT on ignore. And I will ask the forum moderators to remove his unscoutlike postings.

and by the way Paul, I see you are in Lander, Wyoming. I was there last year on a business trip. It is very wild, while jogging in the morning around the childrens home I found myself in the midst of an Antelope herd. Then the folks I was working with told me about the disappearing river. It goes in a cave and never comes out. A quarter mile later is starts up again as a spring.

That and the bronze statues everywhere makes Lander a memorable place

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, those beloved Venturing shorts. You could deluge them in fabric softener for years, and they could still stand up on their own accord. I don't have a problem with newer Boy Scout shorts (remember to chose the size carefully), but those Venturing shorts are something else.

Yes, it sure is beautiful. I worked at the State School until my disability. My wife currently is on here 23rd year there.

We keep getting new statues every few months, it seems. The local foundry has made many of the bronzes that are seen around the country. They store the statues at various locations around town until shipped to the buyer.

Of the permanent statues, in town, only 2 were paid for by tax receipts. The Antelope just south of the main intersection, and the Lander Lil, across the street. Lander Lil is a Prairie Dog, and is our equivalent to Puxatawny Phil.

Aren't the antelope a beautiful animal? Although I do hunt them (for food), I love watching them. They are the most curious animals (except maybe a cat) I have ever seen. It is fun to watch them try to figure out what something is when the see it.

The river you mention is the Popo Agie (Poposhu) and the places are the Sinks and the Rise. There is more water comming out than going in!!!

For any troops looking for a great long trip, I reccomend Camp Buffalo Bill, near Yellowstone, and also making a side trip to the Lander region.

Give me a call if you get in the area.

God bless all

Paul Johnson

• 2 months later...

If it makes you feel any better, gentlemen, the women's shorts fit women as if they were men - that is to say, not well at all. Waist too big or hips too small, take your pick, bunch and gather in the crotch, sheesh. Yes, I confess to being generous in proportion but looking at these things, I can't imagine a time in my life when I was ever shaped that way, including my early twenties when I was a size 7!

I assume that there was a particularly rude post that has thankfully been removed about Tiny. Being pretty dedicated to the idea that Scouting is for everyone including the differently abled (physically, mentally, and emotionally handicapped, I have them all if you let me count both my boy and girl scout troops). I'm especially happy to hear of an adult wheelchair user setting such a good example for the kids by volunteering, thereby PROVING that a physical handicap doesn't mean that you have to hide in a corner and watch TV all day. I'm glad we have a moderator with a delete key.

But I wanted to pick his brain as we have a new scout in our troop that is about(?) his size - young man is 16 but towers over everyone and although I have not asked, I'm virtually certain he's bigger than the biggest off-the-rack size. Money is an issue for this family so having to buy TWO made-to-measure uniforms out of the catalog is cost-prohibitive. How did you solve this? Can you buy the fabric anywhere as you can for Girl Scouts? We really need to know as this young man wants, needs and deserves to be able to wear a uniform. I think between the adults in the troop there is enough sewing talent to manage.

I've yet to see a pattern or the material for BSA uniforms. Maybe some others have at some point.

Sager, another option possibly is looking into does the troop have a "needy scout fund". My son's troop does. The boy's have individual accounts that part of their fundraising goes into. When a boy leaves the troop he can ask for his money back or to go to the needy fund. If 6 months pass and he hasn't asked for his money, it automatically goes to the needy scout fund. The parents are told about this fund when signing up for the troop. No one else needs to know where he got his uniform other than the scoutmaster and his parents. Depending on your chartering organization, you may even be able to ask them about helping pay for his uniform or starting a "needy scout fund".