Campaign hats for female Scouters

Our Wood Badge SM has declared that all staff will wear campaign hats, including the female staffers (currently I am the only female Scouter on staff). I always thought the campaign hat was NOT authorized for women, but I've been mistaken once or twice in the past :-). Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Is there a definitive resource, such as the Insignia Control Guide, Uniform Inspection Sheet, Scoutmaster's Manual, etc. that states one way or the other whether or not female Scouters wear the campaign hat? Should I contact National? As you may have gathered, I am not real happy with the idea of wearing the campaign hat.

• 3 years later...

Scamp,

The Insignia Guide 2002-2005 version does address headgear regulations. It talks about official headgear but then does not define what that is.

However, there are uniform inspection sheets available, and I suppose they are "Official" references.

The Male Leader Uniform Inspection Sheet states: "Boy Scout leaders wear the olive and red visor cap, or campaign hat. Cub Scout leaders wear the blue and gold visor cap. Webelos leaders wear the blue Webles cap. Varsity Scout leaders wear the blaze visor cap."

The Female Leader Uniform Inspection Sheet state: "Cap (optional) Leaders wear the same visored cap as the youth they serve - blue and gold for Cub Scouting, bule and light blue for Webelos Scouting, olive and red for Boy Scouting and blaze for Varisty SCouting. Campaign hat may be worn at troop option for Boy Scout Leaders."

I am not sure of the authority of a WB course director to dictate the uniform. Although I can understand where they would want as much uniformity as possible. But I would question a requirement for a female leader to wear a hat when an official publication says it is optional.

So it appears that female leaders can wear the campaign hat. And I see nothing wrong with it if the female leader wants to wear one.

BTW - and I know this has nothing to do with this, but in the military, female Marine Corps Drill Instructors wear the campaign hat while female Army Drill Sergeants do not - they wear an "Aussie" style hat that is pinned up on one side.