Uniform Costs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy all:

I have a small uniform bank in the Lakewood, CO area.

I have blue and tan shirts, pants, shorts, neckerchiefs, some belts, hats, socks, and other items available at half of retail or less. Please take a look at http://www.geocities.com/o_sheffler/experien.html for addional information.

I will also sew your insignia on uniforms purchased from EUX, and all items are returnable for exchange or refund (less shipping costs, of course).

Keep on Scoutin'

ora

• 4 weeks later...

I guess that much depends on your point of view. I think that the uniforms are expensive for what you get. However, when you think of the $150 jackets that many kids wear, the uniforms aren't that expensive.

The trousers are pretty bad. Quality and fit sucks. However, the legs are incredibly long so they'll fit for years if the tailor doesn't whack the bottoms off the first time around.

For my part, I don't own an official pair of trousers. For winter I wear a 1951 vintage pair of Army trousers, a perfect color match. For spring and fall, I wear a pair of 1968 vintage Army sateen fatigues, not a perfect color match but better than blue jeans. For summer I have some shorts from Columbia that work fine. My problem with the uniform trousers is not just the quality but also the fit. I'm fairly tall and I cannot get a pair that has a long enough rise without special ordering them.

BTW, for you chubby fellows (I am one), an extra inch or two of rise makes all trousers look better. Your gut doesn't flop over your belt and you actually look slimmer. Also, to help keep your trousers up, use a "Flex Belt", a rubber belt with nubs that hold the shirt down and the trousers up. They are sold in uniform and sport's officials stores everywhere (www.honigs.com)

My son & I just graduated from the Tiger Cub rank. I, too, am dismayed at the high cost of the uniforms, especially considering that I am in the process of purchasing a Cub Scout uniform & a den leader uniform. To ease the burden on my checking account I tried hunting for uniform pieces at our local Good Will & Salvation Army stores. Ironically I can't find anything now whereas there was plenty of scouting inventory during Halloween. I found some success via e-Bay. I was able to outfit my son with used uniform pieces that I bid & won on e-Bay. I found his shirt (with a few patches) for $14 and his new shorts for $1! I haven't been so lucky trying to find den leader pieces; everything seems to be too small, too large, or for men.

The cost of Cub/Boy Scout uniforms is no more and maybe less expensive than organized sports uniforms. The thing to remember for Boy Scouts is to buy a uniform ths Scout will be able to wear for a lot of years. This way, the up fron cost might be high but in the long run, the cost will be low.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed sed, " The thing to remember for Boy Scouts is to buy a uniform ths Scout will be able to wear for a lot of years. This way, the up fron cost might be high but in the long run, the cost will be low."

The bad thing is that too many people take the "many years" thing too far. I know one scout whose mother bought him a men's medium shirt. What's wrong with that? Well, I'm 6'2" tall and I fit a men's medium until I hit 190 lbs and this boy is a small 10 year old. The poor kid is swimming in it. The other side of the coin are the parents who don't buy their kids new shirt even though he outgrew it a year ago because "he'll only need it another year."

• 2 weeks later...

How do we contact National about this subject? The cost vs. functionality of the uniform is not balanced.

I was very sad to see the new pant design. They should have designed cargo pants that transform to shorts- perfect for year round use! And, if they offered them in Nylon, then they would be appropriate in rainy conditions as well. Scout trousers cost $36 and shorts cost $30 = $66 for something that is not practical for outdoor use.

I can buy nylon cargo pants for about $35, and cotton for less.

I think the people who came up with this pant design sit in an office and haven't been camping with kids in thirty years.

Hi Sourgum:

You are right that the BSA uniform pants are costly and that they aren't designed for outdoor activities. I think that the National Supply attempted to design a uniform that would be as best a cross-functional uniform as possible. They probobly looked at the design from the standpoint of when the boy would actually use the uniform pants; during ceremonies and events where many people would see them. I think they designed the pants to look nice, and not as an outdoor uniform.

I recently heard of a parent complaining that they spent $500 for hockey equipment for their son to play one season of hockey. I wish I had that budget for Scouting. I tend to waste my spare money on food and shelter.

I am sure that every single Scout and Scouter has his/her own opinion as to the design of the uniform and why their design is more appropriate. It would be difficult to please everyone. I think that they got a lot of feedback about the removal of the cargo pocket on the pant leg, so they brought that back with the little coin pocket on the front of the pants. I would guess that they had to weigh cost into the formula. The result is rather disappointing. My personal preference is to wear a belt or back pack to store kit, rather than my pants pockets. That's just me, however. I know some people like having 30# of extra junk in their pockets.

My advise, FWIIW, is to buy the pants YOU feel comfortable wearing in the woods, and wear them. I cannot stand the conversion pants--the hem irritates my legs when walking up hills. My solution is to bring lightweight exercise pants along and when it gets too cool to wear shorts, I slip the long pants over the shorts.

If you want the BSA pants, wear them to functions where the general public will see you; Unit ceremonies, community events, Jamboree, etc. When you are really doing ScOuting, wear your comfortable camping pants.

Keep on Scoutin' ora

I too agree that the uniforms are of poor quality and over priced.

My son has gone through many items over his years of camping. (yes, one of the rare boys that wears the full uniform all the time) Some he outgrew, but most were just so poorly constructed that they fell apart when he used them for the Scouting activities they are supposedly designed to be used for.

I could go on and on about poor fit, quality, etc..

Surely a better uniform could be produced for a better cost. I wouldn't mind the expense if I were getting a comfortable quality product.

I wish I felt like my complaints would be heard and make a difference.

SouthPole Scout,

If you are reffering to the dress uniform, one problem is that it is not meant to wear for all scout activities. It is not designed for or recommended for many scout activities.

The various boy and leader handbooks all say that the scout should dress appropriately for outdoor activities and that the dress Uniform is for some troop meetings and for formal situations such as parades and Courts of Honor.

No piece of clothing is designed or constructed to fit all activities in all weather all the time. It sounds like you expect the uniform to do far more things than it is designed for or required for.

Bob White

Bob -

You stated - "The dress Uniform is for some troop meetings and for formal situations such as parades and Courts of Honor.

No piece of clothing is designed or constructed to fit all activities in all weather all the time. It sounds like you expect the uniform to do far more things than it is designed for or required for."

I agree with you, however, our SM is one of those that require a full uniform (less MB sash which is just worn at COA) for almost all activities, including camping. The boys are allowed to bring scout T-Shirts & jeans camping as extras but are required to wear the full uniform. There are also only a very few (1-2) troop meetings where they are allowed to wear "class B" uniforms. This sure does tend to wear them out fast!

LauraMO - For the Cub Scout uniform you should check out area garage sales. You might find that some people will put their son's old uniform on sale after he has graduated out of Cubs. Also check your area Parocial schools. Navy blue pants are usually part of the school uniform and they might sell used uniform pieces. Last, if you wait until closer to August, National usually has a coupon for a reduced cost if you buy a complete uniform.

For your uniform, I would go with a men's tan shirt. They are roomier, seem to be studier, and the tan looks MUCH better than the yellow!

BTW - Congratulations on joining the ranks of crazy leaders!!