I would like to start of by stating I belive in uniforms and that they should be worn correctly and that anything less is just wrong. Next I would like to know why they cost what they do and who designed these new pants? What a waste. First of all I think BSA should have developed (2)styles of uniform long pants. One a dress pair and the second a field pant based on the BDU. (I don't endorse camo.) Kids love them adults love them, they are comfortable and unlike the pockets on the 'new' pant these can hold a lot of neat stuff. Adult; first aide kit, compass, rope, book, bug spray, etc... Kids; frogs, rocks, rope, food, candy, sticks, anything found on the ground, etc... Shorts should be of the field 'BDU' style. The shirts, well I guess they are ok but give us square pockets. How can we contact National and let them know they need to make a change in both style and cost fast. I bet if they eliminate the number of styles they will reduce their inventory, if they change the style more people would wear them, and if you get a handle on the price they will sell more.

Uncle Bob, I hardly know you, but I love you man! Indeed, while buying a Venturing Uniform, I asked about pants. The Scout store said they dont stock them because they cost 56 dollars, I mouthed the word 56? And she said, see, thats why we dont stock them!!! It seems Uniforms must be the cash raiser in BSA, I know I can find similar clothes at much less and has anyone ever seen a BSA store have a sale?

No kidding! Our uniforms need to be Practical for the outdoor program. I would love to have uniforms that we could wear while backpacking, canoeing, ect. As it stands, our boys don't wear the uniform in the field because they all saved their money and bought "real" technical clothing. We even had cool-max t-shirts printed as a class "B" uniform.

Why don't we start a petition and ask national to revise the uniforms AND look into the cost issue?

I am always amused at pictures in Scouter magazine showing members hiking through the woods or doing other things in full Class A uniforms. Clearly posed.

I think the uniform question may be unsolvable. Having a single uniform suitable for all occasions is clearly impossible. The scouts may find it feasible to come out with satsifactory outdoor products, but there are so many options in the marketplace for outdoor wear, I doubt that the scouts could compete on price.

Be all that as it may, there are two less expensive uniform items I still don't think the scouts have right: socks and hats. The scouts appear to have resisted for years coming out with a fabric broad brimmed hat for outdoor wear. The current boonie hat type product may be OK, but I would advise my scouts to buy something with a broader brim and a chin strap. The uniform socks are clearly not usable for serious purposes such as hiking. The fabric is wrong for that purpose and the weave is too coarse. The socks are often poorly made. I wear them only for dress occasions.

The inability of the scouts to provide simple head and foot wear does not instill confidence.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an ongoing problem; getting people in uniform, quality and functional uniform items, etc. I've been called the "uniform police" in my district, and some have gotten tired of me. I believe in wearing a full, proper uniform, but can't see it when physical or weather conditions dictate more technical wear. I keep hoping BSA will solve this delima eventually. Until then, I'll keep "doing my best".

Uncle Bob...you are right on! I'm especially annoyed with the lack of praticality of the pants and socks. Also even with a uniform swap program you can't outfit a boy for a reasonable price. At one time uniforms helped erase "class" differences between kids (that's one reason schools use them). Does anyone know if school uniforms are as expensive as Scout uniforms? I don't know. I know the French Toast company has an extensive side business in school uniforms. I wonder what they could do for Scouting?

• 4 weeks later...

I used to endorse the full Class A uniform. At one time in my life, I was a camp director and program director. I always harped on my staff about setting the example. Then I noticed that we did not have one single troop in our council that wore the entire Class A uniform. I started an incentive program at our summer camp. Each troop that came to camp in full uniform would get free pizza instead of one of the regular meals. After about 2 or 3 years, we had about 5 troops in full uniform. Now however, I encourage all of my Scouts to go down to Target and get a pair of Dockers. After all, they can buy about 3 pairs of Dockers and wear them to school for the cost of one pair of Official BSA pants.

I wrote the National Supply Division and informed them that it would cost over $125 to outfit a Scout in full uniform. I received no response- go figure. Im sorry but I find it very sad that while the Boy Scouts push the full uniform, they make it impossible for probably 75% of its members to buy one.

I too get a kick form those posed pictures in Scouting and Boys Life. Give me a break- I have a hard enough time getting Scouts to remember just their shirt at meetings.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the whole uniform for my boy. I bought the pants up one size because they were expensive, but fortunately they now have elastic in the waist. The pants 12-14 are about one foot longer than he is. I cut them off but still have a 6" hem. He only wears them for dress when he is representing Scouting in non outdoor activities and for BOR and COH. Very few of the other boys can afford or are willing to wear the full uniform and all troops around here only require: shirt, neckerchief and slide. My boy, probably like many others, goes through slides, socks and hats. He loses everything. Awefully expensive to replace.

p.s. The Girl Scout uniforms are just as expensive, and not as uniform. It is also a great deal more difficult to get clothes conscious girls to wear anyone's idea of a uniform and most don't. You think you've got problems.

• 2 weeks later...

The current uniforms are too expensive and not practical for what we would like to do in them. They should not be a tool to be used to make money at the expense of the boys. We need something that is for the field and inexpensive.

As a result of the expense and relative inadequacies of the current Scout uniforms for rugged outdoor wear, we forgo the notion of appearing 'uniform' when camping and hiking in the woods. It is far more practical to have the Scouts wearing clothing that stands up to the rigors of the craft we practice. Jeans and such serve the purpose well.

The only thing we require as uniforn in the woods are the t-shirts we had printed for our troop.

In case anyone is interested, I was a screen printer for 10 years and have a huge knowledge of printing t-shirts and would be more than happy to answer any questions about the process, what to look out for ect.

About screen printing: I took a class on it at a University of Scouting in Houston back in the early 90s. It was really easy with the right equipment. The only supply company I know of is Welsh Products. I'm sure there are others. Are there any less expensive than Welsh for small time printing, as in a small troop?

Screenprinting easy? That's a relative observation :-). It's as easy as you make it though. I was a commercial printer specializing in photographic reproducion on dark and textured fabrics. That ain't easy. But it IS easy to do DIY troop shirts. I printed some for my troop back in '87 on the kitchen table and they still look pretty good.

If you want to take the DIY route most art supply stores, craft and graphics stores sell the necessary equipment. I used to make a sort of hobby of pushing the technology the "wrong" direction. I've even printed shirts with latex house paint.

You might want to try DickBlick.com they have a good selection of supplies.

Having just purchased a pair of the "new" adult uniform pants, I feel that the designer of the pants should be taken out behind the woodshed and taught a good lesson. With that said, let me play the Devil's advocate for a moment...I agree that uniforms are VERY expensive, but stop and think about how long you have owned your current BSA issue uniforms, and their current condition. If they are anything like mine, my shirt is 6 years old and still looks good! I would still be wearing my old uniform pants if it weren't for the 23 pounds I packed on when I quit smoking. Anyway, the point here is that while I agree with purchasing shorts and long pants at Walmart or K-Mart, the fact is they do not last anywhere near as long as BSA issued clothing. The biggest argument against purchasing official pants / shorts has always been "the boy's outgrow them so fast!", and I agree with that statement. This reinforces the absolute necessity of each and every District starting a uniform exchange program. I am sure that a volunteer could be found in each and every District nationwide to coordinate a program to recycle and reuse outgrown uniforms.