I am a patrol leader. My patrol is out of control. It seems that I can find no respect for me, the SPL or any other jr. leader for about 1/2 of my patrol members. They also have problems "remembering" their jobs(Scribe etc.)

REspect is a hard thing to get and sometimes it is not what you wanted once you have it.

If you have not had Junior Leadership Training, one of the best lessons init teaches how to deal with difficult Scouts. Which is what it sounds like you have. I would first start paying attention to my job and concentrate on being a LEADER. The best way to do that is to lead...using the 12 points of the Scout Law, the Scout Motto, and the Scout Slogan, you can not go wrong. Then, as I referred to the JLT class, learn to use the "question". Instead of trying to tell people how to or how not to....or to do or not to do, Try asking questions which will cause them to start thinking for themselves. Such as, Problem: Senioe Patrol Leader asks you "can't you get you patrol in shape?" Your responce could be well, how would you do it? Or I can't get them to listen...How do you do it? People have respect for others who are anxious to learn - especially from them! Even if they don't develop respect for you as a result of your asking them for their opinions, they will begin to see you in a different light.

If they suggest something you have already tried, you could say, "That's great. Do you have any experiences like this where you have used or seen others use other methods of coping which worked well?"

You and your Patrol could also start being examples of the kind of Scouts you would like the others to be in the Troop. Smiling, friendly, helpful...sound fimiliar? If you want the Troop to be a certain way - FRIENDLY - you have to start the ball rolling. You all have to be the example, no matter how hard it is or how long it takes you. You can make a difference and when you do, you will be the LEADER you wanted to be.

One of the best things you or the SPL can do to overcome the problem is to give your troublemakers jobs (responsibility) the old adage of, "busy hands stop the devil's work" is true. If they have to feel the brunt of uncooperative people it might substantially change their attitudes and behavior.